• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Roleplayers Daily Chit-Chat Thread (◕‿◕✿)

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
I've seen it a couple times now on various sites, and every time it's just as ridiculous:

GMs requesting that members who sign up with a character change the gender to fit some kind of ratio, when it has absolutely no bearing on the story or isn't driven by gender-inclined lore.

"We have 7 guys and 2 girls in this modern city sandbox RP, so can you change John into a girl?" The implication being, if user Sarah doesn't change her character John into Jane, GM Sally won't accept the character.

Why not just let people sign up with the character they want and accept them on the merit of their character? That's something I don't understand the need to dictate, of all things.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
YAAAS, JAUNT. YAAAAS

"Even gender ratio" rules can seriously suck it. I hate them. I've joined roleplays on different sites that require two characters per member, a boy and a girl. I think it's for shipping reasons, in most cases, but even then most characters nowadays are bi anyway so it doesn't even matter.

Speaking of "bi", if we're suddenly on the subject of appalling roleplay requirements, I hate character applications that include sexuality. I just don't like applying those to my characters and don't feel it necessary, in most cases.

Jauntier

Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
YAAAS, JAUNT. YAAAAS

Well, it's all in context, which is where it can be excused. If I had a role-play that was straight up romance, I can see the "we need more boys, please help!" issue, but that can be remedied by having your sign up roster distinctly sectioned off by sex ("We have ten slots, 5 boys and 5 girls, sign up!"). But not something like a, what, like a typical tween journey role-play, off the top of my head.

Same goes for sexuality, but I'll be frank here, that's a serious turn off for me (har har har), because the GM's intention is very blatant in adding that tidbit--which is, as you said, the hope for coupling. I don't expect to see "sexuality" as a mandatory fill-out unless I'm in an adult romance role-play where the objectives are based around hooking up.

I haven't seen the sexuality thing happen here, though, as far as my tenure is concerned.

Years
Along the lines of roleplays that make it a little longer than others, I've been a part of a roleplay that finished. Albeit it took two years-ish. And it wasn't a Pokemon journey roleplay. It was Pokemon Odyssey: A New Beginning.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Pokemon Odyssey's sequel is still going on, correct? It's been up for a while.

Even in a romantic setting, "sexuality" just isn't something I associate with myself or my characters. I'd rather describe a relationship as straight or gay than a person. Our preferences are ever-changing, after all.

Of course I imagine certain characters as being more partial towards one side than another but I'd hate having to define that.

Jauntier

Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
Of course I imagine certain characters as being more partial towards one side than another but I'd hate having to define that.

Is it because you're giving credence to a thought or aspect you'd rather have the choice to develop or explore in the story, as opposed to a nominally defining trait from the start?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Along the lines of roleplays that make it a little longer than others, I've been a part of a roleplay that finished. Albeit it took two years-ish. And it wasn't a Pokemon journey roleplay. It was Pokemon Odyssey: A New Beginning.
I remember reading the ending to the first Odyssey and thinking it was heartfelt, without even having been part of the RP <3

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Is it because you're giving credence to a thought or aspect you'd rather have the choice to develop or explore in the story, as opposed to a nominally defining trait from the start?

IS THIS A RHETORICAL QUESTION, JAUNT?

But, basically, yeah. And that sort of applies to how I'd rather tackle history sections too. For some characters, I want to use a bit of information as prior knowledge, in a sense, but most of the time I'd like to develop background as I go along.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
HI I'm back from my leave now. How's everbody's RPing going?

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
I haven't really rped before. I kind of wanna try it out. How would I start here?

You've got a lot of options!

PC's roleplaying section is divided into Out-of-Character (OOC) and In-Character (IC) forums.

The OOC forums are where most discussions take place (although some go to Skype or Discord), and it's where you post character sheets and other important out-of-character information. Every RP has different requirements and character sheets to use. Feel free to look through any of them that have been active in the past month, and you might find something you like.

For example, Titans: Reborn is an original superhero RP by the Doofiest of All, while Trials of Olympus is based on the Percy Jackson series. Since this is a Pokémon forum, there are also plenty of Pokémon RPs.

The IC forums are where all the actual content gets posted. The absolute minimum for IC posts is 100 words, but most people make posts a good bit larger. Don't be deterred by hilariously massive posts, as those are often "joint posts"—a single post made by multiple people.

I recommend checking out the Help Thread to get a bit of an idea of how creating and using a character works. It also lists some terms that are generally used derogatorily. A chunk of guides are listed in the thread, too.

At its base, you're going to be writing for one character in a multiplayer story. You're responsible for your character's actions, thoughts and perspective, like you're playing Fallout or The Elder Scrolls in writing form.

You might screw up a bit, you might need to remake parts of your characters before the GM accepts them (for reasons like continuity, balance, etc.), but chances are you'll make a few friends doing it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Thanks for all the info. Still seems a bit confusing to me. So I think the first thing I should do is make a character.
Hi! Welcome c: The first thing to do is probably to check out the Roleplay Rules. How to find your way around the forums should be explained there, hopefully easily enough.

We usually make new characters for every RP we join (every thread is a RP in "Roleplay Casting" and "Roleplay Stage"), so people usually pick a RP to join first and create their character based on what they read there. Have a look in Roleplay Casting, I would suggest, and see if you find RPs that claim to have spots open. Ask the GM (usually the person who posted the thread) if you're unsure about a RP you find interesting - perhaps they'll let you in!

Once you're in a RP, I'm sure your fellow players will be happy to let you get into the swing of things gradually. It's a lot of fun when you get a good story going c:

Back