• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
I haven't attempted to emulate a DS game in a while, but apparently DS emulation is getting better compared to what I remember (i.e. could really only just be called functional). Someone I know LP'ed Lock's Quest using a DS emulator with only a minimum of bugginess.

I think I'm going to stick to futzing around with third gen, for the time being. (I still need to look into a few things, though.)

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I haven't attempted to emulate a DS game in a while, but apparently DS emulation is getting better compared to what I remember (i.e. could really only just be called functional). Someone I know LP'ed Lock's Quest using a DS emulator with only a minimum of bugginess.

I think I'm going to stick to futzing around with third gen, for the time being. (I still need to look into a few things, though.)

I can play DS games pretty smooth now unlike last year DS Emulation has come a long way I'd say.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
It's not a new thing, really. DS emulation's been capable for at least 5 years. I remember previewing Platinum prior to its release in English and it working perfectly, as well as spending HOURS in the early Rune Factory games (1 and 2 specifically).

So it's not a matter of emulation getting better, because it's been great for years. Heck, I'd say that emulation isn't apart of the problem at all.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
If you hack for yourself how can you evaluate the quality?
I didn't say it was hacking for yourself. Hacking is for fun and should remain that way, quality feedback from other people is vital. What I said was you shouldn't hack for popularity.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I didn't say it was hacking for yourself. Hacking is for fun and should remain that way, quality feedback from other people is vital. What I said was you shouldn't hack for popularity.
Where did I say anything about popularity?
Fans was just a different way to describe "people who play the hack" just because it was shorter.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Okay, enough of the popularity stuff, guys...

I have a question that I thought would be decent discussion. Recently, a lot of hacks have shown numerous amounts of animated tiles (grass, trees, underwater movement, other shrubbery, etc). Does anyone else think all of this animation is a bit too much and can end up decreasing the visual appeal in a hack or do the animations, no matter how many, only create positive emotions on the player?

I believe there can really only be so much going on on the screen at a time, or else things just get too... dizzy? movementy? You get the idea.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Well, really, Pokemon is pretty simplistic when it comes to animation. If you play other prominent RPGs, you'll see that animation is pretty commonplace, even for sprites (in fact, I actually consider the lack of animation on sprites something of a disappointment, but it's corrected in Gen5, to some extent).

In terms of tiles, 3rd gen is pretty static, and I think that animation makes the world feel more alive.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Well, really, Pokemon is pretty simplistic when it comes to animation. If you play other prominent RPGs, you'll see that animation is pretty commonplace, even for sprites (in fact, I actually consider the lack of animation on sprites something of a disappointment, but it's corrected in Gen5, to some extent).

What do you mean by 5th gen corrected it? I don't remember any animation in the sprites in Unova, so a specific example would be nice. :)

In terms of tiles, 3rd gen is pretty static, and I think that animation makes the world feel more alive.

I agree with this.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
What do you mean by 5th gen corrected it? I don't remember any animation in the sprites in Unova, so a specific example would be nice. :)
In general. While there wasn't too as much animation as I would have liked, there are many instances throughout the story that you can see characters move in ways where, if it had been any of the previous games, they just would have used the movement animation. I shouldn't say "corrected" specifically, but there is more animation in that one than in previous generations, IIRC. Not to say they still aren't static. There are no emotion-based animations and non-standard ones are still pretty difficult to come by.

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Yeah, for sure, BW and B2W2 were just generally a bit more lively than the near-static third generation, but they were also operating on a more powerful system. That said, of course, the GBA is far from incapable and if you can make your animations look good -- and especially look good together -- go for it.

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
What do you guys think about the type effectiveness thing being changed in hacks? Like making water weak to posion and stuff like that? Do you like that or does it ruin it for you, or are you indifferent to it?

Years
I tend not to like it unless it's just updating the mechanics to what they are in Gen 6 (i.e. steel not resisting dark, steel not resisting ghost, etc.). If there's a thematic reason it's okay, but unless I'm beaten over the head with the fact that it's changed in-game I'll likely forget and just get annoyed, which is really just unideal.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I think for type advantages to change there would have to be a really significant reason ><. Most of the current ones make perfect sense anyway.

I suppose, if you're adding a new type, you might have to tweak other types advantages for balance - but otherwise I prefer to leave it alone.

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Personally, I would rather they stuck to an existing type chart. Changing from that will just throw me off and make me not like the game.

Back