• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rivals

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    My favorite gotta be May. She is super nice all the time.

My least favorite is Hugh. I mean, okay, you want the freakin' purrloin back, but hell, just go and get a new one, you live next to a route with 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Purrloins. Your sister can't tell the difference!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It'd definitely have to be Gary for me, because, well, he's the original. Plus, I really like his cocky and arrogant attitude. Second favorite would be Silver. As for least favorite, I've gotta say Barry. Not sure why, but the guy sort of annoys me. ):

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    Blue/Gary is hands down the best Rival out of any game. He knows how to push your buttons, he loves to mock you and make fun of you and he always seems to be a step ahead. He is also the only Rival to have beaten the League (even before you) and the final match against him will always be one of the greatest moments in Pokemon games

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Thread's giving me deja vu....

My favorite rivals would be Blue and Silver. Blue because he's a competent rival and is that likeable type of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Silver because he's the one of the few rivals who actually shows real character growth (which is also why I kinda like Cheren and Bianca too).

Not fond of Barry and Hugh. Barry's hyper-ness kinda grates on me; I don't find it amusing. Hugh's nearly constant rage is irritating as well. Getting angry over what happened years ago doesn't make anything better, and I'm pretty sure that your sister is not emotionally/mentally scarred for life. He just comes off as bit petty and inflexible. And then there's how he treats you like his sidekick.
    Buddy, I'm not your friggin' sidekick. I might be constrained to the body of a 14~15 year old girl right now, but I'm a badass veteran demi-god Pokémon Trainer (lol wut). I can handle the entirety of Team Plasma by myself.

But the funny thing is, I like Barry and Hugh's battle themes the best of out all them...

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Silver because of his battle theme would have to be one of my favorites if not my absolute favorite of the rivals introduced thus far.

Hugh and Gary would have to be my least favorites simply due to how weak their teams were and also their character personalities were grating to say the very least if you ask me.

Years
    May. It's cool to have a nice rival. Also the guy from platinum, which I haven't played for too long, but i remember he was ok. I dislike the Silver guy from G/S/C, or as I called it, ASSHAT. He stole a Pokemon and kept ♥♥♥♥♥ing throughout the whole game. Gary was full of himself, but Silver was just an ass.
    ^^

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Am I the only one who liked Hugh? :/ He's not that bad. Barry and Bianca are way more annoying imo. I wouldn't say he's my favorite , but he isn't an awful rival either. I like the idea of him getting revenge on Team Plasma for stealing his sister's Purrloin. It gives him more of a background than the last few rivals before him. And no he can't just catch another Purrloin cause if I were his sister, it wouldn't be the same to me. It's the fact that she grew attached to and fell in love with that particularly Purrloin is what makes it so special.

My favorite, however is Silver. He has the best backstory of all the rivals. Given he's Giovanni's son, he was probably ignored a lot. Having no father figure to show him what's right or wrong is why he decided to steal a Pokemon. That and the fact his dad is the leader of an evil team who love stealing so he probably got the impression stealing isn't wrong. I really feel bad for him in the end cause of how he's treated.

Am I the only one who liked Hugh? :/ He's not that bad. Barry and Bianca are way more annoying imo. I wouldn't say he's my favorite , but he isn't an awful rival either. I like the idea of him getting revenge on Team Plasma for stealing his sister's Purrloin. It gives him more of a background than the last few rivals before him. And no he can't just catch another Purrloin cause if I were his sister, it wouldn't be the same to me. It's the fact that she grew attached to and fell in love with that particularly Purrloin is what makes it so special.

My favorite, however is Silver. He has the best backstory of all the rivals. Given he's Giovanni's son, he was probably ignored a lot. Having no father figure to show him what's right or wrong is why he decided to steal a Pokemon. That and the fact his dad is the leader of an evil team who love stealing so he probably got the impression stealing isn't wrong. I really feel bad for him in the end cause of how he's treated.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Silver is easily the coolest rival in the series. The sheer degree of his cruelty prior to his character development contrasted to his manners afterward make you feel like you've really touched his little troubled soul and made him into a better person. One little nuance that's often overlooked is how the golbat he uses against you in your first six battles ultimately evolves into a crobat for re-battles in the postgame, proof that he's learned to love and respect his pokémon instead of use them as tools.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    I was gonna go with Gary, but these posts made me change my mind to Silver. I don't remember the games with him in it very well, though, so it'd be hard for me to decide. I just always loved Gary. Also, this isn't an actual rival in the games, but does anyone remember uhh that guy with Sparky? I loved him.

Anyways least favorite is Barry. Quit rushing me, damn.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    My favourite would probably be Wally, I guess I just like the underdog.

I don't hate Blue and Silver, but I've always felt they were pretty pathetic. Constantly losing and yet still in so much denial that they openly mock you about being a loser or a weakling. Any time I encounter them in a game I feel like pulling the fly swatter out.

Least favourite would have to be Hugh. Team Plasma this, stolen Purrloin that. Change the record would you?

Years

I really liked Hugh myself as well. He fights for things and his dialogue is rather amusing. And his battle theme was the s***. It was just painful watching him break down when the Shadow Triad give it to him as a Liepard. And for the record, the reason he can't catch another Purrloin is addressed later in the game: because his late grandfather caught it for her.

Years
    Am I the only one who loves Cheren and Bianca? I love the character development with those two in Black/White, especially Bianca admitting in the end she couldn't match the strength of Cheren and the protagonist and decides to help Professor Juniper, which her role became in Black 2/White 2. Plus she was our first female rival not counting the opposite protagonist. I also love Barry because he's funny.

Sure, I know Blue and Silver are the most popular due to their personalities but I didn't really like those two, mainly for their designs. But I guess that because I started late into the generations I wasn't able to fully experience the original Kanto and Johto games.

Years
    Am I the only one who loves Cheren and Bianca? I love the character development with those two in Black/White, especially Bianca admitting in the end she couldn't match the strength of Cheren and the protagonist and decides to help Professor Juniper, which her role became in Black 2/White 2. Plus she was our first female rival not counting the opposite protagonist. I also love Barry because he's funny.

Some people didn't like them because of how annoying they would be in BW given how they'd battle you after every friggin' badge. Like how Cheren is all "Oh, I was waiting for you to get (insert badge here)!" all the time and then just ups and challenges you. Quit stalking me, bro!

But I do like that Bianca's development extended in BW2 as Juniper's assistant, where she became more mature and less klutzy.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Hugh: He is so angry at neo plasma and maybe old plasma for freaking stealing his sister's purrloin.. but he still eagerly and the only and one purlloin despite catchable purrloin in the wild.

Barry: though he keep fining the player, but player never actually pay[/b] the fine nor he is serious about, that's why he is funny.

Silver: though stealing pokemon and thinking stronger pokemon and doesn't show much love towards his pokemon. He might go softie on Ethan or Lyra later on the game and being big R boss son, despite he hates team R

Cheren: he is purely honest and a Einstein in pokemon, thought he much change N's mind.
    Blue: thought he was advance more than red or green and being not so much friendliness toward them.

:3. Yeah I agree. Getting <x> badge and forcing me to battle either of them after each badge until some point of the game, is totally annoying. I mean look at other rivals, they can be battled on much, much and much later in the game at <x> amount of badges or player's next vital destination. but it bloody stop somewhere on mid-game.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
    Favorite for sure, as said above would be Gary/Blue. His cocky attitude and his insults always kept you annoyed at him, which would provide incentive to go kick his butt :P Also the champion battle was epic, though I always felt bad for him and his grandpa (Oak) forgetting his name and such :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2019
    Hugh: He is so angry at neo plasma and maybe old plasma for freaking stealing his sister's purrloin.. but he still eagerly and the only and one purlloin despite catchable purrloin in the wild.

I don't get why people keep saying this. Sure there are Purrloin in the wild but from a story perspective that isn't the same. It isn't like Hugh's sister only cares about battling with a Purrloin. Lots of people in the game consider their pokemon to be their friends and companions and you can't just replace those.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I definitely like Blue/Gary the best. Not because he's the original but because I love his attitude. I find it hilarious and perfectly fitting for a rival. he's constantly a little sh-t to you and makes you want to train better to kick his butt to show him a thing or two!

I also like Wally. I find him so cute. He never was mean to you, in fact he looked up to you! Then you finally battle him and see how far he's grown. It's like watching a little kid you're close with or a sibling grow up ^w^

I found Shauna adorable too. She didn't give two hoots about training. She just wanted to travel and have fun. She was super sweet and super fun to chat with. Though, at some points in the game it felt like she was hitting on me XD

I don't really have a rival I dislike, actually.

Back