• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Roller Skating

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Although this isn't much talked-about, in Pokémon X and Y, we got ourselves a new nifty little feature known as roller-skates. They are sort of hard to control for some people, but they still allow us to travel faster from place to place, as well as give us the chance to perform fun tricks and whatnot.

So, tell us; what are your opinions on them? Do you like roller-skating, or dislike? If it's latter, then why so, and if it were up to you, what would you have it replaced with?

Years
  • I loved the roller skates, it was a cool way to get around and it was essential to use to get to certain hidden items that were blocked by a grind rail. Unlike most players I never usually found them hard to control.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Foremost, I'm really glad that they didn't replace the bike with them, as a friend and I had feared. Although I still firmly believe that running shouldn't have been limited to the D-Pad, and that there should have been an off-switch. I personally only used them when I'm in Lumiose. (This game gave me a bad habit of using the D-Pad in other games to walk, only for it to fail!)

I thought they were a good idea, overall. :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I liked the roller skates. It's nice to have them when you wanna go fast but don't exactly need the speed of the bike either. I dunno why some people say they're hard to control though, seems pretty smooth and easy enough to me. I do wish that there was more places to do things with them though. I think there was all of like 3 places in Kalos to rail grind on, nor were there a lot of places to do flips and such at.

Years
  • I thought the roller skates were awesome. They gave a nice way to move faster that, though wasn't as fast as the bike, was great fun to control, and I like the trick system implemented through it.

Lauren92

#pokemonforlife
    Years
  • I felt like they weren't precise enough for me to use for tight maneuvers on my 3DS XL... Maybe I am just no good at working them, I don't know lol. I like the feature overall though. You can never complain about more ways to move faster!

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • I love them. In recent years, I'd stopped using the bike except for egg hatching, because I prefer having other items registered to Y, and having multiple items registered feels kind of clunky.

Anyway, having a faster method of transportation that doesn't need to be registered is the best. A+ game design.

FlamingRage

Can you feel my rage?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    If you could remove them, I wouldn't hate them near as much. I might even like them then. Really I'm just bitter because of how many times they've cut my shiny chains when I accidentally reach for the circle pad instead of the directional pad.

Years
  • Meh, I'm 50-50 on roller skates. I like them for their speed, but I like bicycles for their handling. I still use roller skates a lot, though.

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • They were cool at first, but got pretty annoying. I mean, using the d-pad to walk normally felt unnatural, and I would've rather had an option to disable them completely.

Years
  • I loved the addition of roller skating, though wish that it was optional to take on and off just like the bicycle. There are plenty of times where I'd rather be using the analog stick to run around like you can inside buildings, but forget and end up switching to the D-pad instead. I did like that you could do tricks with them though- even if most of them (like the flips off of ledges) were mostly useless throughout the course of the game.

IceyGamer

Nothing but Ice in my veins
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2014
    They're cool but I still like my bike more. The tricks you can do on them are a +1 though.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I love the roller skates and prefer them over having running shoes back again. I stopped using them for the most part after I got my bike though I only use them if I am zipping across a street and it is pointless to mount my bike.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Roller Skates were fun to use in short bursts, meaning to get from point A to B without having to use a bike. I just wish that, like the majority of the people here, you could remove them at will. I wanted to make use of the full range of movement with walking with the circle pad, but all I can do with that is skate about. Still, it's quick, easy and you can pull off some sweet tricks. :3

Years
  • I never really had an issue with the roller skates (although it was sometimes a bit difficult in Lumiose, but I think that was more to do with the weird angle change than the skates themselves). I never really got a hang of the tricks though? And I'm not sure I remember these rails to grind on? Where were those!? o:

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I was a fan from get-go. Although roller-skates were hard to control (which resulted in me being frustrated and whatnot), it was still a nice, new experience. I've always been wanting to see such a thing make it into Pokémon games (have even implemented a feature like this in one of my past ROM hacks, just to see how things are), and now that it's finally here, it was more or less a dream come true.

Though, one thing I wish they hadn't done is making its controls more complex. If these skates were easier to control, I'm sure we all would have appreciated them more.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I like rollerskating, that makes navigating a city and route fun than it was before, when I used to walk around or running. And for some reason I prefer this over using a bike a lot when strolling in Kalos region nowadays.

Years
  • I don't like how they are controlled. It would be a fun thing to replace the bike. I'd like to see a few more options like skate board, the rollerkates of a bike, instead of just the bike. As an early game alternative for quick movement it was ok. I still use my running shoes a lot more!

Back