• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ridiculous things in Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2008
    This thread is in no way intended to bash or critisize Pokemon. It is just a bit of fun. The Idea is pretty much to say things that are in the Pokemon anime or games that are just so ridiculous that they are funny.

Here are some:

Ash's Mum just lets him leave home when he is 10 years old. Obviously it would be lame if every episode he looked for Pokemon at the park or something, but it is still pretty funny.

The fact that Ash always falls for Team Rocket's stupid disguises.

The Pokemon dont just run away as soon as they are let out of their Pokeballs.

The trainers trade Pokemon for their own success, even though the poor Pokemon are probably emotionally attatched to them.

The Pokemon somehow fit inside a tiny little ball.

Post some of you own!

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    The trainers trade Pokemon for their own success, even though the poor Pokemon are probably emotionally attatched to them.
    Many real humans don't care about other creatures' emotions either -.-

Anyway, I have always wondered...

Why Pokémon, which could easily overpower a human follow their orders just because they have been caught in a Pokéball (and the fact that they fit into those things is pretty weird too)

How Ash's Pikachu usually totally obliterates any opponent, but lost to Norman's Vigoroth and had trouble taking down a puny Taillow -_-

There are countless other things that I have been wondering too, but I can't seem to think of anything right now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2008
    Yeah its weird how someone catches a pokemon and the Pokemon suddenly likes them for no reason. I would think that the Pokemon would hate the person that took them away from their habitat.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    Fire_Pikachu said:
    Yeah its weird how someone catches a pokemon and the Pokemon suddenly likes them for no reason. I would think that the Pokemon would hate the person that took them away from their habitat.

I think it's mainly becuse of the hidden power of the PoKeBall that make's that happen... What I fine funny is that all the funny scenes that happen in the show. sometimes you have to look closely to notice them..

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2008
    Do you mean like how in the Challenge of the Samurai episode for example where the metapods are battling and Pikachu and Misty are all of a sudden sunbaking on banana lounges and Misty is in a bikini, then a minute later they arent?

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
    Years
    Guys, its a cartoon. Its not meant to be excessively realistic in any way, if it was, Team Rocket would be dead by now. There are some intricacies, but things such as : Misty and Pikachu sunbathing, shouldn't be too abstruse to figure out -_-
    The Pokemon somehow fit inside a tiny little ball.
    The Pokeball transposes the Pokemon into energy, and the little energy speculums on the inside are what keeps the Pokemon from getting out. Yet, the pokemon do maintain a will of their own and are able to overpower the mechanism and release themselves, though they remain within the Pokeball due to obedience. I presuppose that when they are called from the Pokeball, they can release themselves or may choose to stay in, but the trainer has no say in this: the trainer just throws the Pokeball and says the Pokemon's name - to signal to the Pokemon that it has to come out. The fact that the Pokemon is fully aware of what is happening outside of its Pokeball is apodictic.

Also, not all Pokemon can be placed into Pokeballs. As we have seen in the anime, certain Pokemon such as Mew, Mewtwo, or Celebi, contain too much power for a regular Pokeball to even hold.

Why Pokémon, which could easily overpower a human follow their orders just because they have been caught in a Pokéball (and the fact that they fit into those things is pretty weird too)
    I surmise that's due to the fact that upon capture the Pokemon's respect is earned. Pokemon are basically the animal-figures within the show, so their behavior and characteristics are analogous. Animal's are more sensitive to human emotions and their sense - which well exceed ours - allow them to already know us, even before they know us. Pokemon are the same way. It is also, common within the animal kingdom for animal's to have a scrimmage as means of earning veneration; which is why battling the Pokemon is encouraged (aside from just weakening it). You earn the Pokemon's respect, because you have proven to them that you are a worthy opponent and that you have authority. The Pokemon's personality also comes to mind, you have some Pokemon who just can't be tamed or won't listen, and others grow strongly attached to their trainers upon first glance. Badges, too, play a part; if you don't have the right badges then certain Pokemon of higher levels will never obey you. I'm certain that Pokemon do have some form of honor, loyalty, and respect or they could just be disquisitive about humans and want to know more. They're moderately smart creatures. >_>

Its all similar to us in real life. Why does your dog obey you when you tell it to sit? Even if the dog is trained, it could still just runaway, it has the will and ability. Another example would be, why does an elephant listen to its tamer? The elephant is aware of size discrepancies in both stature and aptitude, so it could just kill the tamer and leave, it has the will, but yet it doesn't. Wild animals could overtake the earth and destroy all of mankind, but yet, they haven't.

How Ash's Pikachu usually totally obliterates any opponent, but lost to Norman's Vigoroth and had trouble taking down a puny Taillow -_-
    Size doesn't matter if you're proficient and able-bodied; and despite experience, you can still lose if pitted against a skilled, and strategic opponent with a strong will to win. You also have to take into account each Pokemon's unique abilities. No matter how good you get, you will always have the potential to lose.

I'll tell you what I find ridiculous once I find a reason that isn't ridiculous.

Psycho

Last edited:

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Fire_Pikachu said:
    The fact that Ash always falls for Team Rocket's stupid disguises.

Yeah, I've always just assumed that Ash and co. are stupid. ^-^ j/k

Actually, sometimes TR's disguises are pretty good, but those ones where they just put a pair of sunglasses on and ask to see Ash's Pikachu... I have no excuse for that. ^-^ Maybe they're naive?

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Pokémon must possess incredibly high intelligence to accurately obey its trainer's commands on the first battle. Of course, there are exceptions. Hint: Psyduck. Even a dog needs a sufficient amount of training before (partially) understanding the human dialect.

Anyway, on topic. These reasons are all technical; I still like poking (un)realism in cartoons~

-the countless, illegal cloning of Nurse Joys/Officer Jennys. Amusing yet mystifying all the same.
    -Team Rocket's inability to die after being flung miles up in the air.
    -Why two superb gym leaders would give up their time to follow an aspiring 10 year old around.
    -Why Pichu hasn't made a decent appearance in the anime. >O
    -Why Ash needs to play hero all the time and be so painfully ignorant. x_X;

I agree with Psycho on the reasons why Pokémon obey. Eloquently put~ <3

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 9, 2009
    Pikachu punks Ash so he doen't have to stay in a pokeball.

Silverwing

Under the Sun, Over the Sky~
    Years
    How Team Rocket could re-locate Ash and co. after being "blasted off again" miles away.

Why Team Rocket isn't killed by the fall after being blasted off.

How Team Rocket gets the money/time to build those giant machines they keep using.

How Team Rocket keeps repairing the Meowth balloon.

Why Ash and co. ALWAYS I mean ALWAYS have to meet a random person in every episode and make friends with them. Pokemon is just too childish now. I've lost my interest in watching the episodes because of that.

Yeah, lots of stuff about Team Rocket...

RLan69

Pokemon Junkie Extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    (see first movie for this one)
    How could Pikachu just Thunderbolt a Golem and KO it in one shot...

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    How can the Pokédex give Snorlax's length as 211 centimetres and the animé let it block a creek that's ostensibly wider than that? (Episode 38, 'Wake Up Snorlax')

Smarties-chan

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Psycho said:
    Guys, its a cartoon. Its not meant to be excessively realistic in any way, if it was, Team Rocket would be dead by now. There are some intricacies, but things such as : Misty and Pikachu sunbathing, shouldn't be too abstruse to figure out -_-

The Pokeball transposes the Pokemon into energy, and the little energy speculums on the inside are what keeps the Pokemon from getting out. Yet, the pokemon do maintain a will of their own and are able to overpower the mechanism and release themselves, though they remain within the Pokeball due to obedience. I presuppose that when they are called from the Pokeball, they can release themselves or may choose to stay in, but the trainer has no say in this: the trainer just throws the Pokeball and says the Pokemon's name - to signal to the Pokemon that it has to come out. The fact that the Pokemon is fully aware of what is happening outside of its Pokeball is apodictic.

Also, not all Pokemon can be placed into Pokeballs. As we have seen in the anime, certain Pokemon such as Mew, Mewtwo, or Celebi, contain too much power for a regular Pokeball to even hold.

I surmise that's due to the fact that upon capture the Pokemon's respect is earned. Pokemon are basically the animal-figures within the show, so their behavior and characteristics are analogous. Animal's are more sensitive to human emotions and their sense - which well exceed ours - allow them to already know us, even before they know us. Pokemon are the same way. It is also, common within the animal kingdom for animal's to have a scrimmage as means of earning veneration; which is why battling the Pokemon is encouraged (aside from just weakening it). You earn the Pokemon's respect, because you have proven to them that you are a worthy opponent and that you have authority. The Pokemon's personality also comes to mind, you have some Pokemon who just can't be tamed or won't listen, and others grow strongly attached to their trainers upon first glance. Badges, too, play a part; if you don't have the right badges then certain Pokemon of higher levels will never obey you. I'm certain that Pokemon do have some form of honor, loyalty, and respect or they could just be disquisitive about humans and want to know more. They're moderately smart creatures. >_>

Its all similar to us in real life. Why does your dog obey you when you tell it to sit? Even if the dog is trained, it could still just runaway, it has the will and ability. Another example would be, why does an elephant listen to its tamer? The elephant is aware of size discrepancies in both stature and aptitude, so it could just kill the tamer and leave, it has the will, but yet it doesn't. Wild animals could overtake the earth and destroy all of mankind, but yet, they haven't.

Size doesn't matter if you're proficient and able-bodied; and despite experience, you can still lose if pitted against a skilled, and strategic opponent with a strong will to win. You also have to take into account each Pokemon's unique abilities. No matter how good you get, you will always have the potential to lose.

I'll tell you what I find ridiculous once I find a reason that isn't ridiculous.

Psycho
    You got a point there... But you have to admit Pikachu taking down ground type Pokémon with thunderbolt, but having trouble taking down an un trained Taillow with a weakness against Thunderbolt is pretty weird o.O

However, I know better than to start arguing with you so I admit that I have been beaten.

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
    Years
    I'm only trying to provide explanations to some of your enquiries.
    How Team Rocket could re-locate Ash and co. after being "blasted off again" miles away.
    Here are my reasons: A.)They know that Ash is on his way to the Pokemon League, so each town that he enters could already have been predetermined, B.) They use some sort of tracking machine, that has yet to be revealed, to find them, C.) They could already be in that town and randomely happen to bump into the "twerps", D.) They're always one-step ahead of Ash and company, E.) Just luck >_>

Why Team Rocket isn't killed by the fall after being blasted off.
    Slapstick Cartoon violence, meaning people get hurt, but you won't see any blood or dire injuries. Similar to that in the Looney Toons.
    How Team Rocket gets the money/time to build those giant machines they keep using.
    They mostly acquire those funds from Team Rocket's account, their own paychecks, or they get jobs.
    How Team Rocket keeps repairing the Meowth balloon.
    See above, however, they could also do it themselves.

How can the Pokédex give Snorlax's length as 211 centimetres and the animé let it block a creek that's ostensibly wider than that? (Episode 38, 'Wake Up Snorlax')
    That's the average length. The Pokedex can only give an estimated riposte of a Pokemon's size; it can't give each individual admeasurement. Don't expect every Pokemon to be the same size; we've all seen instances when there were giant Pigeot and Rhydon, that well exceeded their standard amplitude.

How Pokemon types are ignored to Ash's advantage in the anime.
    Smarties-kun said:
    You got a point there... But you have to admit Pikachu taking down ground type Pokémon with thunderbolt, but having trouble taking down an un trained Taillow with a weakness against Thunderbolt is pretty weird o.O

However, I know better than to start arguing with you so I admit that I have been beaten.
    Actually, I have a fairly simple explanation for this as well. Ash's Pikachu is contradistinct from all the Pikachu's within the species. Let's take a excursion back to the days of Kanto; recollect when Ash was going for his Boulder Badge ("Showdown At Pewter City"). Pikachu first suffered defeat to Brock's Pokemon, Onix, due to its heavy disadvantage (rock>electric), and incipiently, none of Pikachu's attacks had any sort of efficacious results. After losing, Flint, took Ash to a hydro-electric powerplant to aid Pikachu by giving it a powerboost. Pikachu, couldn't handle the energy, at first, but afterwards it was able to control and channel its new power. When Ash challenged Brock again, Pikachu's electric attacks now had some effect.

Now, I conjecture that due to the factor above, after experiencing that, Ash's Pikachu kept that power and is beyond the electric Pokemon boilerplate. That little "jolt" of energy enabled Ash's Pikachu to be able to take on rock (and ground) type Pokemon with electric attacks, but not competely incapacitate them (though it can at times).

As for Taillow, well, it may have been untrained, but we have no idea as to what level and prior battle experience it had. This Taillow was different from the rest, it was a eminently cohesive than the rest. Taillow also had the ability of Guts (which causes it to get stronger as it receives more and more damage) in which Ash's vexation taking it down, was evidence of just how strong the ability was. Wild Pokemon aren't weak, contrary to popular belief, and Hoenn is a variant region from the rest, so its safe to say that anything can happen. After all, Taillow had a strong will and determination. At times a strong will can push something past it's hylic limits.

I presume that type advantages don't play more of a role than skill, overall power, and stamina. If Ash's Charizard can defeat a Blastoise, despite being hit by multifarious attacks, including aquatic attacks, then its safe to ascertain that if you know what you're doing or train properly, then you can cancel out type advantages. For example, AJ's Sandshrew was able to dive into water, remain for a short time, then gambade out with little, or no harm, despite its disadavantage to water as a ground type (ground<water). Each and every Pokemon trains/battles uniquely and is different in their own special way, so its fairly complicated - and nearly impossible - to juxtapose them all with eqaulity.

I do hope that I have provided somewhat of an elucidation through my theorizing and conjecturing.

Psycho

Last edited:

Smarties-chan

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Actually, I have a fairly simple explanation for this as well. Ash's Pikachu is contradistinct from all the Pikachu's within the species. Let's take a excursion back to the days of Kanto; recollect when Ash was going for his Boulder Badge ("Showdown At Pewter City"). Pikachu first suffered defeat to Brock's Pokemon, Onix, due to its heavy disadvantage (rock>electric), and incipiently, none of Pikachu's attacks had any sort of efficacious results. After losing, Flint, took Ash to a hydro-electric powerplant to aid Pikachu by giving it a powerboost. Pikachu, couldn't handle the energy, at first, but afterwards it was able to control and channel its new power. When Ash challenged Brock again, Pikachu's electric attacks now had some effect.

Now, I conjecture that due to the factor above, after experiencing that, Ash's Pikachu kept that power and is beyond the electric Pokemon boilerplate. That little "jolt" of energy enabled Ash's Pikachu to be able to take on rock (and ground) type Pokemon with electric attacks, but not competely incapacitate them (though it can at times).

As for Taillow, well, it may have been untrained, but we have no idea as to what level and prior battle experience it had. This Taillow was different from the rest, it was a eminently cohesive than the rest. Taillow also had the ability of Guts (which causes it to get stronger as it receives more and more damage) in which Ash's vexation taking it down, was evidence of just how strong the ability was. Wild Pokemon aren't weak, contrary to popular belief, and Hoenn is a variant region from the rest, so its safe to say that anything can happen. After all, Taillow had a strong will and determination. At times a strong will can push something past it's hylic limits.

I presume that type advantages don't play more of a role than skill, overall power, and stamina. If Ash's Charizard can defeat a Blastoise, despite being hit by multifarious attacks, including aquatic attacks, then its safe to ascertain that if you know what you're doing or train properly, then you can cancel out type advantages. For example, AJ's Sandshrew was able to dive into water, remain for a short time, then gambade out with little, or no harm, despite its adavantage to water as a ground type (ground<water). Each and every Pokemon trains/battles uniquely and is different in their own special way, so its fairly complicated - and nearly impossible - to juxtapose them all with eqaulity.

I do hope that I have provided somewhat of an elucidation through my theorizing and conjecturing.

Psycho
    Seriously, is there anything you can't prove to be wrong? O_O

Even though Psycho will probaly give me a perfectly good explanation that will just make me feel stupid, I'll post another thing about Pokémon that just keeps to amaze me...

How come the used to be arrogant, stupid, self-centered [INSERT MORE INSULTS HERE] person such as Ash randomly became a goody two-shoes hero kinda guy?
    It is understandable that people do change, but they never completely lose their personality like Ash did.
    Watching a person who randomly meets a new friend in every episode, helps him/her out and becomes a hero isn't exactly what I'd call fun -.-

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
    Years
    Well, I once found myself baffled as to why Jirachi has such a limited movepool, but I soon unraveled an unravelment to that as well.

Intrinsically, Smarties-kun, what you listed, actually has more to do with the viewer's philosophy and sensibility. In conclusion, you really aren't completely wrong or completely right. As I do agree with you, I must object to the fact that Ash has completely lost his personlity as I have seen instances, where Ash has shown a glint of the arrogance that has nearly faded away into the great days of Kanto, within Johto and Hoenn. Though, I must concur, he has made to much of a character escalation in the lines of development - but this is the seventh season that is currently being exhibited on Kid's WB.

Sadly, Ash isn't the only one. Even noteworthy characters such as, Brock (who's infactuations have gone from amusing to irritating), Misty (who has become much more compliant), and Gary (who has lost his infamous, imperious attitude), have suffered from the writer's leap-to-bounds character development.

I could provide some long, coherent, and ingenious refutation to your claims, but at times it is better to just acquiesce.

Psycho

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    Fire_Pikachu said:
    This thread is in no way intended to bash or critisize Pokemon. It is just a bit of fun. The Idea is pretty much to say things that are in the Pokemon anime or games that are just so ridiculous that they are funny.

Here are some:

Ash's Mum just lets him leave home when he is 10 years old. Obviously it would be lame if every episode he looked for Pokemon at the park or something, but it is still pretty funny.

The Pokemon dont just run away as soon as they are let out of their Pokeballs.

Post some of you own!

I've always thought about those too. The pokemon world is a lot less dangerous than ours in some respects so I could see Ash's mom be willing to let him just roam around.

The second I've always wondered about whenever Ash catches a pokemon that doesn't like him.
    -------------------------------

-What the characters did about getting money for food. OK, they get money from battling and whatnot in the game, but you never see them exchanging money after battles. And also, even if they were to get money, they go out to eat so often you'd think all of it would disappear after a while. But yet Ash never is broke. Maybe his mother sends him money?

-When you catch a pokemon and you have no room in your party, the ball goes to Bill's PC. But how does that happen? Does it just teleport like it does in the show? If it does teleport, what causes it to? Does Bill use some psychic type to teleport all the trainers' balls back?
    Also, when holding the balls, how does he tell whose pokeball is whose? Does he put them all in a box labeled "blahblah's pokeballs" or something?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Fire_Pikachu said:

XD maybe thats why most of Ash's Pokemon came to him the anime? XD It'd make it less cruel.... Wouldn't wanna distrub little kids...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back