• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rivals

Why type of rival do you prefer?

• Friends

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Bullies

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2024
    I picked friends (coz I'm weird lol)
    Hugh I quite liked because he actually puts others before himself, his main goal is not to become champion like most rivals, but to reclaim his sister's Purrloin from Team Plasma, also breaks the stereotype of rivals.

On the other hand, I strongly detest Silver. He steals his first Pokemon, is rude to the player (and everyone else), treats his Pokemon like ****, the list goes on. "A battle with Team Rocket Grunts is just right for you." Yeah, being a Team Rocket grunt is right for you, Silver
    If I could describe Silver in one word... I'd probably be banned lol ;-)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't actually distinguish based on whether they're friendly or not, but based on whether they're negative or not.

My least favorite rivals have been Cheren and Hugh, just because they're negative people - Cheren is bitter and petty and Hugh is angry and vengeful, and I just don't like either one of them at all. I don't feel any great desire to beat them and I don't find it particularly satisfying to do it - I just wish they'd shut up and go away.

My favorites have been Blue and Barry. Blue's a bully, but at least he's positive - he's not moaning on about not being strong or ranting about his sister's stupid Purrloin - he's just out there to kick ass and he's a satisfying challenge. And Barry is easily the most positive real rival in the games (not counting the secondary rivals like Dawn and Bianca) and also my favorite. He's eager and confident and a worthy challenge, and he's always amusing.

Blue is easily my all-time favorite; really enjoy the competition that he promotes throughout the games. Barry's okay, but I'm just not fond of him as much, honestly; I mean, he was okay, but the way they portrayed him seemed kind of annoying to me. If it weren't for that and his character was slightly different, I would've liked him a lot better.

Years
    After playing Yellow, Crystal and FireRed in a row, I liked having normal kids as my friends, who'd still compete, but without all the name calling. :D

Braxien

Banned
    Years
    I prefer the meaner rivals who are rude to you and always think of themselves as better. Their immature behaviour pushed me to become a better trainer just so that I could wipe the smile off their face when I destroyed their dreadful team with my powerful Pokémon who were trained to perfection.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I would rather have a somewhat arrogant rival. Something close to Silver. You just get that strange urge to become more powerful than them. Then challenging them to one more battle their proving you're better than him.

Back