• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Rom Hack crashing when going through connection.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    Hey, so I have been working on a rom hack and I finished some maps for it. I want to test out the maps, so I added all the warps and connection. However when I do get on the rom hack through VBA, I can move around freely and use warps. However if I try to go to Route 1, my game will glitch and freeze up. It freezes right on the tile that connects Route 1 to the first town. It isn't a warp connecting them, but a connection through A-Map. I tried starting in another town and changing connections, but the problem still persists. Any idea why?

Years
  • How do you change the connections? I know that there are two sets of connections between two maps, one for each map. That could be a part of it. Another thing could be a level script in the way, and I've heard of changing tilesets causing bugs.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    How do you change the connections? I know that there are two sets of connections between two maps, one for each map. That could be a part of it. Another thing could be a level script in the way, and I've heard of changing tilesets causing bugs.

I narrowed it down to a problem with Route 1, any warp their also freezes up. I don't know what could be causing it as all i removed all person events, and scripts using A-Map. Could their be a hidden script that A-Map can't remove that requires a different way to remove. I haven't caught a pokemon yet, could that be a problem?

Years
  • Having a Pokémon or not should have nothing to do with a map freezing, that only matters if you're battling(in which case you'd get ???????? and you'd faint immediately).
    Level scripts have to do with the header, I'd suggest making a backup, going to that tab in A-Map in the backup, and delete the level scripts. I'd also suggest reading a tutorial on level scripts, there's one here. If you have any questions on them, just post here. Then you can decide which one was breaking it, and only delete/fix that one.

It could also be due to map corruption or your map footer not existing(that's happened before), but you should be getting massive errors when trying to save if you have those errors on your map(those aren't directly related to connections).

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    Having a Pokémon or not should have nothing to do with a map freezing, that only matters if you're battling(in which case you'd get ???????? and you'd faint immediately).
    Level scripts have to do with the header, I'd suggest making a backup, going to that tab in A-Map in the backup, and delete the level scripts. I'd also suggest reading a tutorial on level scripts, there's one here. If you have any questions on them, just post here. Then you can decide which one was breaking it, and only delete/fix that one.

It could also be due to map corruption or your map footer not existing(that's happened before), but you should be getting massive errors when trying to save if you have those errors on your map(those aren't directly related to connections).

I went to where you get the level scripts, and my map has no level scripts whatsoever. What I don't get is that since I can see the route fine and connected up when I'm in the town so it is being recognized as a map. Also it is in the correct spot so I did my connection right, the only problem is that once I get on the last tile of the town the one right before Route 1, the game will freeze. Their are no level scripts, and I did not change any of the header or footers. I have only applied EC's tilepatch and Mrdollsteak. I don't know what would be causing the problem.

Years
  • I went to where you get the level scripts, and my map has no level scripts whatsoever. What I don't get is that since I can see the route fine and connected up when I'm in the town so it is being recognized as a map. Also it is in the correct spot so I did my connection right, the only problem is that once I get on the last tile of the town the one right before Route 1, the game will freeze. Their are no level scripts, and I did not change any of the header or footers. I have only applied EC's tilepatch and Mrdollsteak. I don't know what would be causing the problem.
    Like I said, there are two sets of connections. Check both the starting town's AND Route 1's.
    There could also be a problem with the map footer. Did you save the map in either of them? If you're getting errors from A-Map when you save, that'll be your clue.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    Like I said, there are two sets of connections. Check both the starting town's AND Route 1's.
    There could also be a problem with the map footer. Did you save the map in either of them? If you're getting errors from A-Map when you save, that'll be your clue.

No, it isn't the level scripts causing the problem. However, one thing I did remember is that I inserted the map and replaced Route 1's map. Another person sent me the file so I opened it up and clicked replace map and put in the bank and map number of Route 1. Could that be causing this problem?

Years
  • No, it isn't the level scripts causing the problem. However, one thing I did remember is that I inserted the map and replaced Route 1's map. Another person sent me the file so I opened it up and clicked replace map and put in the bank and map number of Route 1. Could that be causing this problem?
    Honestly, yes. Inserting is pretty buggy for A-Map. You can either copy the hex data from the .map file and then paste it into your ROM and fix all the pointers manually, or you can reinsert the data with A-Map. However, we can't be sure unless you tell us the errors you're getting in A-Map, if any.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    Honestly, yes. Inserting is pretty buggy for A-Map. You can either copy the hex data from the .map file and then paste it into your ROM and fix all the pointers manually, or you can reinsert the data with A-Map. However, we can't be sure unless you tell us the errors you're getting in A-Map, if any.

I fixed that problem, and everything was going good for a day, but I ran into another problem. None of my stuff in A-Map was saving properly. The changes I made to the warp didn't change in the rom, however when I did open them up in Advanced Map the changes were their. For some reason they did not change when I opened the rom, but only in A-Map. I also noticed one of my background for a town was wrong, so I had to extend the background so it wasn't visible. This was the end product. https://gyazo.com/afc36561e9b54cd7d0607dc1a7e10164.

Back