• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] RIP Ash Humiliation Saga (April 1, 1997 - December 10, 2015)

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    It took forever to happen.

For 18 years and a half, the writers had no mercy of Ash, they had no plans of giving Ash a good water starter. One that has developed a good bond with him, one that you know, ACTUALLY EVOLVES. No mercy. At all.

At the very beginning, Ash got Squirtle from the squad, and was one of his closest Pokemon, but it could only do so much. He did get Kingler too, but most people today forget Ash even had one, since it got little spotlight. Totodile was the same, a bit mistreated tbh, and not that great in battling, and it showed.

Then Hoenn ridiculized Ash by not even bothering to give him Mudkip, and while Crawdaunt is probably better than Swampert, the writers didn't even bother to evolve Corphish in the first place. Sinnoh comes and with it Piplup, but while Torterra and Infernape were cool, Piplup went to Dawn and has one of the most ridiculous dub voices ever. Admittedly, Buizel was very cool, but it still didn't evolve.

Flash forward to Unova and have Ash get two water-types once again, Palpitoad and Oshawott. The former was so badly mistreated, it didn't even get to evolve with all that ****. Oshawott is yet another case of a Pokemon which really should have evolved. It got boring after a while.

But all things must come to an end.

For the first time in his career, Ash gets a fully-evolved water starter, and that's Greninja.

RIP Ash Humiliation Saga (April 1, 1997 - December 10, 2015)

Ash Humiliation Saga... Rest. In. Peace.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    But then the writers will decide to nerf Ash's Greninja as the series progresses, making him on the same league as his previous water types or worse, just like how Sakurai constantly nerfed Greninja in every patch for Super Smash Bros. 4.

Years
    But then the writers will decide to nerf Ash's Greninja as the series progresses, making him on the same league as his previous water types or worse, just like how Sakurai constantly nerfed Greninja in every patch for Super Smash Bros. 4.

I probably wouldn't go that far, but still it is nice they finally gave him a Water-type starter that is serious and not-so-much comedy. My fave Kalos starter gave Ash the badass team member that he exactly needed.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2016
    Lol, did anybody else think that when they read the title before clicking on it that it was some kind of news about them possibly replacing Ash or quitting the pokemon series?

Either way, I've always thought the Froakie evolution line was pretty much the same role that the Treecko evolution line had with Ash during his Hoenn region tour. Although instead of a stick/twig that Treecko used to chew on was now Froakie's/Frogidier's white play-doh and Greninja's tongue (I'm guessing its his tongue, Idrk, I mean how could it not be?) The fully evolved water transition is always nice, but I was one of those folks that wished Totodile would've been a Feraligatr. Otherwise, I liked Squirtle and Oshawott the way they were. However considering we're talking about my favorite frog ninja, I'm actually loving it right now :D

Anime Sucks

What does having a fully evolved water starter have to do with humiliation?

Years
    He'll still lose in the top 8/4 in XY, even if he has a fully evolved team and Goodra/Noivern and ash greninja.

I still think Goodra coming back will be unlikely, plus I see a lot of Pokeani experts on Tumblr speculating that the pain Ash feels when Greninja becomes Ash Greninja could be what makes him lose in the Kalos League.

I doubt it, but I do hope he goes as far as he did in Sinnoh again. Because the writers just hate making the main protagonist win their main tournament (and probably why I think Serena may not win the Kalos Queen title as well).

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
    Ash's Water type humiliation may be over (For now) but Ash's Humiliation Overall is still high. From a count from 1-10 for the humiliation overall Ash a 20 (Maybe a 30 if he gets beaten by a Stupid guy like Cameron again) which comes from being beaten by street trainers, Gym leaders, and Idiots (like Cameron) like Pikachu should be unstoppable to at least the elite four (If Ash ever fights them). But your right the writers show Ash "No Mercy" since he still gets humiliated the Water type thing is a lot better but Ash is still bad.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2016
    He'll still lose in the top 8/4 in XY, even if he has a fully evolved team and Goodra/Noivern and ash greninja.

Oh he could win. Patterns are being broken. Plus Ash losing does not seem that likely factoring Greninja leaves him for losing battles. Ash has only lost one as of now and that was with Viola unlike past series where he had quite a few losses. Plus apparently the director has been hinting towards changes once XY ends to the anime overall.

Back