• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • That and FireRed has over 511 Safe-non-temporary flags to use as it is (without the hack).
    If you're building on top of the original FireRed canon, maybe not?

Yeah, it is lazy. I don't have time or patience to hack something that's not my preferred base. Ruby is like Emerald with less features and more bugs. Anyways, I'll address your points now.
    No one told you to. O_o

You're your own person lol, this isn't work. Everyone does what they want to an extent.

There is no such thing as "wasted free space".
    All those nops in Emerald that were written over for years?

File Sizes for the GBA are static sized because the cart size is 32MB max. When dumping the ROM, the dumpers trim the file size down to just the amount used (for Pokemon games that size is 16MB). If your argument is that the free space appended to the end of the file isn't present in Ruby while it is for other bases, then that just means you have less free space to hack the ROM with and add features to it.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Though ROM expansion is very easy these days with tools existing to do the process for you. However, this should be testament to show you how much more efficient Emerald is than Ruby if Emerald has more features and a smaller base file size.
    I don't use Emerald, so I really don't care about that.

What? Ruby is in no way "easier" to hack than the other bases. If anything, it's harder and less fruitful.
    How fruitful a hack is far from how "technically innovative" it is, lol. There's good writing, good graphics work, how the hack meshes together, then there's "features" made with assembly. It's one of many gears to be honest.

Fire Red is the easiest to hack out of all the bases, period.
    I wouldn't be hacking Ruby without a reason to.

Other more popular bases are starting to require expansion support because they're so far ahead of R/S that all the wonderful hacks can't possibly be supported with the original file sizes.
    Emerald is only one base.

Anyways, this whole issue with expansion dis-compatibility was caused by poor programming practice in general by tool writers. However, you can't blame those who are working for free, and three years ago, probably couldn't imagine we'd have this many new things!
    We're getting around to fixing mistakes like that. But we're not there yet, are we? We have a ways to go, and until we get there "expanded ROM support" is still relevant.

You're partially right here. Everyone has their preferences, my favourite ROM is FireRed. It's a nice coincidence that FireRed is pretty much the awesomest base ever. In general, hack what you want, but if you're hacking a low resource ROM, then I will tell you what the disadvantages are and the better options. From there it's your choice on whether or not you prefer quality over a sense of nostalgic likeness or whatever. No one will ridicule you for hacking what you want, we're all doing this as a hobby :)
    Don't kid yourself.

The elitism is well justified. This is something you need to understand.
    I'm sorry, you don't justify elitism. Shoving your opinion into everyone's faces and acting like it somehow holds any more water is just ignorant. FireRed and Emerald are being given technical advantages that could have honestly been bestowed onto Ruby but weren't, and whether those technical advantages are the bee's knees are your opinion - and you should know something about opinions: they all weigh the same. People are going to do what they want anyway, and the best thing you can do is hold what you have as preferences the same as what everyone else has, and not put them on a gilded pedestal like everyone needs to know about it. FireRed is more researched, and more developed for. That is a fact. It isn't by some magical virtue that that is the case, though! A large part of it was just luck. I'm honestly hacking Ruby because Nintendo's graphics are nicer in Hoenn, and because I'm building on top of their canon so I have to leave all of their flags alone. I don't have to expand my ROM and worry about tool incompatibility. That's it. It's not so complicated.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Edit:
    I was wondering how many people would be interested in a weekly ASM workshop kind of thing? I want to take on people who are knowledgeable of scripting (atleast to a decent degree) and know how to basically do hex edits such as repointing tables, know what a pointer is, things like that.
    If you're interested in something like this, please voice your interest here!

Pre-edit. My replies to some argument that probably never needed to happen:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I'd love to see something like that. On what medium would you orchestrate it, though?

Well, it's ASM, so the language is the same for each ROM base. Only pointers and such would be changing. I'll consider finding pointers for other bases if I have time. Right now, I plan to use FireRed because most of the pointers I have memorized (I'm pretty nerdy).

Videos would be embedded into posts from youtube and such.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Well, it's ASM, so the language is the same for each ROM base. Only pointers and such would be changing. I'll consider finding pointers for other bases if I have time. Right now, I plan to use FireRed because most of the pointers I have memorized (I'm pretty nerdy).

Videos would be embedded into posts from youtube and such.
    I don't think you understood my question. What medium would the workshop be on? A forum thread? Skype chat? IRC?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Does any one know if there will be new rom hacks for gba this year ??

There's plenty of new betas out this year :) who knows, they might have a full release by the end of the year. Pokemon Discovery and Fire Emblem: Bloodlines have a fair bit to play. Plus, Gogo is releasing his beta sometime in April!

So yeah, there's plenty going on. Go check out the progressing hacks and hacks studio areas.

Likely a combination of IRC and Forum thread. I'm still undecided, and probably can be persuaded.

Thread with a drop in IRC/Skype help room or something? (y)(y)(y)

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    Oh sweet then cause i play them on my phone emulater and yet only light plantum and glazed best ones for far so i been wondering if there will be any better ones lol

Beside im new to this whole web site lol but i love pokemon games :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Guys, can you suggest me some hacks with P/S Split.. I'm bored..

Just have a browse through some of the popular threads' features :).

I'm surprised not many people are joining in FBI Agent's ASM Workshop! Good opportunity to get some help and feedback developing ASM routines, FBI has been really helpful with correcting and adjusting my routines.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Just have a browse through some of the popular threads' features :).

I'm surprised not many people are joining in FBI Agent's ASM Workshop! Good opportunity to get some help and feedback developing ASM routines, FBI has been really helpful with correcting and adjusting my routines.

It might be a little bit of intimidation by the topic, mixed in with some difficulty issues.
    I get the feeling I made week one a little too hard. I jumped a few hurdles in hopes that people will try things out and experiment. If you're always writing noob routines like, "get Pokemon's health" or something trivial like that, you won't improve. Exercising your limits and trying to overcome them is key. Some guidance, which I'm trying to provide, while you're stuck on something really goes a long way.

When I was learning stuff, this was the strategy I used. I made the ASM resource thread, right when I learned how to hook. It served as good practice and definitely improved my skills. Obviously, we can't have everyone making their 90 resource threads, so hopefully the workshops are a good substitute.

If you don't have interest in learning ASM in general, then that's fine too. I would be happy if only 5 people were able to learn ASM to a decent degree out of that thread :)

I also hope people use the ASM help thread a lot more too. It's a great place to find not only me, but daniilS too for help!

Years

I know its a bit fun. But, I still need to understand some commands to participate fully. And, there's this college studies.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years

I would join too if I knew any asm what so ever.:P

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2015
    hai here i think i posted something here yesterday but i cant seem to find it x3 my phone probably didn't post it ^^" so could anyone with a 3ds with a 9.5.0-22u system scan 6 qrcodes for me and trade them? i made them myself with pokgear all legit stats, moves and abilities, its just my system is one update to high (9.5.0-23E) and i really want to ty a good team without any training hycups...in other words I'v gotten bored with all the ev training/breeding for my previous team ^^".....im willing to make you six pokemon in return and i'll send the qr codes through email :3

Years
  • hai here i thnk i posted somethng here yesterday but i cant seem ta fnd it x3 mah phone probably didn't post it ^^" so could anyone wit a 3ds wit a 9.5.0-22u system scan 6 qrcodes fo me and trade tham? i buggine tham mahself wit pokgear all legit stats, moves and abilities, its just mah system is one update ta high (9.5.0-23E) and i really want ta ty a good tebe witout any tranng hycups...n othar words I'v gotsten bored wit all tha ev tranng/breedng fo mah previous tebe ^^".....im willng ta make you six pokemon n return and i'll send tha qr codes through email :3

Your post was deleted because it has no relevance to ROM Hacking at all, and it still does not.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2015
    im so sorry ,i didnt mean to be out of context ^///^" i just thought that qr codes count as hacking to some people , is there any thread that i could ask this in ?

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2015
    thanks anyways :3 i'll go search through the forums and see if i can find it

Back