• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • How long do you hack when you're hacking?

Right now? I can't hold it for more than a few minutes without some caffeine and sleep. Blame it on my ADD, baby.

I've been talking about this a good bit in #rhm, but my ADHD (rendered ADD thanks to atomoxetine) has been keeping me from being anywhere near as productive as I could be with my projects. It's really awful when you're just sitting there looking at a strtol() segment in your code, you know exactly what you need to do for a moment and then your mind's all like 'aahhhh' and you can't think through it at all. >_>

I really can't wait to get my Adderall, it's going to help a tonne. When I was younger I had it, and I could easily bulldoze through BASIC for 8 hours straight with two bathroom breaks and nothing but Sprite and last night's sleep. I wanna do that again, but with C, Python, and ROM hacking. ^^

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    How long do you hack when you're hacking?

Right now? I can't hold it for more than a few minutes without some caffeine and sleep. Blame it on my ADD, baby.

I've been talking about this a good bit in #rhm, but my ADHD (rendered ADD thanks to atomoxetine) has been keeping me from being anywhere near as productive as I could be with my projects. It's really awful when you're just sitting there looking at a strtol() segment in your code, you know exactly what you need to do for a moment and then your mind's all like 'aahhhh' and you can't think through it at all. >_>

I really can't wait to get my Adderall, it's going to help a tonne. When I was younger I had it, and I could easily bulldoze through BASIC for 8 hours straight with two bathroom breaks and nothing but Sprite and last night's sleep. I wanna do that again, but with C, Python, and ROM hacking. ^^

I've got ADD, too! Though I've been on Adderall for years now. :B Be sure to take it AFTER you eat breakfast. Also, make sure you "take a day off" from it every once in a while. @3@; I did that recently, and it was like someone put cheesecloth all over my brain.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    So I'm not really sure where to post this but I decided to post it here because it may be something worth being discussed. So anyway, I received this email just now...
    MediaFire said:
    Dear MediaFire User:
    MediaFire has received notification under the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") that your usage of a file is allegedly infringing on the file creator's copyright protection.

The file named PKMN RD-BT - Public Beta 1 (09-19-14) v1.2.rar is identified by the key (wk1s5l9dojk9sdm).

As a result of this notice, pursuant to Section 512(c)(1)(C) of the DMCA, we have suspended access to the file.

The reason for suspension was:
    - Copyright Infringement property of Nintendo.

Information about the party that filed the report:

Company Name:
    Nintendo of America Inc.
    Contact Address: 4600 150th Avenue N.E., Redmond, WA 98052
    Contact Name: Jason Allen
    Contact Phone:
    Contact Email: [email protected]
    Copyright infringement violates MediaFire's Terms of Service. MediaFire accounts that experience multiple incidents of alleged copyright infringement without viable counterclaims may be terminated.
    I'm not really sure what to do with this. I've received a similar notification on YouTube but I argued that Nintendo allows their fans to make any fan-made thingies as long as we don't make money out of it. And it worked and they let me continue on YouTube. But I forgot how I worded it since it's been a long time ago and now, I'm kinda sad to receive this email. :(

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Thoughts?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • So I'm not really sure where to post this but I decided to post it here because it may be something worth being discussed. So anyway, I received this email just now...

I'm not really sure what to do with this. I've received a similar notification on YouTube but I argued that Nintendo allows their fans to make any fan-made thingies as long as we don't make money out of it. And it worked and they let me continue on YouTube. But I forgot how I worded it since it's been a long time ago and now, I'm kinda sad to receive this email. :(

Seeing that it wasn't just Mediafire's decision, I'd say that hosting that anywhere would yield the same trouble as it did on Mediafire. Not exactly sure what you could do about it at this point in time really. And it'd be weird to not have a download link for a while too. Hosting it on a website or something would probably be "breaking the law" also, since you went from one place to another with the same file. Dunno, it'd have to be discussed further.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'm not really sure what to do with this. I've received a similar notification on YouTube but I argued that Nintendo allows their fans to make any fan-made thingies as long as we don't make money out of it. And it worked and they let me continue on YouTube. But I forgot how I worded it since it's been a long time ago and now, I'm kinda sad to receive this email. :(

Well, there are a few things I would suggest. First, if you want to reupload it, rename the file and don't put Pokemon (or similar abbreviations) in the name. For added safety, put the archive inside another archive- though that may be a bit excessive.

Second, and I recommend this along with the first, use MEGA instead. Apart from that being less likely to happen there, it's faster and more convenient, plus you don't have to deal with captchas.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • So I'm not really sure where to post this but I decided to post it here because it may be something worth being discussed. So anyway, I received this email just now...

Because Mediafire has a reputation to uphold, and because it's been proven that the government will happily dice up a file host like they did with MegaUpload, it stands to reason they'd easily bend over for copyright claims as long as they're from anyone significant. Host it on a better file host, if that doesn't work host it yourself, if that doesn't work place it on PC. And if PC gets a DMCA, I don't know if you have any options in the clearnet lol. That does suck though.

If I remember correctly, Pokémon Dragonstone's files were disabled at one point for the same reason lol. Dunno how I fixed that, but yeah. Avoid using names or likenesses as much as possible, it's enough that the hack itself has it all over it.

In reality, the truth is you're distributing a patch which solely records the changes of another file that isn't on MediaFire. Legally speaking GameFreak owns the original ROM, not those changes, so it's not really copyright infringement. I dunno, take it to court. Eheheh

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey everyone, I joined the PokeCommunity recently hoping to meet people who also like Pokemon roms and editing them. I've been working on a game for a while and I want to share it with people and hopefully get some help from people who would like to collaborate, artists, coders and even playtesters are all welcome, feedback would be much appreciated.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8836129#post8836129

Years
  • Hiya PC~

I'm relatively new to this community, so I suppose I'll be frank. What's the current status on the popularity or activity of Pokemon ROM Hacking? I've been a lurker for some time now and I've been noticing that there is a seemingly diminishing quantity of participants in the community. When I say participants, I mean PC ROM hackers in general. My understanding is that, back in the day, PC ROM hacking was much more popular than it is today. Maybe this is because of plain aging of the series? What other reasons could cause to this? In addition, where do y'all see PC ROM hacking's future?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Hiya PC~

I'm relatively new to this community, so I suppose I'll be frank. What's the current status on the popularity or activity of Pokemon ROM Hacking? I've been a lurker for some time now and I've been noticing that there is a seemingly diminishing quantity of participants in the community. When I say participants, I mean PC ROM hackers in general. My understanding is that, back in the day, PC ROM hacking was much more popular than it is today. Maybe this is because of plain aging of the series? What other reasons could cause to this? In addition, where do y'all see PC ROM hacking's future?

Hmm, I wouldn't say its diminished too much. Of course, a lot of well-known hackers and their hacks are gone, but there are always plenty of people joining up to take part in ROM hacking here.

I would say, if anything, that there's a lack of new tutorials coming in (mostly because if one works people stick with it, I guess) but otherwise our R&D subforum seems to be more active than what I remember 3/4 years ago.

Wobb

Wynaut
    Years
  • How should I get more people to help with my hack? I've tried the Recruitment & Team Building Thread, but I only have one person...

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • How should I get more people to help with my hack? I've tried the Recruitment & Team Building Thread, but I only have one person...

Become a jack-of-all-trades with your hacking skillset and you won't need a team. Most hackers work primarily alone, only bringing others in on their project when they need brief and specific help with something.

If you've exhausted the Team Building Thread, you may have to branch out to other hacking communities to recruit more people. The best way to get your hack off the ground is to do everything you can possibly do by yourself (to get a proof of concept at least), learning as you go, and your work will naturally attract more people to help you if you need it.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
    Years
  • I have a question. I used to hack back in 2009 when I had a windows computer, although now I have a mac so it's very limited to what I can do with the games. Is there anyway or anything I can use to hack again? I usually just hack for fun.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I have a question. I used to hack back in 2009 when I had a windows computer, although now I have a mac so it's very limited to what I can do with the games. Is there anyway or anything I can use to hack again? I usually just hack for fun.

Not really right now. A lot of things are in being developed, but not a lot actually works yet. You could look into Red Alien and Blue Spider for some python tools, though.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I have a question. I used to hack back in 2009 when I had a windows computer, although now I have a mac so it's very limited to what I can do with the games. Is there anyway or anything I can use to hack again? I usually just hack for fun.

There are a couple of tools that will work for Mac. Many tools that don't can be run in WINE, if you really need a tool and that doesn't work, get a VM or dualboot with Windows.

Back