• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Rivals, Rivals, Rivals

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In all of Pokémon games, X and Y had the most amount of rivals. The rivals were Calem, Serena, Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, and Diantha. Calem and Serena are your main rivals. They live right next door to you, and battle you countless amount of times throughout your journey—helping you to train your Pokémon quite a bit. Just like the rivals from previous games, their dream was to, one day, become the most powerful Pokémon trainer of all. Diantha is an actress and has done a lot of movies, so she's very well-known. You run into her dozens of times in your journey, and since she's also a Pokémon trainer, she battles you every once in a while to have your skills tested. Trevor, Tierno, and Shauna all live in Vaniville Town. Shauna is a very sweet little girl, and helps you out a variety of times when traveling across the Kalos region. Tierno may seem a little intimidating to some you, but once you get to know him, he actually isn't that scary. Tierno is a very light-hearted individual, and is always caring. Trevor's got a brilliant mind, and has the ability to get through almost any issues that he faces. He gives you a PokéDex at the beginning of the game.

Out of all these rival characters, who is (or are) your favorite? Are there any reasons why you like them? If so, what are they? Also, which rival did you have the hardest time defeating? Why was he or she so hard?

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Having all of these rivals was definitely one of the highlights of the game for me. Usually we get one rival who we battle a few times and he or she offers very little of a challenge throughout. That was not the case with this generation as each rival presented a challenge with different and very diverse teams that always made you give it your all. As for my favorite, I will have to say Tierno. He just seems so lighthearted and fun to be around. Overall he seems like a big sweetheart so I definitely find him to be the coolest. Serena was definitely the toughest though because I started with Chespin and she would use both Meowstic and Delphox in the battles which made a very tough time for my Chesnaught.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I really like Serena.
    We did 1-2 or 3 tag battles, and we even battled for the Mega Ring, as well as a lot more.
    Hmm. Shauna is a fun little sister-like to me whom I find very adorable!

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • "Rivals" To me the WHOLE point of having a Rival is to hate him like in RB. Your Rival is an Ass and goes out of his way to say mean things to you. You want to beat him. He was a better antagonist than Team Rocket.

Your Rival in GSC begins his journey as a Criminal. He is mean, but not in the same way.

The problem with modern day "rivals" is that they are your friends. There is no motivation to fight, or to win, because there is nothing at stake. It is a friendly battle between Friends. Although nothing is at stake, they REFUSE to let you progress until you win, then Lament how they always loose.

I would like a rival who is a JERK. He joins the evil team as nasty people are likely to do. At the climax, your rival could have a change of heart and be the inside man that brings down the whole operation. (with your help of course!)

Then the two of you can still compete and it would still feel exciting because of that change you went through together.

HUF_DBC

Your'e on to something here...interesting. Very interesting.

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
    Years
  • Android 18 is Krillin's wife. Android 19 is the fat white one.
    Wait a minute...I thought Kim-Jung-IL was Android 19. If Tierno is Android 19 and Kim-Jung-IL is 19 then Kim-Jung-IL transported himself into Pokemon X and Y to capture Pokemon since he can't create WMD's.

Years
  • Android 18 is Krillin's wife. Android 19 is the fat white one.
    Wait a minute...I thought Kim-Jung-IL was Android 19. If Tierno is Android 19 and Kim-Jung-IL is 19 then Kim-Jung-IL transported himself into Pokemon X and Y to capture Pokemon since he can't create WMD's.

*removes eyeglasses*

Mother of God!!!!!!

Years
  • The two threads about rivals were similar in discussion and thus merged. :)

Does that have something to do with FUUUUUSION-HA!!

Or the Gene Splicer? lol

On Topic:

My opinions regarding the rivals

Tierno: I dunno, just meh

Shauna: One word, Adorable.

Trevor: Kinda sucks that his own style of "battling" is comparing your Pokedex to him

Calem: Now that's what a rival is supposed to be, always there and makes sure you get stronger by the minute and is always determined to be better than you.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • Silver was the best Rival. Green/Blue/Gary was friendly'ish and I agree with what SnowpointQuincy said. The whole point of having a rival is that you wanna f*** em' up!
    Out of all the rivals, I think Paul would have been the best if he had anything to do with the games. In the anime, he was the most nasty rival there was.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I think Paul would have been the best if he had anything to do with the games. In the anime, he was the most nasty rival there was.

Paul was only in the anime, but some believe he IS a reflection of the Video Game Players. Paul catches pokemon in large numbers then immediately releases them for not having the right nature, level, etc. The way some game players act when building competitive teams.

Years
  • the rivals were great acting like a friend at all
    and having about 4 of them at the same time
    but sometimes old players like me
    miss some a rival who is actually a jerk LOL
    I hope gamefreak would add at least 1 out of 4 rival who is completely a jerk or at least will give a lot of challenge. Like for example you will face each other at the Pokemon League or something

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
    Years
  • The definition of a rival is "a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity", not "a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or superiority in the same field of activity who acts like a jerk and goes out of their way to insult others". Therefore, a rival does not have to be a bully to be a "real rival".

According to this definition, Blue, Silver, May/Brendan, Wally, Barry, Cheren and Calem/Serena are all rivals. All of them battle the player just to prove they are stronger and strive to become better than them. Some of them are obnoxious and some of them act friendlier, but all of them compete with you.

Bianca, Hugh, Shauna, Trevor and Tierno are all friends. They follow the player around and battle them not to compete but because they just want you. It's a friendly match with nothing at stake, and that's why I don't like any of them as much as I like the real rivals.

I'm not too big of a fan of the jerky rivals myself, but these friends are rather frustrating. Hugh especially, because you'll have the deal with him the entire game. There's no rivalry between you and Hugh, and you hardly battle him. I believe there are only four encounters with him that include you two battling! Weeeeeeak.

About the X and Y rivals... Eh, they're okay. I find it pretty obnoxious how they just tag along everywhere and randomly start battles with you. They're all cruddy at battling, including Calem/Serena who I despise the most. I'll talk about them later though. Shauna is actually the most useful. I'm surprised I'm saying this but... I kind of like her! I actually expected to hate her the most out of the four rivals, since she's just so girly and everything. I like her optimistic personality and how she's actually helpful. So what if she wears pink and bows? Girls wear pink and bows. Not all girls do, but some do. Trevor's... okay. He doesn't show up much. Neither does Tierno. They don't get enough screen time. I also hate how in the end they get credit when they literally did nothing.

Calem/Serena are my least favorite because they irritate me a lot. They're basically May/Brendan all over again. Except Calem/Serena are determined to beat you even if they suck at battling. They force you to battle them in front of almost every freakin' gym in the region, they always want you want, they think they're fantastic Trainers when they're not, they're terrible friends that don't stick to your side, they think they're the hero and the game won't let you forget that they exist. Most of the screen time they get should be for developing for Trevor and Tierno, but nope. And the toy piano theme that plays when they get all emotional is just NO. I don't CARE about them! I don't CARE AT ALL. I want more Tierno and Trevor and I want it now.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Trevor's... okay. He doesn't show up much. Neither does Tierno. They don't get enough screen time. I also hate how in the end they get credit when they literally did nothing.

I KNOW RIGHT? What was even the point of them being in the game? All Tierno does is talk about dancing and Trevor moans about not being able to complete the PokeDex because he's asked to investigate Mega Evolutions.

Then they get a "YOU DID GREAT!" when Tierno pretty much said that he's awful at battling (yet soon challenges you afterwards!). I bet they hindered more than they helped. Probably 'accidentally' let Team Plasma destroy a few more buildings.

Calem/Serena are my least favorite because they irritate me a lot. They're basically May/Brendan all over again. Except Calem/Serena are determined to beat you even if they suck at battling. They force you to battle them in front of almost every freakin' gym in the region, they always want you want, they think they're fantastic Trainers when they're not, they're terrible friends that don't stick to your side, they think they're the hero and the game won't let you forget that they exist.

Cackle.

Back