• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
My finals are almost over and as such I really want to program some rom hacking tools, and "reasonable" suggestions? (If a tutorial is already out- double props since all I would need to do is implementation)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
That's true, Satoshi!
And people like your post more...
Onion+Display+Emoticon.jpg

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
That's true, Satoshi!

I've been thinking about getting back into hacking lately. With this big boon in activity, and the beginner's forum resurfacing, it kind of makes me want to get back into it.

I don't think mapping would be a problem, but anything that involved key knowledge or specifics would take a while to trigger :( simple scripting would probably be fine though.

The thing is, every time I come back I seem to be more ambitious - and when your skill level doesn't reflect what you're aiming for it can get a bit annoying and frustrating ;-;.

Give it a few weeks and I might bite the bullet though :< is anyone else currently -off- hacking?

I am as well lel.

Also thinking about going back I got my Rom Base back and redownloaded some of the tools but I still haven't got around it :p fek mapping

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
Years
I am as well lel.

Also thinking about going back I got my Rom Base back and redownloaded some of the tools but I still haven't got around it :p fek mapping

I started hacking again after 4 years - I forgot how much work I had to do, lol. Thankfully, it was "still in my blood" and I re-learned as much as I could remember.

Also, what are your guys' opinions on the pokemon center and mart to be merged together ? Because I'm currently hacking and merging these two, thus getting a free tileset to use it as I please. So, I kinda see it a technical advantage with the cost of a visual piece in a city.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I actually kinda hate that. The more buildings the better... taking away one of the staple buildings that's in every town only makes them seem smaller and more boring. =/

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I actually kinda hate that. The more buildings the better... taking away one of the staple buildings that's in every town only makes them seem smaller and more boring. =/
But it does make them more convenient, and what's a town without a convenient store /pun.

But really, there's always something that can make up for that space. Really, I think that whether a mart exists in a town should vary, for the sake of variety. Smaller, more quaint towns should have them whereas larger towns should have them included in centers.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I don't mind the merging of the two building too much, to be honest, as long as the town has the charm to pull it off it's all good!

I caved and started a hack someone check my brain

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I don't really like how the some Pokemon Centers and Marts are merged into one. As QuilavaKing mentioned earlier, it makes most towns seem a bit small or less exciting. Although, this sometimes isn't the case, as long as there are plenty of other important events in the town. :)

Btw, hello new discussion thread~ <3

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I hate that so much. Means you also have to come up with another building in the town/city to replace the Poké Mart.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I prefer to keep them separate as in a lot of my hacks "legit" merchandise is sold through the marts and other vendors (junk merchants, berry ladies, etc) are in the Pokémon Centers and sell at a discount. It creates a nice balance, too; not to mention I sometimes put a TV in the PokéCenter and have people gather 'round it. :3

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I'm okay with both options. I'm currently using the default Fire Red separate center and mart, I think they look fine and add more variety to the maps. I feel the Pokémon Center tile wouldn't fit to be a merged center/mart. However, if I had a decent big center tile I might consider merging them both into one.

I really liked how Naranja used one of Kyledove's Pokémon Center tiles and instead of a mart used an outdoor market stall.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Seperate Pokemon Centres and Mart are better,:) unless you really want to merge it, you can make it like the one in Indigo Plateau in FR/LG ;).

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I really liked how Naranja used one of Kyledove's Pokémon Center tiles and instead of a mart used an outdoor market stall.

There are a few different hack out there that just use the outdoor market stall, and yes, I agree when you suggest that it looks nice. Not a huge change, not a merge, just something unique.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Yeah, I think a variety of different types of marts would be nice. Some in outside stalls, some large department stores, some regular marts, some that look more like regular buildings. It feels less videogamey that way.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
That is true. GameFreak has a very formulaic way of designing maps that, because of how consistent certain buildings are in each town, even across regions, make them feel less realistic.

I love to see when mappers give personality to a certain area by making a Pokemart feel unique to that town or fit the area. I mean, it makes more sense to see a small independent stall in a village than an ultra-modern convenience store with sliding doors, doesn't it? The variety not only spices up the areas but also makes them feel more realistic, which really makes the town-to-town travel a little exciting and the towns themselves more realistic.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I definitely agree with you on that; if they could have separate tilesets for each town and city, it shouldn't be too hard to have some based off Pokémon Centers and Marts and whatnot. They could keep their primary colors the way they are (which would respectively be red and blue, in this case), but would've been nice if they were shaped a little differently.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
I am planning for Gym Puzzles in my Hack like HG/SS, but its looking difficult, maybe not possible.

Back