• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hack Development Environment

aljam66

Sweepin' ain't easy
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2021
    All right hackers, what's your current rom hacking set-up / workflow environment? Is linux viable for a rom hacking environment via WINE? What are the major tools these days that give you the greatest extensibility?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    depends on what type of hack you're doing.
    most things here are gba hacks, or gbc hacks, but there are some nds stuff I think.

and further whether you're doing a binary hack, or making a decomp project.

They require different tools.
    if you're in binary then you need to use the programs made for the job, i.e advance map, xtreme script editor, etc.

if you're doing decomp then its just about having an app that'll let you open and edit code, and knowing the programming language.

I'm guessing using decomp is more in line with your question though, as its not so dependent on a certain OS.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
    Decomp seems interesting. I'm surprised hacking has come along so much over the span of the past several years. I got devkitpro now. I just need a good tilemap editor to get the job done.

Back