• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMT from Smogon - "EWMTD"

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024

Persian (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Limber
    EVs: 170 HP/86 Atk/252 Spd
    Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Return
    - U-turn
    - Switcheroo
    - Protect

Everyone knows this set fairly well. At first, I thought it would be gimmicky and useless, but it has proven to be a valuable member of my team. Its stats (65/70/60/65/65/115) really made me lol at first. I passed it off as a faster Luvdisc with a better defensive type. However, with access to Switcheroo and U-Turn I have really gotten some great usage out of this guy.

He is great at giving Hippopotas the dreaded Choice Band and using those Leftovers to recover some HP. I think everyone knows how it works for some bulky attackers.

Persian Orb Dood used Switcheroo.
    Persian obtained Leftovers!
    Hariyama obtained Choice Band!
    Hariyama used Brick Break.
    Purfugly's Persian fainted.

Purfugly switched in Hypno.
    (Opponent) switched in Honchkrow.
    Hypno used Thunder Wave.
    Honchkrow is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Giving my Hypno a free turn to use Thunder Wave is pretty useful. This has been pretty useful for giving all of my Pokemon free turns, come to think of it.

It's also useful for checking Persian "counters" in tandem with U-Turn.

Yanmega used Protect.
    But it failed!
    Persian used Switcheroo.
    Persian obtained Expert Belt!
    Yanmega obtained Choice Band!
    Yanmega's Speed Boost raised its speed!

(Opponent) switched in Hypno.
    Cool Orb Dood used U-turn.
    It's super effective!
    Hypno lost 38% of its health.
    Purfugly switched in Hypno.

I got to scout for a Persian counter... although Hypno is by no means a Persian counter. I planned on using Thunder Wave on the enemy Hypno and then setting up screens, but that never... happened.

STAB Return does a pretty significant amount of damage to some leads and switch-ins.

Persian used Return.
    Hypno lost 32% of its health.

Seeing as Hypno is supposed to tank up damage on both the physical and special spectra, 32% isn't unimpressive.

Protect is rarely used but helps against Fake Out leads and scouts out Hypnosis/Sleep Powder/Spore leads so I can switch to my insomniac, Hypno.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Scrappy
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Ice Punch
    - Focus Punch
    - Return
    - Crunch

This cutie pie was always a favorite of mine. Because of the Platinum Move Tutors, I can finally have Ice Punch + Scrappy. This thing is very capable of tearing holes through entire teams. Return + Ice Punch is all I have ever really needed, but the other two moves could prove useful in the future.

The STAB Return is capable of OHKO'ing even the most defensive Mismagius, Ambipom, Hitmonlee, Houndoom, etc. and does incredible damage to threats like Chansey and Lanturn.

I have a slight problem with this set, though. I am frustrated with how little I use Focus Punch and Crunch and how disappointing their results are. With Scrappy, Return already OHKOs almost all Ghosts, and is powerful enough to hurt the normal types that would have potentially required Focus Punch. If you have any comments or suggestions on this, please let me know. I would be glad to mix up this set to make it more dangerous.

Floatzel (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    - Bulk Up
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Return

Persian should come in handy when trying to get this thing out to allow it to set up. However, with Float's (awfully) low defenses, it is has been hard to get her out on anything, even weak attacks that aren't very effective. However, if something KO's Persian, I do have an opportunity to switch in and use Bulk Up.

This was originally chosen as a "Rain Dance" counter of sorts. However, it is still OHKO'd by Ludicolo and can do little in return due to Ludi's bulkiness. It has been able to hurt things with Waterfall and Return, but I fail to see any real reason why I should keep it. Its poor defenses do not help make up for the fact that my team has more emphasis on SpD than Def. It has been utterly useless in its original purpose (RD counter) just because there's no way to hurt half of the Swift Swimmers out there.

I would like to replace it. I am considering Weezing, Ampharos, Regice, and Registeel. Let me know which one of these I should use, if any. I am listening to other suggestions, too. If you think it's just the set, obviously, feel free to strip it away and enlighten me on a better one.

Hypno (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Insomnia
    EVs: 252 HP/56 Def/200 SDef
    Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seismic Toss
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen

This thing is very annoying. Paralysis ruins so many things, and there just aren't many clerics out there doing their job.

Leftovers + Double Screens has been very helpful. When the opponent is paralyzed, I can usually set up both screens all while recovering with Leftovers. Usually, though I only have to set up one screen. Hypno's incredible SpD and decent enough physical walling capabilities allow me to survive hit after hit while setting up. Seismic Toss does a good 100 HP to non-Ghosts, which is a nice bonus under the protect of a screen.

As mentioned before, Persian really helps this set. Hypno can also help out Moltres by possibly allowing it to keep its sub for an extra turn.

Moltres @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 248 HP/148 Def/112 Spd
    Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Toxic
    - Flamethrower
    - Substitute
    - Roost

Thanks to Persian, even late game Moltres can take advantage of lock-ons. Luckily, when I use this fellow in the late game, there's not much left for the opponent to switch to.

Yanmega used Bug Buzz.
    It's not very effective...
    Moltres lost 12% of its health.
    Moltres used Substitute.
    Moltres lost 25% of its health.
    Moltres made a substitute!

Yanmega used Bug Buzz.
    It's not very effective...
    The substitute took damage for Moltres!
    Moltres used Flamethrower.
    It's super effective!
    Yanmega lost 100% of its health.

This poor soul had no choice but to leave his Yanmega out... the calcs run at about 12% damage without the sub... with it, it does nothing. Not even break the sub.

Even outside of "not very effective" hits, Moltres excels. And though I won't post the log for this, I'll sum up the end of a stall match for you where Moltres turned the game from a (3-1) in the opponent's favor to a (1-0) in mine.

Moltres (Poisoned) v. Ambipom - 4 turns - Ambipom fainted
    Moltres (Poisoned) v. Umbreon (Badly Poisoned) - Got sub up - 1 turn - Umbreon used Baton Pass
    Moltres (Poisoned) v. Hariyama - Used Toxic on Hariyama - 7 turns - Hariyama fainted
    Moltres (Poisoned) v. Umbreon (Badly Poisoned) - 5 turns - Umbreon fainted

Could've been longer, but 17 turns of late game stall is no short match. Roost was incredible. Not only did it heal all of the poison damage Moltres was receiving, but it also kept Hariyama's ThunderPunch from KO'ing Moltres.

And for the record, I think anything that can outstall Umbreon is a pretty good staller.

Slowking (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 212 HP/44 Def/252 SAtk
    Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Slack Off

This is probably the most straightforward member of my team. Low speed sucks, but I can survive plenty of hits with Slowking's great defenses. I don't have a log of it, but she has survived (only ~57%) a 2x DD Outrage from Altaria and proceeded to OHKO with non-NP Ice Beam. With Nasty Plot, Slowking takes advantage of its high SpA to OHKO a very lengthy list of UU contenders.

The attacks are obvious. However, I did consider at one point replacing Slack Off with another attacking move. I have since decided to stick with Slack Off (even though it gets limited usage), but I would still like feedback on this.

And I've yet to use this in tandem with Persian, but I'm sure it'd work with Slowking's incredible defenses + Nasty Plot.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Anyway, thank you in advance for taking a look at my team. I am open to any suggestions as long as they are serious.

Entry Hazard Clause will rule the world one day.

Bye.

Syaoran

most likely hates your guts
    Years
    Replace Floatzel with Quagsire.. probably the curse version. It works well with Moltres and can be threatening when you clear your opponent's pokemon with grass moves. Quagsire helps vs Kabutops and can also switch into expected t-waves.

Not that crazy about that Persian lead.. protect on CB set is very shaky as you may not always be using switcheroo first turn. You should probably replace it with some steel poke or something that can set up SR.

Kangaskhan is better used as a restalker, although I haven't used her in the current metagame so I'm not sure. You really need EQ somewhere in the moveset if you don't wanna be totally walled by steels. Fake Out on LO set is always nice as a free priority hit.

Years

Persian (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Limber
    EVs: 170 HP/86 Atk/252 Spd
    Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Return
    - U-turn
    - Switcheroo
    - Protect / Night Slash

If you find yourself not using Protect much, you may want to consider Night Slash to do some damage to Ghosts, and some of the other bulky Psychics in UU. Nothing too important, though.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Scrappy
    - Ice Punch
    - Focus Punch / Brick Break
    - Return
    - Crunch / Sucker Punch

Ah, Kangaskhan, one of my favourites! I agree with you totally that Crunch isn't much use compared to Return, so I would suggest replacing it with Sucker Punch. You may not use it a ton because Kanghaskhan is still quite fast, but it's useful for picking off the fast/weak sweepers, and Choice Scarfers. :)

You could keep Focus Punch, but maybe if you find yourself having some troubles with dual screens you could try out Brick Break. It may have limited use too, but at least it's a solution if an annoying Light Clay dual-screener rears its head against you.

Floatzel (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    - Bulk Up
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Return

I suppose if you want a RD counter you could use a relatively standard Poliwrath or Toxicroak instead of Floatzel? I'm not sure on the exact sets, I'm sure someone more experienced can help you out there. :)

Hypno (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Insomnia
    EVs: 252 HP/56 Def/200 SDef
    Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seismic Toss
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen / Wish

You could use Light Screen if you want, but when I've used Hypno I find that most people don't leave their special attackers in on him because he has very high special defense, and since you are using Calm and 200 EVs in SDef, Wish may be a better choice over Light Screen. Your team may benefit well from Wish passing, especially Moltres as it'll heal him when he'll likely switch into the ever-present Stealth Rock. It also helps Hypno stay around longer and can make it a little tougher for your opponent to predict what Hypno will do.

Comments in bold. I'm not the most experienced player so I only pointed out some minor things and suggestions, but I hope they helped nonetheless. I think if you replaced Floatzel with something better this could be a pretty solid team. Good luck! :)

Back