• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Role Playing--Great!

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    Role Playing--Great!

Episode 1: I've Played This Game Before

"I'm home from the mall, Mom!" a brown haired girl called as she dashed into the kitchen, her black tennis shoes thudding on the beige carpet as she passed through the living room.

"Did you have a good time, hon?" Maya's mom asked as she opened the kitchen window, revealing the Celadon City skyline outside. Next, she swept some Pokechow pieces off the white and blue tile before turning on the stove. Maya, meanwhile, began unloading various shopping bags. After setting aside a few shirts and bottles of shower gel, she smiled with pride at the next item she pulled out: a thin box depicting a tanned skinned boy clad in what looked like a deep blue overcoat and black trousers, a spikey black haired boy she assumed was a mage judging from the gray and blue tunic and wide brimmed hat, a black haired girl in a hooded white robe with pale green and blue swirls, and a red haired girl wearing a red tunic with a black sash around her waist and a red bandana to match. Eight shining gems hung over the group of characters, with the words "Radiant Divinity VI: Gems of the New Dawn" plastered over them in the swirly letters characteristic of the Radiant Divinity series.

"Oh, is that a new game, Maya?" the girl's mother asked as she retrived some spices from the cabinet over the stove, snapping the girl from her trance.

"Yeah..." the girl replied as she set the game aside for a moment. "All the game magazines and Web sites are raving about it, so when I saw it in the bargain bin for 2000 credits, I couldn't resist. Think about it...I got a brand new game for cheap!"

"Vulpix?" a six tailed fox creature interuppted, interested in the game box.

"Feed Raye first before you get too involved with the GameStation 2." Maya's mom reminded her, brushing a wisp of black hair from her face as she tended to the beef simmering on the stove.

"Okay..." Maya trudged to the pantry and retrieved a yellow box with a smiling Vulpix on it. "Did you miss me?" she cooed to the six tailed fox hungrily admiring the small round nuggets falling into its feed dish with a rhythmic plop-plop-plop.

"Vulpix!" Raye smiled as she watched Maya gather up her items and trek down the hall to her room.

Maya, meanwhile, deposited the shower gel in the bathroom and hung the shirts over the laundry hamper before looking over her somewhat messy room. Now, where to put a chair? she thought as she gathered up some manga and magazines that lay scattered on the floor and set them on the bookshelf by her PC. Next, she pulled a chair close by the large TV inside the entertainment center that stood by the center wall, close to the closet The various devices connected to the TV created a maze of various wires that snaked across the brown carpet. After ejecting the puzzle game inside the black console that was wedged between some DVDs in the middle compartment, she loaded the Radiant Divinity disk inside and switched both the system and the TV on.

After the requisite developer screens for both Circle and Level 4 displayed, a majestic melody began to play as a Staraptor soared over a lush plain. The title screen faded in as the fanfare sequed into a march, but by this time, Maya was getting a little annoyed. Enough with the pageantry already, I'm ready to play! she thought as she eagerly pressed START, making the music and title screen fade out. I know this is an epic adventure, you don't need to rub it in my face! Hello, I'm an epic adventure; can't you tell by the loud brass and drums?

The file select screen snapped her back to reality. She selected the top right empty file before being greeted by the name entry screen, with the blue suited boy standing off to the left side.

"Vul pix pix!" Raye commented as she trotted in the room and curled up on Maya's bed, bemused by the images on the TV screen.

"He looks like Brock?" Maya asked. Raye nodded affirmatively. Inspired, Maya began spelling out 'Brock' on the name entry screen. If Raye thinks the hero looks like Brock, I'm naming him that just for her. Raye just giggled as the screen blipped "Save file created."

She drummed her fingers on the controller waiting for the first cutscene to load. Every once in a while, she would glance back at Raye, who was studying the screen intently as eight tiny gems formed and disappeared around the word "Loading..." in the bottom right corner. Loading, loading, loading....keep this game a loading... She impatiently sang to the tune of "Rawhide". Raye giggled at this.

A dramatic violin sting played as the camera suddenly panned over a majestic mansion, startling both Maya and Raye! Okay, so maybe this is a horror game! she gasped as she saw Raye dash under the vine and flower print comforter that decorated her bed. Raye peeked from the covers seconds later, shuddering as the camera flew through the black and white "aged" footage of the hall and up a flight of stairs. It changed to show a young woman and a younger version of the blue suited boy running into a room and gasping in panic as a vaguely jester-esque figure studied a floating orb. So our bad guy's a clown? Maya thought. That's a new one for me...

An orb that contains great power... appeared on the screen as the young hero tried to run and tackle the figure, but was held back. locked away in the hands of one of the world's most powerful families. After a few seconds, another line of text appeared: But whether or not this power is used for good or evil....depends on the holder. At this, the young hero turned and ran as the figure picked up the orb, making a bright flash of light appear, making everything inside the mansion and the occupants inside turn to stone.

"Vul pix..." Raye commented as the young hero fled onto the plains, away from his rapidly petrifying home.

"Well, at least his home's not completely destroyed..." Maya assured her Vulpix. Unlike a billion other RPGs I've played...

If the orb's power is ever corrupted, gathering eight gems infused with the powers of the elements will create a force strong enough to drive back the evil and return the orb to kinder hands the game explained as eight rainbow lights appeared around the now grown and colorized hero.

Just like eight pieces of Triforce, eight mana spirits, eight badges... Maya sighed as the scene faded to black. Eight's the seven of the game world....the lucky number

Some snoring from the blank screen steered her back to the game before a young boy's voice called "Master?" in sync with a text box appearing with the word inside. "Master, you awake?" The black screen mimiced someone opening their eyes to display the spikey haired mage looking down. He backed away a little. "Did I wake you?" he asked, even though the matching text box read "Did I wake you, Brock?"

"Vul?" Raye was confused.

"I guess they didn't want to record a billion different names for the hero..." Maya explained as she watched the blue suited boy stretch his arms and groggily sit up in the grass.

"I thank you for waking me...otherwise I would've slept all day!" the blue suited boy laughed as he got up from the grass.

He even SOUNDS like Brock! Maya smiled. I wouldn't be surprised if Brock actually did his namesake's voice...either that or they got a voice actor that can mimic him very well

The spikey haired mage helped the blue suited boy up from the grass, than asked "Have you seen Pikachu anywhere?" The hero was about to answer when a familiar cry of "Pikachu!" was heard in the distance. A happy bouncy theme played as a thunderbolt tailed mouse darted from the brush and into the giggling mage's arms.

"Vul..." Raye smiled over the happy scene.

The hero brushed some grass from his suit and trousers. "Now that we've found everyone, we must be going--it'll be dark if we don't hurry." With that, the scene faded out before reappearing on a back view of the hero.

Blah blah blah... Maya sighed as a help dialog detailing which buttons did what appeared on the screen. I know the basics, so lets go! she thought as she shooed away another help window detailing the use of the X button. With that, she guided the hero over to the edge of the glen, where the mage was waiting.

"Are you sure you're ready to go into town?" the mage asked. Maya selected 'YES' from the option menu. "Okay! Let's go!"

"Vul vul pix?" Raye asked as the hero and the mage turned to leave the clearing.

"If I'd said 'NO' he would've kept asking until I broke down and said yes." Maya explained before turning her attention back to the screen, where the mage glanced back in the direction of some rustling. He gasped as three red jelly blobs bounced from the brush, alerting the hero to turn and look.

"Monsters in the Forest of Dawn? I never..." he grumbled as he drew a sword, making the scene swirl into the battle screen.

The camera panned over the scene of the hero and the mage staring down the jelly blobs before the hero's command list appeared. Maya selected "FIGHT" and watched as the hero slashed at one jelly, but didn't do very much damage.

"Jellies are more prone to magic, Master." the mage explained as his command menu came up. Inspired, Maya selected "SPELL" and debated between her two options: Heat or Ice. Since these jellies didn't appear to be any elemental, she selected Heat. The mage formed a flash of red light and called "Destruction of nature, gather in flame! Heat!" At this, a small fireball went flying at the same jelly she had attacked before, defeating it. She repeated the same process with the other two jellies: weaken it with the hero before casting a spell with the mage. While 2 experience and 3 gold wasn't much, she still felt a twinge of pride as both characters struck a victory pose.

The scene returned to the hero and the mage looking out over the edge of the forest. "I thought the Forest of Dawn was the only place unaffected by the evil power that rogue jester caused the Eye of Dominion to emit." the hero noted as he sheathed his blade. "But I was wrong."

"It's not just the forest, master." the mage added. "All of Feras feels the effects of the Eye's power in the hands of one with less than desirable character."

Okay, so what is desirable character? Maya rolled her eyes at the line.

"Enough talk, Ash...we must make for Childarin at once." the hero replied before leading the way to the road. The camera panned up to show the pinks, yellows and oranges of the setting sun before fading out. A flowing majestic melody began to play as the staff credits rolled over scenes of the hero and the mage on the road.

"Vul pix pix?" Raye was confused.

"No, Raye...the game's not even close to over." Maya smiled. Although if it were, it would be one VERY short game!

"Maya, time for dinner!" Maya's mom called from down the hall.

Maya paused the game and got up from her chair. "Come on, Raye." So we're off to save the world from an artifact that can either can do good things to the world or bad things depending on its holder--5000 credits says that jester guy from earlier is only a lackey for the real final boss...

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Mm.. Interesting story...

Comments
    Grammar Errors

"I'm home from the mall, Mom!" a brown haired girl called as she strolled into the kitchen and began unloading various shopping bags. After setting aside a few shirts and bottles of shower gel, she smiled with pride at the next item she pulled out: a thin box depicting a tanned skinned boy clad in what looked like a deep blue overcoat and black trousers, a spikey black haired boy she assumed was a mage judging from the gray and blue tunic and wide brimmed hat, a black haired girl in a hooded white robe with pale green and blue swirls, and a red haired girl wearing a red tunic with a black sash around her waist and a red bandana to match. Eight shining gems hung over the group of characters, with the words "Radiant Divinity VI: Gems of the New Dawn" plastered over them in the swirly letters characteristic of the Radiant Divinity series.

Stroll doesn't seem appropriate for an indoor walking action. "As she advanced towards the kitchen might have sounded better.

"Oh, is that a new game, Maya?" the girl's mother asked, snapping the girl from her trance.

"Yeah..." the girl replied as she set the game aside for a moment. "All the game magazines and Web sites are raving about it, so when I saw it in the bargain bin for 2000 credits, I couldn't resist. Think about it...I got a brand new game for cheap!"

"Vulpix?" a six tailed fox creature interuppted, interested in the game box.

"Feed Raye first before you get too involved with the GameStation 2." Maya's mom reminded her, brushing a wisp of black hair from her face as she tended to the beef simmering on the stove.

Right now I have noticed that you seem to have been lacking description of the house. You could have added a little overview of the life after the first paragraph and have included some description.

"Okay..." Maya trudged to the pantry and retrieved a yellow box with a smiling Vulpix on it. "Did you miss me?" she cooed to the six tailed fox hungrily admiring the small round nuggets falling into its feed dish with a rhythmic plop-plop-plop.

"Vulpix!" Raye smiled as she watched her master gather up her items and trek down the hall to her room.

Usually, "master" is used for relations that are loyal, however, by reading the story, it seems that the Vulpix is actually close to Maya, so it would sound nicer if "Maya" was used instead of "her master"

Maya, meanwhile, deposited the shower gel in the bathroom and hung the shirts over the laundry hamper before pulling a chair close by the large TV and the maze of wires from the various devices connected to it. After ejecting the puzzle game inside the black console that was wedged between some DVDs, she loaded the Radiant Divinity disk inside and switched both the system and the TV on.

After the requisite developer screens for both Circle and Level 4 displayed, a majestic melody began to play as a Staraptor soared over a lush plain. The title screen faded in as the fanfare sequed into a march, but by this time, Maya was getting a little annoyed. Enough with the pageantry already, I'm ready to play! she thought as she eagerly pressed START, making the music and title screen fade out. I know this is an epic adventure, you don't need to rub it in my face! Hello, I'm an epic adventure; can't you tell by the loud brass and drums?

The file select screen snapped her back to reality. She selected the top right empty file before being greeted by the name entry screen, with the blue suited boy standing off to the left side.

I don't recommend using multiple words to closely by paragraphs. Just like many other words, they get annoying and lose their meaning, try to watch that. It's not really a mistake, just a warning

"Vul pix pix!" Raye commented as she trotted in the room and curled up on Maya's bed, bemused by the images on the TV screen.

"He looks like Brock?" Maya asked. Raye nodded affirmatively. Inspired, Maya began spelling out 'Brock' on the name entry screen. If Raye thinks the hero looks like Brock, I'm naming him that just for her. Raye just giggled as the screen blipped "Save file created."

She drummed her fingers on the controller waiting for the first cutscene to load. Every once in a while, she would glance back at Raye, who was studying the screen intently as eight tiny gems formed and disappeared around the word "Loading..." in the bottom right corner. Loading, loading, loading....keep this game a loading... She impatiently sang to the tune of "Rawhide". Raye giggled at this.

A dramatic violin sting played as the camera suddenly panned over a majestic mansion, startling both Maya and Raye! Okay, so maybe this is a horror game! she gasped. Raye peeked from the covers seconds later, shuddering as the camera flew through the black and white "aged" footage of the hall and up a flight of stairs. It changed to show a young woman and a younger version of the blue suited boy running into a room and gasping in panic as a vaguely jester-esque figure studied a floating orb. So our bad guy's a clown? Maya thought. That's a new one for me...

Ok, you didn't describe when Raye got into the covers. Of course later on it's identifiable that she hid under the covers, but you didn't mention it, and that is important.

An orb that contains great power... appeared on the screen as the young hero tried to run and tackle the figure, but was held back. locked away in the hands of one of the world's most powerful families. After a few seconds, another line of text appeared: But whether or not this power is used for good or evil....depends on the holder. At this, the young hero turned and ran as the figure picked up the orb, making a bright flash of light appear, making everything inside the mansion and the occupants inside turn to stone.

"Vul pix..." Raye commented as the young hero fled onto the plains, away from his rapidly petrifying home.

"Well, at least his home's not completely destroyed..." Maya assured her Vulpix. Unlike a billion other RPGs I've played...

If the orb's power is ever corrupted, gathering eight gems infused with the powers of the elements will create a force strong enough to drive back the evil and return the orb to kinder hands the game explained as eight rainbow lights appeared around the now grown and colorized hero.

Just like eight pieces of Triforce, eight mana spirits, eight badges... Maya sighed as the scene faded to black. Eight's the seven of the game world....the lucky number

Some snoring from the blank screen steered her back to the game before a young boy's voice called "Master?" in sync with a text box appearing with the word inside. "Master, you awake?" The black screen mimiced someone opening their eyes to display the spikey haired mage looking down. He backed away a little. "Did I wake you?" he asked, even though the matching text box read "Did I wake you, Brock?"

"Vul?" Raye was confused.

AAAAA!!! *gasp* You forgot a quotation mark! No! Bad Dog! No Fido, no! BAAAAAAAD DOG!

lol jk. Don't make those kinds of mistakes, ok?

"I guess they didn't want to record a billion different names for the hero..." Maya explained as she watched the blue suited boy stretch his arms and groggily sit up in the grass.

"I thank you for waking me...otherwise I would've slept all day!" the blue suited boy laughed as he got up from the grass.

He even SOUNDS like Brock! Maya smiled. I wouldn't be surprised if Brock actually did his namesake's voice...either that or they got a voice actor that can mimic him very well

The spikey haired mage helped the blue suited boy up from the grass, than asked "Have you seen Pikachu anywhere?" The hero was about to answer when a familiar cry of "Pikachu!" was heard in the distance. A happy bouncy theme played as a thunderbolt tailed mouse darted from the brush and into the giggling mage's arms.

"Vul..." Raye smiled over the happy scene.

The hero brushed some grass from his suit and trousers. "Now that we've found everyone, we must be going--it'll be dark if we don't hurry." With that, the scene faded out before reappearing on a back view of the hero.

Blah blah blah... Maya sighed as a help dialog detailing which buttons did what appeared on the screen. I know the basics, so lets go! she thought as she shooed away another help window detailing the use of the X button. With that, she guided the hero over to the edge of the glen, where the mage was waiting.

"Are you sure you're ready to go into town?" the mage asked. Maya selected 'YES' from the option menu. "Okay! Let's go!"

"Vul vul pix?" Raye asked as the hero and the mage turned to leave the clearing.

"If I'd said 'NO' he would've kept asking until I broke down and said yes." Maya explained before turning her attention back to the screen, where the mage glanced back in the direction of some rustling. He gasped as three red jelly blobs bounced from the brush, alerting the hero to turn and look.

"Monsters in the Forest of Dawn? I never..." he grumbled as he drew a sword, making the scene swirl into the battle screen.

The camera panned over the scene of the hero and the mage staring down the jelly blobs before the hero's command list appeared. Maya selected "FIGHT" and watched as the hero slashed at one jelly, but didn't do very much damage.

"Jellies are more prone to magic, Master." the mage explained as his command menu came up. Inspired, Maya selected "SPELL" and debated between her two options: Heat or Ice. Since these jellies didn't appear to be any elemental, she selected Heat. The mage formed a flash of red light and called "Destruction of nature, gather in flame! Heat!" At this, a small fireball went flying at the same jelly she had attacked before, defeating it. She repeated the same process with the other two jellies: weaken it with the hero before casting a spell with the mage. While 2 experience and 3 gold wasn't much, she still felt a twinge of pride as both characters struck a victory pose.

The scene returned to the hero and the mage looking out over the edge of the forest. "I thought the Forest of Dawn was the only place unaffected by the evil power that rogue jester caused the Eye of Dominion to emit." the hero noted as he sheathed his blade. "But I was wrong."

"It's not just the forest, master." the mage added. "All of Feras feels the effects of the Eye's power in the hands of one with less than desirable character."

Okay, so what is desirable character?[/i} Maya rolled her eyes at the line.

Make sure you code correctly if you are going to add it into your fan fiction.

"Enough talk, Ash...we must make for Childarin at once." the hero replied before leading the way to the road. The camera panned up to show the pinks, yellows and oranges of the setting sun before fading out. A flowing majestic melody began to play as the staff credits rolled over scenes of the hero and the mage on the road.

"Vul pix pix?" Raye was confused.

"No, Raye...the game's not even close to over." Maya smiled. Although if it were, it would be one VERY short game!

"Maya, time for dinner!" Maya's mom called from down the hall.

Maya paused the game and got up from her chair. "Come on, Raye." So we're off to save the world from an artifact that can either can do good things to the world or bad things depending on its holder--5000 credits says that jester guy from earlier is only a lackey for the real final boss...

Alright, pretty good on average, few grammar errors and language misuses here and there, but this story seems to have potential. However, I have a few overall concerns.

It may be because I haven't read the story you are basing this off, but are you mentioning "Brock" and "Ash" from the Anime? This is an original fan fiction, you can't expect readers to know everything, in fact, you should never, it doesn't matter if this a forum to Pokemon fans, always describe everything. We can't really get a good image if you mix RPGs with Anime characters, you know.

Also, you described very well the game settings, but you are failing to describe the frame settings, like the house, or the locations. Never expect readers to know everything, I've never read the book you base this off.

Anyways, I see potential, very good. I'll wait for the next chapter.

And don't worry, everyone makes silly mistakes once in a while. Always double check grammar to make sure you don't miss anything crucial like that final quotation mark.

EmeraldSky

Years
    It's meant to be a send-up of Console RPGs in the Pokeworld, and the anime cast is playing the role of the "game"'s characters

I try to make sure I get the code right, but I do let one slip occasionally--thanks for pointing this out!

I'll also revise the beginning like you said--I meant to include some description, but I guess I was rushing to start the "game". That, and beginnings aren't my strong point.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    It's Ok, we all tend to rush sometimes. But that is not necessary at all. Remember you want the reader to stay attracted. You have as much time and space as you like to write this out.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Heh, nice chapter. I don't know what to think about you naming the characters after Pokemon MCs... it's cute, and you could probably get some laughs out of it (like naming the persistent brat Giovanni or the stoic mercenary Dan). Which brings me to my next tip: if you're going to write this fic, a fun little page called The Grand List of Console RPG Cliches should be really helpful.

EmeraldSky

Years
    In planning this, I have written out which of those will be played straight, and which ones will be parodied. The ones that are played straight, Maya will comment on, and those I parody will be commented on by the "game"'s characters

EmeraldSky

Years
    Episode 2: Lackey is Making an Uproar!

Maya returned to her room, with Raye not far behind. She settled back in her chair and unpaused the game, making the scene of the hero and the mage walking start moving again. As the two characters walked into the town, Maya took a moment to study the town's design. Nice...there's enough houses in proportion to the number of people..normally there's a bunch of people and not enough houses...

"Pix?" Raye was interested in Maya's bemused face.

"Ever notice how in other games like this, there's either a bunch of people and not enough houses for all of them, or a lot of houses and too few people?" Maya asked as the two heroes arrived in the town square, which had a white marble fountain in the center. "Here, the number of people you'd expect to find in a town affects how many buildings other than shops and inns are in there." With that, she turned her attention back to the screen as a cutscene began.

The hero looked around the square for a moment, as if a tourist taking in the view of the stone archways and cobblestone roads. "Yes...we're in the right place. Master Adin does still live here."

"Wasn't he the one that spoke of supposed melodies that the eight gems sang?" the mage asked.

"He was..." the hero replied. "When the Eye of Dominion turns to black, eight melodies will guide it back towards the light."

"Remember that prophecy, you'll be seeing it again." Maya smiled at the Vulpix sprawled over the foot of the bed. Raye just smiled and studied the screen intently, curious as to what the two humans on the screen would do next.

"But I thought we were traveling to find the rogue that corrupted the Eye, Master." the mage protested. "Have you forgotten what he did to your family and fortune?"

"I haven't forgotten what Peroli did--corrupted our family heirloom, turned my relatives to stone, forced me to flee the home I grew up in, and sent rumors flying that he is out killing those that guard the Elemental Stones." the hero replied.

So Peroli's the name of the jester guy from before... Maya mused. That, and our hero's unusually calm about discussing his past.

"Having said that, we can't just sit idly and watch him wreak havoc." the hero cautioned. "We have to seek out the Elemental Stones and their holders before he can, and if they do sing, use the song to turn the Eye back to the light."

There's our "Collect so many things and save the world" plot again... Maya sighed.

The hero clenched a fist. "Wherever you are, Peroli, know that you won't get away with what you did! I will go to the very edges of Feras to find you if I have to!"

Temper, temper... Maya thought. But then again, if I had to flee the house I grew up in and had my family turned to stone, I'd be mad too.

The mage seemed to share Maya's thoughts. "Calm down...I will pledge my powers to help you on your journey."

"This is why we're here--to meet with the sage Adin."
    the hero began, now calmer thanks to his companion's pledge. "Let's go look for him." With that, the scene returned to the hero again.

I wonder where the mage goes when the cut scene is over? Maya thought as she guided the hero over to a shining spot of blue light nearby the entrance to the square, prompting a help dialog about saving to appear. Okay...save anywhere on the overworld, but with these little spots in towns and dungeons--got it! After saving her progress, she decided to make a quick run through the houses in the town, picking up gold, a plain tunic for the mage, and various potions along the way. After observing the mage already had a plain tunic equipped, she opted to save the one she had found just in case another character could use it.

She decided to head for the pub on a whim, prompting a cutscene involving an overheard conversation between two patrons. "Have you heard about the fortune teller that lives here? People say she uses the Aqua Tear to see the future, but ever since an odd magician came to town, her fortune telling has become...haphazard, if you will."

The other patron slammed down a mug in disgust. "You dare call the lady Quine's fortunetelling haphazard? he bellowed. "If she wasn't as accurate as she usually is, you would say all fortune telling is haphazard!"

"Yet she did foretell the flood..."
    the first patron protested.

"So what if she fortold the flood? What could she do to stop it?" the second patron continued.

The first patron was confused. "Wait...if the lady Quine knew about the flood, could she have warned Master Adin? She may draw the power of the Aqua Tear, but the sage is the one that guards it! Are you saying Master Adin was washed away?"

So the sage is likely dead as a doornail... Maya mused.

What the second patron said confirmed her prediction. "Yes...he was...and the Aqua Tear spirited away to some location in Feras."

So why did our heroes come out here to begin with? Maya wondered as she regained control of the hero. She guided him over to the second patron and hit X to talk, starting a cutscene between him, the hero, and the mage.

"Hm?" the patron asked as the hero and the mage approached.

"Forgive us for eavesdropping on your conversation..." the hero started. "We overheard what happened to Master Adin and the lady Quine..." This was about as far as he got before a boy burst into the room. "Everyone, come quickly! There's an intruder on the town square!" A dramatic sting played as Maya regained control again. She retraced her steps back to the square, where a boy about the same age as the hero, only wearing red and with long silver hair, was grappling with the town guards.

The mage frowned. "If it isn't your self proclaimed rival..."

"Arilimar and I go way back..." the hero explained as the silver haired boy in red deftly knocked away a guard. "Ever since I began my journey to find Peroli and bring him to justice, he's been right behind me, saying he'll be the one to find Peroli before I do. It is only fitting he show up here."

Just then, the silver haired boy noticed the hero and the mage watching him. "Well, well, well...fancy my rival showing up here. Perhaps you would like to duel me? Give me a better challenge than the guards?"

"I have no time for your games, Arilimar." the hero sighed. "We need to find the Aqua Tear--its bearer has been slain."

"Oh ho, beating me to the Aqua Tear, are you?"
    Arilimar chuckled. "You know the Aqua Tear is the Elemental Stone of Water, do you not? You know that I wish to gain its beauty?"

"You only want to find an elemental stone for your own gain?"
    the hero shouted back, appalled. "All of Feras is in danger, and all you care about is wealth and fortune!" The crowd murmured as the hero and the mage joined Arilimar in the square, anxious as to what would happen next. "I have undertook a personal journey to find the Elemental Stones, and I won't have selfish pretty boys like you getting in the way!"

Arilimar just drew his sword again. "If you want to find it that badly, I challenge you! The winner goes out to find the Aqua Tear!" The hero drew his own blade, and the scene swirled to the battle scene.

Maya waited until the hero's command menu had appeared before pausing the game. Imagine that...a boss fight this soon! she thought as she retreated to her PC.

"Vul?" Raye asked as Maya clicked "Kanto Online", bringing up the online service's sign in screen.

"I'm just going to see how you beat Arilimar." Maya assured Raye as she logged on. Once her homepage had appeared, she typed an address in the address bar and clicked "Go". Raye just cocked her head as the page appeared, the words "GameHelp.com" hanging proudly over the other links in metallic purple letters. After clicking "R" and finding Radiant Divinity VI in the list of games, she selected one link that read "Boss Guide."

She smiled when she saw that Arilimar was the first boss on the list, but grimaced when she saw "Arilimar (2nd fight)" farther down the page, followed by 'Arilimar (3rd fight)" about halfway down. So Arilimar's the persistent kind of miniboss... she sighed as she scrolled back to the top again, not wanting to find out if she had to fight Arilimar more than three times.

"Vul vulpix?" Raye asked.

Maya read over the strategy. "At least all you have to do is use a spell on him the first time..." she assured her Vulpix before returning to the game and unpausing it. After telling the hero to defend, she selected Ice from the mage's two spells.

"Scatter your chilly sharp blades! Ice!" the mage called, sending Arilimar to his knees.

The scene then switched to Arilimar on his knees before the hero. "Why didn't you tell me you hired a mage? No fair!"

"I didn't hire the mage--he is my attendant, confidant, and advisor." the hero explained.

Arilimar weakly stood up. "By the High Goddess, I will not forget this!" With that, he fled into the night. The crowd, seeing that the ruckus was over, began to disperse.

The hero sheathed his blade. "Well, I suppose we need to pay the fortune teller a visit--see if she knows anything about the flood that killed Master Adin."

"Oh, believe me, hero..." Maya taunted the TV as she regained control. "You'll learn about that and much, much, more!"

To Be Continued...

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Episode 2: Lackey is Making an Uproar!

Comment
    Correction
    Maya returned to her room, with Raye not far behind. She settled back in her chair and unpaused the game, making the scene of the hero and the mage walking start moving again. As the two characters walked into the town, Maya took a moment to study the town's design. Nice...there's enough houses in proportion to the number of people..normally there's a bunch of people and not enough houses...

"Pix?" Raye was interested in Maya's bemused face.

"Ever notice how in other games like this, there's either a bunch of people and not enough houses for all of them, or a lot of houses and too few people?" Maya asked as the two heroes arrived in the town square, which had a white marble fountain in the center. "Here, the number of people you'd expect to find in a town affects how many buildings other than shops and inns are in there." With that, she turned her attention back to the screen as a cutscene began.

The hero looked around the square for a moment, as if a tourist taking in the view of the stone archways and cobblestone roads. "Yes...we're in the right place. Master Adin does still live here."

"Wasn't he the one that spoke of supposed melodies that the eight gems sang?" the mage asked.

"He was..." the hero replied. "When the Eye of Dominion turns to black, eight melodies will guide it back towards the light."

"Remember that prophecy, you'll be seeing it again." Maya smiled at the Vulpix sprawled over the foot of the bed. Raye just smiled and studied the screen intently, curious as to what the two humans on the screen would do next.

"But I thought we were traveling to find the rogue that corrupted the Eye, Master." the mage protested. "Have you forgotten what he did to your family and fortune?"

"I haven't forgotten what Peroli did--corrupted our family heirloom, turned my relatives to stone, forced me to flee the home I grew up in, and sent rumors flying that he is out killing those that guard the Elemental Stones." the hero replied.

So Peroli's the name of the jester guy from before... Maya mused. That, and our hero's unusually calm about discussing his past.

"Having said that, we can't just sit idly and watch him wreak havoc." the hero cautioned. "We have to seek out the Elemental Stones and their holders before he can, and if they do sing, use the song to turn the Eye back to the light."

There's our "Collect so many things and save the world" plot again... Maya sighed.

The hero clenched a fist. "Wherever you are, Peroli, know that you won't get away with what you did! I will go to the very edges of Feras to find you if I have to!"

Temper, temper... Maya thought. But then again, if I had to flee the house I grew up in and had my family turned to stone, I'd be mad too.

The mage seemed to share Maya's thoughts. "Calm down...I will pledge my powers to help you on your journey."

"This is why we're here--to meet with the sage Adin."
    the hero began, now calmer thanks to his companion's pledge. "Let's go look for him." With that, the scene returned to the hero again.

I wonder where the mage goes when the cut scene is over? Maya thought as she guided the hero over to a shining spot of blue light nearby the entrance to the square, prompting a help dialog about saving to appear. Okay...save anywhere on the overworld, but with these little spots in towns and dungeons--got it! After saving her progress, she decided to make a quick run through the houses in the town, picking up gold, a plain tunic for the mage, and various potions along the way. After observing the mage already had a plain tunic equipped, she opted to save the one she had found just in case another character could use it.

She decided to head for the pub on a whim, prompting a cutscene involving an overheard conversation between two patrons. "Have you heard about the fortune teller that lives here? People say she uses the Aqua Tear to see the future, but ever since an odd magician came to town, her fortune telling has become...haphazard, if you will."

The other patron slammed down a mug in disgust. "You dare call the lady Quine's fortunetelling haphazard? he bellowed. "If she wasn't as accurate as she usually is, you would say all fortune telling is haphazard!"

"Yet she did foretell the flood..."
    the first patron protested.

"So what if she fortold the flood? What could she do to stop it?" the second patron continued.

The first patron was confused. "Wait...if the lady Quine knew about the flood, could she have warned Master Adin? She may draw the power of the Aqua Tear, but the sage is the one that guards it! Are you saying Master Adin was washed away?"

So the sage is likely dead as a doornail... Maya mused.

What the second patron said confirmed her prediction. "Yes...he was...and the Aqua Tear spirited away to some location in Feras."

So why did our heroes come out here to begin with? Maya wondered as she regained control of the hero. She guided him over to the second patron and hit X to talk, starting a cutscene between him, the hero, and the mage.

"Hm?" the patron asked as the hero and the mage approached.

"Forgive us for eavesdropping on your conversation..." the hero started. "We overheard what happened to Master Adin and the lady Quine..." This was about as far as he got before a boy burst into the room. "Everyone, come quickly! There's an intruder on the town square!" A dramatic sting played as Maya regained control again. She retraced her steps back to the square, where a boy about the same age as the hero, only wearing red and with long silver hair, was grappling with the town guards.

The mage frowned. "If it isn't your self proclaimed rival..."

"Arilimar and I go way back..." the hero explained as the silver haired boy in red deftly knocked away a guard. "Ever since I began my journey to find Peroli and bring him to justice, he's been right behind me, saying he'll be the one to find Peroli before I do. It is only fitting he show up here."

Just then, the silver haired boy noticed the hero and the mage watching him. "Well, well, well...fancy my rival showing up here. Perhaps you would like to duel me? Give me a better challenge than the guards?"

"I have no time for your games, Arilimar." the hero sighed. "We need to find the Aqua Tear--its bearer has been slain."

"Oh ho, beating me to the Aqua Tear, are you?"
    Arilimar chuckled. "You know the Aqua Tear is the Elemental Stone of Water, do you not? You know that I wish to gain its beauty?"

"You only want to find an elemental stone for your own gain?"
    the hero shouted back, appalled. "All of Feras is in danger, and all you care about is wealth and fortune!" The crowd murmured as the hero and the mage joined Arilimar in the square, anxious as to what would happen next. "I have undertook a personal journey to find the Elemental Stones, and I won't have selfish pretty boys like you getting in the way!"

Arilimar just drew his sword again. "If you want to find it that badly, I challenge you! The winner goes out to find the Aqua Tear!" The hero drew his own blade, and the scene swirled to the battle scene.

Maya waited until the hero's command menu had appeared before pausing the game. Imagine that...a boss fight this soon! she thought as she retreated to her PC.

"Vul?" Raye asked as Maya clicked "Kanto Online", bringing up the online service's sign in screen.

"I'm just going to see how you beat Arilimar." Maya assured Raye as she logged on. Once her homepage had appeared, she typed an address in the address bar and clicked "Go". Raye just cocked her head as the page appeared, the words "GameHelp.com" hanging proudly over the other links in metallic purple letters. After clicking "R" and finding Radiant Divinity VI in the list of games, she selected one link that read "Boss Guide."

She smiled when she saw that Arilimar was the first boss on the list, but grimaced when she saw "Arilimar (2nd fight)" farther down the page, followed by 'Arilimar (3rd fight)" about halfway down. So Arilimar's the persistent kind of miniboss... she sighed as she scrolled back to the top again, not wanting to find out if she had to fight Arilimar more than three times.

"Vul vulpix?" Raye asked.

Maya read over the strategy. "At least all you have to do is use a spell on him the first time..." she assured her Vulpix before returning to the game and unpausing it. After telling the hero to defend, she selected Ice from the mage's two spells.

"Scatter your chilly sharp blades! Ice!" the mage called, sending Arilimar to his knees.

The scene then switched to Arilimar on his knees before the hero. "Why didn't you tell me you hired a mage? No fair!"

"I didn't hire the mage--he is my attendant, confidant, and advisor." the hero explained.

Arilimar weakly stood up. "By the High Goddess, I will not forget this!" With that, he fled into the night. The crowd, seeing that the ruckus was over, began to disperse.

The hero sheathed his blade. "Well, I suppose we need to pay the fortune teller a visit--see if she knows anything about the flood that killed Master Adin."

"Oh, believe me, hero..." Maya taunted the TV as she regained control. "You'll learn about that and much, much, more!"

To Be Continued...

Alright, pretty good nothing unusual besides a few things.

Once again you seem to lack a bit of description, especially in-game. Remember description is vital.

A little short, but it's Ok.

Keep it up.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    More discussion form Maya, Grand Forty-Two of Incredible Wisdom!

Eh, I didn't like this as much as the last chapter for some reason. xD I think you're pretty much down on the grammar and spelling, and the snark-proclaimery is still fun to read. xD I can't give you too much advice as this is a parody with no discernible purpose except to poke fun at video games, so I will say just two words: keep going!

EmeraldSky

Years
    Episode 3: I See a Fetch Quest

Now where would Quine's house be? Maya sighed as she guided the hero through the cobblestone streets past various sized wood and stone buildings. A building marked with a sword sign by the pub marked the weapon shop's location. The armor shop had a sign with a shield, and the item shop a sign with bottles.

Then an idea hit her: rather than run around the market district, why not head outside in hopes a cutscene containing a clue would trigger?

She guided the hero outside, and the scene of the town faded to black, triggering the "Loading..." screen again. Bingo! Cut scene right when I needed it! She watched as the hero and the mage walked back out onto the plains again. The hero stopped a few steps away from the town entrance, a thoughtful look on his face.

"Master? Is everything all right?" The mage was concerned.

"First we find out the sage has died, then we find my rival here, and our only lead is a fortune teller's connection to the Aqua Tear, the Elemental Stone of water." the hero began as he looked out over the hills and the moonlight playing over the grass.

"I suppose there's no point wasting more of our time here..." the mage started as he walked farther down the hill towards a road in the distance. "Isn't the rogue Peroli who we're rightfully after?"

"That's true..."
    the hero mused as he walked to rejoin the mage. "I had hoped Master Adin would've been able to help us find him; but now it seems we'll have to continue chasing him by ourselves. With Adin gone, there's nothing more to gain from remaining here. Let us be off!" With that, the companions began walking towards the road until a young female voice called "Wait!"

The hero turned around to look and noticed a light blonde haired girl in a pale blue robe running down to meet them. "Please...wait..." she wheezed. The mage noticed some pale outlines of water drops decorating the girl's robe, and opened his mouth to say something, but the hero motioned for him to be quiet as the girl continued "Forgive me for running after you like this, but I wish to ask you a favor."

"Very well...what would you have us do?" the hero asked.

If I have to bet anything, she wants us to go find the Aqua Tear ourselves... Maya thought. The girl's line sounded very much like a signal for a fetch quest, and Maya was not looking foward to running after a billion seemingly useless items.

"My name is Muniya, apprentice to the lady Quine." the girl began. "I have dreamt about you for many nights."

"Really?"
    The mage was intrigued. "What was the dream about? A boy in green followed by a fairy? Beings that live out there?" he asked, pointing at the screen on the word "there". He was about to say more until the hero shot him The Look.

"No, the dream did not involve those kinds of things." the girl replied. "In my dream, I saw two people--a swordsman in blue and a mage--come to town some time after a flood. These two people saw the destruction the flood had caused, and used some kind of power to rebuild the town. When they had finished rebuilding, they used this power to make the people's wishes come true."

"Hm, most intriguing..."
    the hero replied. "We were considering coming to visit your mistress ourselves...."

"You were coming to visit Quine?" Muniya was surprised. "Please, come visit! Ever since the Aqua Tear was lost, she's been so sad...and maybe a visit would cheer her up! She lives by the well on the far end of the square!" A map appeared pointing out the location with an X before returning to the hero again.

"Finally, a breakthrough!" the hero cried before starting back up the hill after Muniya. "It's possible that the fortune teller's apprentice has information that can help our cause, so let us go to her house and see what she wants." The cutscene ended there.

I agree with you, hero--finally, a breakthrough! Maya smiled as she wound past the market district, down a stairway leading into the square, and past the well, leading to a house marked by a crystal ball sign.

"Vul..." Raye was impressed with the house's blue decor, especially the deep blue carpet with wave trim and the moons and stars on the aqua tablecloth. An empy wood pedestal sat at the center of the table, tipping Maya off that that was where the Aqua Tear would usually be. Muniya sat at the right side of the table, dozing. Since Quine is out at the moment, her apprentice is filling in... Maya thought once she noticed Muniya was seated where Quine would likely sit.

The hero speaking in the next cutscene snapped her back to attention: "We're here, my lady."

Muniya sleepily looked up and smiled at the hero. "You came!" She quickly stood up and brushed herself off. "Forgiving me for dozing off like that--how rude of me! Now, I wanted to ask you a favor concerning the Aqua Tear..."

And our first dungeon... Maya thought.

"Oh, I'm getting ahead of myself--shall I start from the beginning?" Muniya asked, prompting a choice dialog to appear. Maya selected "YES" and listened as Muniya continued "All right...you know that my mistress, Quine, is a famous fortune teller, yes?" The hero nodded. "From treasure to missing people, she helped many people here. But when the sage was killed and the Aqua Tear taken, she lost her powers. The Aqua Tear was--" she started, but some footsteps got her attention. The door opened and the scene shifted to a woman with short black hair wearing an ornate sky blue kimono-like robe decorated in moons, stars, and blue tears framed in the doorway.

So that's Quine... Maya thought.

"Muniya!" the woman sternly called, getting the girl's attention. "Explain to me what's going on, please..." she asked as she strolled into the house. "Furthermore, why have you touched the Pedestal of the Tear?"

"Forgive me, mistress Quine--" Muniya stammered as she gingerly lifted away her hand from the small wooden pedestal.

Quine glanced over at the hero. "And what brings you here? Are you maybe a guest of Muniya's?" The hero started to answer, but Quine brushed aside the reply. "Never mind that...I know not what Muniya has asked of you, but I do not require your service at this time. You are free to leave."

But we just got here! Maya silently protested. The shocked look on the hero's face seemed to mirror her plea.

"Muniya...say your goodbyes and escort our guests outside--I am going on to bed." Quine sighed before tromping upstairs.

Muniya waited until Quine had disappeared up the stairs before continuing "Forgive me--Quine wasn't always like this. She may not admit it, but she is the one who is suffering ever since the Aqua Tear was lost. That's what I wished to ask you--will you find the Aqua Tear and bring back the Quine I know?" Another choice dialog came up, and Maya selected "YES" again.

"You have my honor I will find and bring back the Aqua Tear for you." the hero replied.

"You will?"
    Muniya was overjoyed. "Thank you--this was just how it happened in my dream! I also dreamt that the Aqua Tear was taken to a big cave inside the waterfall to the west of town."

The scene changed to the hero and the mage walking on the road. "You know, I kinda like Muniya..." the mage began.

"How so?" the hero asked.

"She loves Quine almost like her own mother..." the mage replied. "And if Quine gets her power back, she just might be able to help us."

"If this all works out like I think it will..."
    the hero started as he began pitching a tent on the grass. "we'll kill two Pidgeys with one stone and possibly find out where Peroli is. For now, let us rest for our adventure in the morning." The scene faded to black as a short soothing jingle played before returning to the hero on the world map again.

"Here we go, Raye--the first dungeon!" Maya smiled to her Vulpix--now that the exposition was more or less out of the way, the story could finally get going!

To Be Continued...

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Heh, you're doing a nice job with this. It really has the feel of a RPG, and the Mage's comment of the beings 'out there' was hilarious. I can't really say much about it seeing as it's a parody, but it is absolutely hilarious and must be written! *heroic stance*

Er... yeah. Good luck.

EmeraldSky

Years
    Episode 4: The Path to the First Trial

Once the screen faded in on the hero and the mage breaking camp, the hero interjected. "It's time...let us be off to the waterfall cave and see if the Aqua Tear has indeed been taken there."

I have news for you, hero: it's there, all right. Maya thought as she regained control over the hero. I'm only the one guiding you to it. She looked over at Raye dozing at the foot of the bed for a moment, then resumed playing.

The mage looked at the screen "If you ever get lost on the way, don't hesitate to talk to me using the Select button...not that I plan on getting lost."

"Point noted." Maya replied to the screen. "And we're not going to get lost." With that, she skimmed over the help dialogue concerning HP and MP. Use potions to recover HP and ethers for MP--you can recover fully by resting at an inn or touching a save point--got it!

"Are you sure we have everything we need for the journey?" the hero asked, prompting a choice dialogue to appear. Maya sighed as she picked "YES"--she was more than ready to brave a dungeon. "Okay then! Off we go!" With that, the scene returned to the hero standing on the bridge leading to town.

"How hard is it to get to a cave behind a waterfall?" Maya asked herself as she guided the hero on the road. "Muniya said that it's west of town, so all I have to do is go west. If I stay on the road, monsters probably won't attack." No sooner had she said that, did the screen swirl into the battle scene. Okay, so maybe monsters can attack on the road in this game... she sighed as a lone red jelly appeared. This is too easy... She watched the hero land a critical blow, defeating the jelly immediately. Upon returning to the hero on the road again, she continued to guide him down the road in a westerly direction before coming to a fork in the path marked by a signpost. She was about to approach the signpost when the scene swirled into battle again, this time pitting her against three large snails with huge lips.

"Vul?" Raye yawned, piqued by the odd creatures.

"I hate Loveslugs...for an early enemy, their kiss attack can do heavy damage and has an attack that causes paralysis, which is really annoying when you have nothing to cure it with." Maya explained as she directed the hero to attack a Loveslug. The second Loveslug attacked the mage for 5 damage, with the third Loveslug adding a second attack on the mage, also taking away 5 HP. The first Loveslug used Lick on the mage, paralyzing him.

"How is everything in here?" Maya's mom asked as she came to pick up the laundry.

"Fighting annoying bad guys right now, can't talk." Maya replied as she directed the hero to attack again. She winced as a Loveslug attacked the mage a third time, bringing his HP into the red zone. Stop attacking the mage, you guys! she pleaded with the Loveslugs. She heaved a sigh of relief as the mage's paralysis wore off, and selected ITEM from his commend menu, selecting the picture of the potion on the first box. The hero then attacked, killing a Loveslug; and the mage used a bottle of red liquid, bringing his HP back into the green zone.

Once the mage was healed, Maya got an idea: What if she could attack both remaining Loveslugs at once?

She selected Ice from the spell list, set the target to 'All enemies' and watched the mage conjure some icicles. "Scatter your chilly sharp blades! Ice!" Both Loveslugs received massive damage, but it was not enough to kill both enemies. The hero felling one made things a little easier, but when the last Loveslug attacked the mage again, Maya decided enough was enough and selected FIGHT from the mage's command list. The mage whacked the last Loveslug, defeating it and returning her to the hero by the signpost again.

After guiding the hero over to the sign, she glanced at what it said. Left is back the way we came, right is the Chateau de Aozora, our hero's home. Maya mused. For now, we need to get to the waterfall cave. With that, she backtracked on the road a little and veered into the grass, passing what looked like the ruins of a fortress at first, before realizing it was the town where she had come from. But before she could venture any farther, the screen swirled into battle, this time pitting her against a wild Meowth and two jellies.

She directed the hero to attack the Meowth and the mage attack one of the jellies. The jelly went down easily, but the Meowth proved a tougher opponent. Another bash from a staff and a slash from a sword later, she was back on the hills outside of town again.

"Vul..." Raye felt sorry for the Meowth Maya had defeated. Granted, the tiny pale yellow cat was only a picture on a screen, but she still felt a twinge of sympathy for it. "Vulpix?" she asked.

"I don't think you can catch wild Pokemon until later--and even then, it is a sidequest." Maya explained as she guided the hero over the rolling green hills towards another road. But before she set foot on the road, she was taken to battle once again--against three Meowths.

One Meowth sprung at the hero for 2 damage, and a second attacked the mage for 3 damage. Maya just continued her strategy of hack and slash to defeat the Meowths--so far, that seemed to be working.

"Brock grew to lv. 2!" the screen read as a trumphant fanfare played after displaying the post battle spoils. About time... Maya smiled as she read through the hero's stat boosts. Her smile got even wider when she saw the screen proclaim "Ash grew to lv. 2!" and "Ash learned Bolt!" with the same fanfare each time. After reading through the mage's stat boosts, she was returned to the hero on the new road again. She could see a waterfall in the distance from this road, so she guided the hero westward towards it.

She had gotten no farther than a few steps past a signpost when she was taken to battle against two Meowths and a Loveslug. The Meowths were first to attack, but Maya had a new plan in mind: try her new spell on the Loveslug before it attacked.

"Strip away the ground with glistening blades! Bolt!" the mage commanded, making thunderbolts fly at the Loveslug, defeating it. The hero felled a Meowth seconds later, and the second only needed two attacks to go down.

Once back on the road again, she wound her way through the twists and turns untill she saw a cave entrance inside a rock behind the waterfall. This is it...the waterfall cave. she thought as she guided the hero toward the entrance, prompting a cutscene.

"Here we are..." the hero noted as he approached the cave entrance. "You are aware we may meet monsters inside?"

If they're as easy as Meowths and jellies, bring'em on! Maya smiled.

"I know that..." the mage replied. "No one said this journey would be easy, but if it means restoring your family's honor, I'm with you all the way." With that, the two heroes walked into the cave...

To Be Continued...

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    A side-quest, catching Pokemon? Couldn't you equip one and have it deal extra damage like in those browser RPGs?

Anyway, another nice chapter. Raye's reacction to Maya's Meowth whack-fest was a nice touch, but I think you could have made the Mage's wallbreakery a little more... interesting? So far, I've noticed that the funny, sarcastic parts have diminished greatly from the first chapter; for example, Maya's sarcastic proclaimation of 'Hello, I'm an epic adventure!' made me laugh for a good minute before I read on, but the on;y chuckle I got out of this was the aforementioned Meowth thing.

Maybe they hired a comedian to write the script because no one else wanted to do it or something? xD

EmeraldSky

Years
    Episode 5: Back to the Level Grind

At first, Maya appeared to be making good progress through the Waterfall Cave the next morning, but it took an ambush of two small red devil creatures around the first bend that made her reconsider. Neither the hero nor the mage did very much damage, and in turn, they each got 10 HP lopped off with each attack.

"Maybe we should regroup!" the mage commented as Maya commanded them to flee the battle.

My thoughts exactly. Maya smiled. Maybe after I accumulate a few levels and buy both of them some new weapons and armor, we'll try again. she thought as she guided the hero back outside. Then again, imps and monsters like them rank up there with Loveslugs in the annoying department--'Hey, I'm gonna inflict a whole bunch of status spells on you and leave you helpless!'

Some hours, five levels, a number of items, and about 1000 gold pieces later...

"Okay, let's look at the stats here..." Maya mused as she selected the status tab in the pause menu. Both characters were now level 7, the hero had a new sword and armor, and the mage had a boomerang and new armor. The item list held a fresh stash of potions, ethers, and cures, and both characters had some new spells--the hero had learned Cure, Escape, and Warp, and the mage Aero, a wind elemental spell. Perfect--NOW we're ready! With that, she guided the hero inside the Waterfall Cave again.

After guiding the hero up a slope lined with torches and around a turn, she was met by an imp. I'm back, but you're going down! Maya thought. With that, she directed the hero and the mage to attack, making for a much easier fight the second time around. The slope led to an intersection with a red and gold chest sitting at where the two paths diverged. What's in here? She smiled when she saw she had received a dungeon map. While a nice thing to have, I also have GameHelp.com on call. she thought. With that, she pressed the square button.

"Now where?" the mage commented as a map of the first floor appeared. Maya noticed that no matter which way she took, both routes ended at the stairs for the next floor. With that thought in mind, she returned to the hero on the world map and guided him down the right route into a room with a path lined with stalagmites. She thought she saw something that looked human off in the distance, but hit Select to see if the mage shared her suspicions.

"I think I see someone...let's get closer and see!" the mage replied.

All right then, let's go look. As Maya led the hero closer, the human figure took the form of a red haired girl wearing the familiar white and red robe of a cleric. But before she could approach the cleric and talk, the scene swirled into another battle with an imp.

The mage attacked first, his boomerang smacking the imp for 16 damage. The hero attacked soon after to defeat it. I like how the mage is a bit more helpful now in the physical attack department. Maya thought as she guided the hero to the cleric and hit X to talk.

"I came to look at the waterfall, and I found this cave." the cleric explained. "Finding a new place is exciting, but I didn't count on being lost. If you want, I can heal your wounds for you. Would you like that?"

No thanks, I'm doing okay on HP for now. Maya thought as she selected "NO" and noted three chests in the distance. She guided the hero to one and found a phoenix feather, and took a potion and a leather hat from the other two.

"Vulpix?" Raye asked as Maya equipped the leather hat on the mage.

"I just gave the mage a new piece of headgear, and we have another reviving item and healing item." Maya replied as she guided the hero down the path past a few small pools. "and if we run low on HP and MP, that white mage wil help." She eventually came to a second intersection, but figured it was where the two diverging paths from before met. She was about to head for the stairs when she was met by two moles.

Moles are earth elemental, and earth is weak to wind... A sly look came over Maya's face as she directed the hero to attack and the mage to cast Aero.

"Feel the furious breeze! Aero!" the mage called, sending wind gusts at one mole for 11 damage and the other for 12 damage. The hero followed up with an attack seconds later, defeating one of the moles. The remaining mole clawed the hero for 2 damage, but then the mage then felled the mole to end the battle. Once back on the world map again, Maya guided the hero through a room dotted in crystals and down the stairs.

So here we are on the next floor... Maya thought as she consulted the map.

"Where do we go from here?" the mage commented as the map appeared.

Let's see...we keep going down this path until we reach a wide open room...then the path splits into what looks like a Wailord's spout. the left way probably goes up, and the right way goes down.... With that thought in mind, she returned to the world map. She had started down the new passageway when she was taken into battle against a Zubat and a ball of fuzz with a single eye.

"Vulpix..." Raye growled, even though the Zubat was just a picture onscreen.

"That's right, Raye...darn Zubats." Maya smiled as she selected commands for the hero and the mage. "One thing RPGs get right from real life, in every cave there's seemingly hundreds of Zubats." She watched as the mage took out the Zubat easily. "Fortunately, Zubats are easy to beat at first...keyword here: at first." Raye shuddered as she watched the hero attack the fuzzball--she was not looking foward to seeing what kinds of fictional Zubats her master was going to face. Maya meanwhile, grimaced as the fuzzball casted Slow on her party. Trying to slow me down, are ya? After selecting the next round of commands, the fuzzball smothered the hero for 4 damage. The mage then countered with a smack from his weapon, felling the fuzzball.

"Pix!" Raye cheered.

"Oh, we have plenty more bad guys to fight, trust me..." Maya replied as she guided the hero down the passageway and into the large open room. Before she could advance any farther, the scene swirled into battle; this time pitting her against two imps. Too easy... she smiled, commanding the mage to cast Heat and the hero to attack.

"Destruction of nature, gather in flame! Heat!" the mage called, sending a fireball at one imp, defeating it. The hero swiped at the other imp, but it wasn't enough to defeat it. The imp fired some energy bolts at the mage for 3 damage, but thankfully no paralysis.

That was close... Maya sighed as she selected the next round of commands. The imp next tried firing energy bolts at the hero, but he only took 3 damage without paralysis. The mage then smacked the imp with his weapon to defeat it.

Once back on the world map, Maya guided the hero through the crystal studded room until they came to what looked like a mine shaft, with a Sandshrew guarding the way forward. "Well! You must be brave to come strolling up to me like that!" it taunted. "A little girl in cleric's robes came passing this way before, but when she saw me, she turned tail and ran!"

And I'll have to fight you? Maya thought.

"The point is, if you want to go through here, you'll have to prove your worth." the Sandshrew continued. "So are you brave enough to challenge me?" A choice dialogue appeared on the right side on the screen.

Bring it on, shorty! Maya silently taunted as she selected "YES".

The Sandshrew was surprised. "Honest? You mean it? You must be a great fighter!"

Believe it, short stuff. Maya silently shot back.

After a brief pause, the Sandshrew recosidered its challenge. "As a sign of your bravery, I'm gonna let you through!" It walked over to the left side of the entrance, clearing a path. "There you go--be careful on your way, brave one!"

Maya was dumbfounded. I got gypped! You owe me a fight, buster! she seethed as she guided the hero over to the Sandshrew.

"Do you think I'm a coward?" the Sandshrew asked. "I'll have you know I am far from the sort! Want to have a friendly match?"

You bet I do! Maya thought as she selected "YES" from the choice box.

"It's decided! We fight!" the Sandshrew called, making the scene swirl into battle.

Maya snickered as the Sandshrew aimed at the mage, but missed. Missed me!

"Scatter your chilly sharp blades! Ice!" the mage commanded, making a round of icicles skewer the Sandshrew for major damage. The hero followed up with an attack, but the Sandshrew was still standing. After the mage started the next round attacking for a little damage, the Sandshrew tried to attack again, but missed. The hero delievered the final blow soon after, sending the Sandshrew flying to the ground, dazed.

"Vulpix vul?" Raye asked.

"Yes, I'm happy now that I got my fight." Maya replied as she led the hero down the next passage and hung a right at the intersection. No sooner had she started down the right route was she ambushed by a pair of Zubats and two fireballs. An Ice spell from the mage dispatched them all, freeing Maya to head to the third floor. She noticed a waterfall in a blue tinged room in the distance, so she opted to go there. Before she could get on the bridge leading up to it, she encountered three more moles, which were easily dispatched with normal attacks. A pair of imps greeted her on the bridge some minutes later, but they too fell to normal attacks.

A save point at the end of the bridge told her one thing: her first boss fight was just ahead...

To Be Continued....

Last edited:
    Back