• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Ride till the sunset! [Riding Pokemon Speculation Thread]

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
  • In XY, there was a feature that allows you to ride specific Pokemon in specific routes. You could ride a Skiddo in Route 12, Mamoswine in Route 17, Rhyhorn in Route 9 and Vaniville, and even Lapras while surfing.

Do you think this feature will return in ORAS? Will there be more surfable Pokemon, like Wailmer or Gyarados, introduced like Lapras? Will there be a route that forbids you to cross, without riding a Pokemon?

Discuss!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I hated those places that prevented swimming in XY. I wanted to Swim in Laverre's pond, as well the river around the castle :(

Anyways I am not sure if it'll return. It seems like a Kalos only thing tbh.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • Do you think this feature will return in ORAS?
    Not particularly.

Will there be more surfable Pokemon, like Wailmer or Gyarados, introduced like Lapras?
    Doubtful.

Will there be a route that forbids you to cross, without riding a Pokemon?
    Seeing as it wasn't in the originals, I doubt they would carry over this sort of gimmick. I could be wrong, though.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I hope they take what they did with X/Y and build on it to improve the quality of the game. i.e. using the formula of riding pokemon and creating a TM that would allow you to ride x pokemons on the overworld at anytime and anywhere outside.
    With 3D models and what X/Y showed us, I believe that if done right placing bone structures into the models (I'm sorry if I'm wrong but this is how we mod on Gmod, the bones are basically the lines and joints that allow parts to move) would allow the riding motion to be done for all ridable pokemon.

TL;DR: make all pokemonm you'd assume are rideable, rideable at any time anywhere. Make this game amazing

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It probably won't be returning, but I'd definitely like it if it did. To me, it seems as if they're attempting to make ride-able Pokémon more established, as it makes games resemble anime better. Though, there's still a lot that they need to work on in terms of this feature, which might take another generation or two to fully get done.

Surfing Pokémon has a huge possibility of happening, because, well, this is what you do when you surf--you're actually on your Pokémon, they're carrying you. Seeing over-worlds of them alongside definitely wouldn't hurt, if you ask me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    It would be better to keep the addition exclusive for X/Y. Yeah, there'll definitely be people who will disagree with this but I feel they shouldn't add everything that X/Y has and dump it into OR/AS. If they did that, there wouldn't be any "specialness" to X/Y besides the story. I can see them both having different features, although they could have something different like Pokémon Riding minigames? ^_^

Years
  • Not that XY had interesting story to begin with either :P

But yeah, they should keep some stuff exclusive to the Kalos games. I hope that they expand on the feature in 'Z' or a future generation (but then it won't be exclusive to Kalos...unless they're XY remakes...).

Years
  • I don't think anyone would complain if you were able to ride a Tropius around Fortree, but I doubt they're going to implement this feature. It would be cool, but seems like they wanted it to remain in Kalos only, with the creation of Gogoat, and the overall terrain of Kalos having areas that needed a Pokemon ride to get through.

Years
  • I loved riding Pokemon in XY, even though you didn't get to do it much ;; However, I'm ambivalent about it being in ORAS. On one hand, it'd be cool to have it return, and maybe have it appear more often. On the flip side, I agree with those who think it should be exclusive to XY, plus I'm having a hard time figuring out where you might be able to ride Pokemon XD Even if it were just something like riding Gogoats, none of the cities are big/circular enough for it to work. Still, I'd love to be able to ride a Tropius, hnnngh.

Years
  • I don't think anyone would complain if you were able to ride a Tropius around Fortree, but I doubt they're going to implement this feature. It would be cool, but seems like they wanted it to remain in Kalos only, with the creation of Gogoat, and the overall terrain of Kalos having areas that needed a Pokemon ride to get through.

Tropius is quite a big Pokemon, and Fortree is quite small so it would be odd to ride one...maybe fly over the city...

Years
  • I just wanted them to let our Pokemon follow us around everywhere! One of the many reasons HG/SS is one of my favourite Pokemon games....That and the ridiculous amounts of content in it!

I wish that was back too. Or that GF did something that was special to these remakes like that. Maybe the dressing up of Pokemon for Aime will be Hoenn's version of HGSS' special follow me feature...
    I didn't care much for riding in Y tbh.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Tropius is quite a big Pokemon, and Fortree is quite small so it would be odd to ride one...maybe fly over the city...

Yeah, flying-over is what he probably means. Even so, let's not forget that with 3D and all our new-generation graphics, Fortree City is going to seem much bigger than before, and with that, you'd still be able to actually ride Tropius. Hope I'm making some sense here!

Personally, I'd love it, considering how well such a Pokémon suits this place.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I wish that was back too. Or that GF did something that was special to these remakes like that. Maybe the dressing up of Pokemon for Aime will be Hoenn's version of HGSS' special follow me feature...
    I didn't care much for riding in Y tbh.
    I don't think the creators intended for the overworld sprites following you to be a feature just for Heart Gold and Soul Silver. There exists code for sprites to follow you in Black 2 and White 2. In addition the game has about 500 Pokemon overworld sprites. With very little effort, because of all that existing material, hackers have been able to make Pokemon follow you on the overworld again.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I don't know where they would include the riding feature, so I doubt that they will include it. Riding also wasn't in the original games, and I can't really imagine why they would add it in now because it would just be "for the sake of it." It seems to just be a Kalos thing. I don't really mind, though, and might actually prefer it if we don't get the riding feature because riding on a Rhyhorn was pretty slow!

Years
  • Yeah, flying-over is what he probably means. Even so, let's not forget that with 3D and all our new-generation graphics, Fortree City is going to seem much bigger than before, and with that, you'd still be able to actually ride Tropius. Hope I'm making some sense here!

Personally, I'd love it, considering how well such a Pokémon suits this place.

In the trailer they showed it didn't look much bigger, so unless they change it we're still getting a small Fortree.

Maybe in the very tall grass for people like Hikamaru who don't like it when their character is buried in grass ;)

Rettan

~Oddish_Smoker~
    Years
  • Rideble Pokemon were AWESOME,
    I strongly wish this comes back in ORAS, there are potential places for it like the Desert. I think Lapras could stay as a sprite for Surfing like in XY and it would be pretty awesome to have a Wailmer (more detailed) to surf on, or some other Pokemon.

There could be non surfable places like in the Battle Frontier if introduced.

Back