• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rock Music

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Jedi_Amara said:
    o_O Fans of rock music are rockers. Fans of punk music are punks. And to be a punk... it's not just the music, it's the attitude. :P
    Yea, punk attitude(and ideas) came before punk style music, so not every band that sounds like a punk band is really punk. Punk ideas revolve alot around anarchy, and punk attitude... well thats just how we punks act XD.

Thats why punk style music is usually referred to as punk-rock, not punk. There could be pop bands that use punk ideas throughout their songs, and they would still be considered true punks.

As for me, I like most punk music, and most punk-rock bands(remember, there's a difference!)

Dark Magician

The Black lightinig
    Years
    Blazekin said:
    Hey all. this is shady. im a punk, those dudes who like Rock Music. my favorite band is Linkin Park and Three Days Grace. Who else likes rock music vote for your favorite bands.
    Linkin Park
    Three Days Grace
    Slipknot
    Evanescence
    Blink182
    Badfinger
    the faint
    Kiss
    Greenday
    or anyother band

Dude, you are not a punk because you listen to rock music, I'm a punk my self, and there is more to it than just liking rock. Well I like punk rock. my favorute bands are: Alkaline Trio, NOFX, Rise Againts, and Mike V and the rats.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    I'm into a whole lot of pop-punk, things like Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Yellowcard. I'm quite proud of my GC boys, they're not completely punk yet but they do try... I like a lot of real punk and punk rock as well.

Oh, and Blazekin, most of those bands on your list come nowhere near punk.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Blazekin said:
    Hey all. this is shady. im a punk, those dudes who like Rock Music. my favorite band is Linkin Park and Three Days Grace. Who else likes rock music vote for your favorite bands.
    Linkin Park
    Three Days Grace
    Slipknot
    Evanescence
    Blink182
    Badfinger
    the faint
    Kiss
    Greenday
    or anyother band

Linkin Park- wannabe-rappers+ wannabe-punks+technobeat. Not Punk
    Three Days Grace- wtf. Not Punk
    Slipknot- Slipnot was never punk, and was never meant to be punk.
    Evanescence- goths and punks aren't really the same thing.
    Blink182- we have a winner. barely
    Badfinger- never heard of them
    the faint- refer to Badfinger
    Kiss- *dies* since when was Kiss anywhere near punk?
    Greenday- la la la.

Here was lineup of my Warped tour day:
    New Found Glory
    Coheed & Cambria
    Taking Back Sunday
    Flogging Molly
    Anti Flag
    Bouncing Souls
    Bad Religion
    NOFX
    Simple Plan
    Yellowcard
    Story of the Year
    Atmosphere
    Sugarcult
    International Noise Conspiracy
    Tiger Army
    Billy Talent
    Lars Frederickson and the Bastards
    Rise Against
    The Casualties
    Rufio
    Allister
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Matchbook Romance
    Guttermouth
    ASG
    A Faith Called Chaos
    The Briggs
    Washington Social Club
    Lennon
    Letter Kills
    Motion City Soundtrack
    Chronic Future
    LYMAN SAYS
    SMARTPUNK
    ERNIE BALL
    UPROAR
    Opiate 4 the Masses
    Madison
    Candy ***
    Audio Karate
    Planet Smashers
    Silverstein
    Reeve Oliver
    Amber Pacific
    Melee
    Rolling Blackouts
    Early Man
    Number One Fan
    Hurry Up Offense
    The Bled
    From First To Last
    Dynamite Boy
    Hidden In Plain View
    Brazil
    Underoath
    Moments In Grace
    Stars Hide Fire
    Underminded
    Over It
    Chernobyl Kids
    Sound Riot
    Underscore
    Thin Dark Line
    Bowling For Soup
    Much the Same
    The Matches
    Amity
    Socratic Records
    Halifax
    Emanuel
    Boys Night Out
    Days Like These
    Lightweight Holiday
    Staring Back
    Nor AM I

There you go, punk, or punk-like bands for you. That should get you started, if the punk-rock path is the path you are to take.

Raderick

1 + 1 = 3
    Years
    You guys are still getting your music wrong. Let me post what I posted earier in this thread. Punk IS NOT it's own genre of music, it is a sub-genre of rock music.

Raderick said:
    All of which fall into the rock genre, regardless of how it sounds or what dial it is on your FM, or satalite station.

Also, what is your problem with critizing others because of their taste of music?

Does listening to "punk" make you punk? Does dressing like "punk" make you punk?

Come on now!

santadidit102

GFX Artist
    Years
    Raderick said:
    You guys are still getting your music wrong. Let me post what I posted earier in this thread. Punk IS NOT it's own genre of music, it is a sub-genre of rock music.

FINALLY SOME1 TELLS THE PPL

Also, what is your problem with critizing others because of their taste of music?

Does listening to "punk" make you punk? Does dressing like "punk" make you punk?

Come on now!

HECK NO!!!!!!!!!! ITS ALL IN THE ATTITUDE(AS SOME1 POSTED B4)

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Raderick said:

Come on now!
    I take it that you are directing this message towards me...

Punk(the musical style) is a sub-genre of Rock. That sub-genre is called Punk-Rock.(errr...)

I wasn't critisizing others either. I just said that each of those bands weren't punk. For example, I like Evanescence, but it's not punk. Never will be punk. Not punk-rock either.

Listening to punk doesn't make the listener a punk either. Most people that listen to 'true punk' bands don't even know what the heck the song is about.

Punk Ideas-> Rock using Punk Ideas -> Style is coined as Punk-Rock -> Bands start to use Punk-Rock, without the Punk Ideas(thus creating a difference between Punk, and Punk-Rock)

kill.harp

Kagemane master
    Years
    Booda Sack said:
    A punk isn't someone who listens to rock music.
    It isn't even someone who listens to punk music.
    Punk isn't a style its a way of thinking.

Thank you. I know a lot of people on this thread say that punks more than a genre of music, and it's how you dress and stuff, but my opinion (notice: opinion) is that there is a lot of stuff that's punk. Pop punk, and all punk subgenres are still punk, no matter how unreal they seem from the idealism of it. It's just (I don't want to say evolved...) changed, from what it used to be.

Plus, I don't think that just listening to the music, dressing like they dressed, or even trying to be like the original punk rockers makes you punk. I think that just doing it and not calling yourself it makes you punk. I myself am not punk, but this is my view because I know a lot of people (who were there back then) that I can converse about it with. That is all.

Raderick

1 + 1 = 3
    Years
    kill.harp said:
    Thank you. I know a lot of people on this thread say that punks more than a genre of music, and it's how you dress and stuff, but my opinion (notice: opinion) is that there is a lot of stuff that's punk. Pop punk, and all punk subgenres are still punk, no matter how unreal they seem from the idealism of it. It's just (I don't want to say evolved...) changed, from what it used to be.

Plus, I don't think that just listening to the music, dressing like they dressed, or even trying to be like the original punk rockers makes you punk. I think that just doing it and not calling yourself it makes you punk. I myself am not punk, but this is my view because I know a lot of people (who were there back then) that I can converse about it with. That is all.

**game show bells go off**
    We have a winner!

rabbitsdying2

I come in peace
    Years
    I think I loooooove rock almost... I think.
    But I haven't heard a full song from any of the bands listed above on the first page.
    :'(
    O Lost! And by the wind grieved, ghost come back!

santadidit102

GFX Artist
    Years
    Jedi_Amara said:
    Just wait a moment though....

The way you dress still doesn't have anything to do with it. IMO, punk is all about the attitude.

*giggles* Ooh, Brittany, lookit this XD. https://www.the-n.com/games/quiz_main.php?ipv_sectionID=43&ipv_quizID=272

yay

heres my results:

Certified Card-Carrying Punk

You're so punk. And see, we guessed that without having any idea of what your hair looks like or what kind of music you're personally into. For all we know, you might be a total hippie, president of the chess club, a punk, or all three. The truth is that you think for yourself and stand up for what you believe in, and that's so very punk rock. You could apply that trait to whatever you want, from fixing cars to singing opera, and you'd still be punk. In fact, please do! We'd love to see what happens.

GOD.

life is great
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2005
    Linkin Park
    Three Days Grace
    Slipknot
    Evanescence
    Blink182
    Badfinger
    the faint
    Kiss
    Greenday
    or anyother band

apart from slipknot(totally the best) and kiss, the bands you have there are "boybands of rock"

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    XD That's the point of that quiz. Basically everyone gets "certified card-carrying punk". And the irony of that is that punk is non-conformist, and they're all conforming by putting in the same answers :P.

Britt, I thought you'd have seen that before. The link's on the FAQ of punknews.org o_O

Back