• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussion v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
  • Since the old thread got closed and I believe this kind of thread should still belong to this section, I'm creating a new one with the same purpose.
    To discuss ROM hacking freely.

This is NOT a helping thread. There are other where you can ask.
    This solely exist as a discussion thread for new inventions, new discoveries or other topics covering ROM Hacking business.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2014
    I got question:

Its possible to make Pokemon Fire Red without IV system?

I mean total remove IV system or set ALL starters, wild, npc pokemons to 15 iv or eny other way
    also include remove hidden power system if it exist in Fire Red idk ;P

Please told me if its possible and where i can read something about how to create this hack

Thanks.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
    Years
  • No, its not possible, in my knowledge. Cause the IV system is in the gba engine of FireRed, or any gen 3 games.
    But idk if this is possible through some ASM hack. But i really dont have that knowledge yet. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2014
    I have a question about pokemon emerald. I'm wondering if itwould be possible to make your pokemon follow you like ppkemon yellow or the newer games?

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
    Years
  • I have a question about pokemon emerald. I'm wondering if itwould be possible to make your pokemon follow you like ppkemon yellow or the newer games?

The routine has not been figured out yet. But it is being worked on. :)
    But sad to say, it is not in emerald, its in FR. The Discussion thread can be found HERE.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2014
    I read it I'm hopefull it will happen cause i think that's the best part of yellow i wish they would have just kept it in all the games

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2017
    Can any one make a rom hack that implements Red, Ethan, Brendan, Lucas, Hilbert, Nate, Calem, Wes, Michael, Kris, May, Leaf, Dawn, Lyra, Hilda, Rosa, Serena, Mark, Mint, Lunick, Kellyn, Ben, Solana, Kate, Summer, Hero, Heroine, Todd Snap, Blue, Silver, Wally, Barry, Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, Shauna because i heard someone say that Pokemon Lihgt Platinum had all the rivals there could be so i thaught how cool would it be if there was a hack with every one in it and todd snap cuz i feel like he doesnt get enough attention

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Can any one make a rom hack that implements Red, Ethan, Brendan, Lucas, Hilbert, Nate, Calem, Wes, Michael, Kris, May, Leaf, Dawn, Lyra, Hilda, Rosa, Serena, Mark, Mint, Lunick, Kellyn, Ben, Solana, Kate, Summer, Hero, Heroine, Todd Snap, Blue, Silver, Wally, Barry, Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, Shauna because i heard someone say that Pokemon Lihgt Platinum had all the rivals there could be so i thaught how cool would it be if there was a hack with every one in it and todd snap cuz i feel like he doesnt get enough attention
    Light Platinum actually showed that enormous amount of rivals is not good for hack.
    They won't get enough character development and will be degraded to common NPC trainers.

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
    Years
  • So, I'm not entirely sure if this is possible, but in my rom hack I am geting rid of the need for HMs, because HMs suck. So for moves like fly, surf, and dive, is it possible to have those functions with an item in the key items section?

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
    Years
  • So, I'm not entirely sure if this is possible, but in my rom hack I am geting rid of the need for HMs, because HMs suck. So for moves like fly, surf, and dive, is it possible to have those functions with an item in the key items section?

Yep, you can, but through ASM

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Going to throw in a new topic here; hope you guys don't mind! Anyway, when playing hacks, what do you look forward to the most? For me, it would have to be introduction. In my opinion, it's one of the things that either make or break a ROM hack. If it's something good and attention-grabbing, chances of me actually playing it would be raised higher. If it's not, then, well, I might quit playing before I even manage to reach the first gym. :P

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Going to throw in a new topic here; hope you guys don't mind! Anyway, when playing hacks, what do you look forward to the most? For me, it would have to be introduction. In my opinion, it's one of the things that either make or break a ROM hack. If it's something good and attention-grabbing, chances of me actually playing it would be raised higher. If it's not, then, well, I might quit playing before I even manage to reach the first gym. :P

It's almost the same for me, but what keeps me going is how the game continues after that. For example, if the game starts off really nicely but there's no progress in the story for a few gyms, then I'll probably stop playing it. I love hacks with an interesting story that actually get you excited about what's next after one or two towns/cities. However, having rivals, villains and special pokémon battles for every 10 steps I take isn't very good either. I enjoy frequent story events, but I also enjoy having the freedom to actually explore without being blocked by Team Rocket grunts in every map.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I was wondering what everyone though about gameplay mechanics in hacks? By this I was wondering if people preferred playing the 3rd gen mechanics or prefer updated system ie. P/S split and 5th gen exp growth? Was also wondering if people would be complelely put off of playing a hack that exclusively used the default mechanics?

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    The physical/special split is pretty much a dealbreaker for me - with how easy it is to implement, there's so many reasons to use it and so few reasons not to that I can't understand why anyone would make the conscious decision not to use it.

The Gen V experience yield seems to have been produced as a crutch to make up for the diminutive size of the Unova region rather than for smoother gameplay - I doubt it has any place in a hack, since hackers routinely produce smooth level curves leading up to an Elite Four in the level 70-80 range without it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    As easy as the Physical/Special split is to implement, I wouldn't want to see it implemented if there are no new moves added in the hack. It wouldn't be that bad, but there wouldn't be a balance between the physical and special moves for each type.

What do you guys think about evil teams in hacks, or generally the pokémon games? I think they've been overused and I'd be more interested in having a different kind of villain. What kind of villain are you all using in your hacks? And if it's an evil team, what makes it different than the teams from the previous pokémon games?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • As easy as the Physical/Special split is to implement, I wouldn't want to see it implemented if there are no new moves added in the hack. It wouldn't be that bad, but there wouldn't be a balance between the physical and special moves for each type.

What do you guys think about evil teams in hacks, or generally the pokémon games? I think they've been overused and I'd be more interested in having a different kind of villain. What kind of villain are you all using in your hacks? And if it's an evil team, what makes it different than the teams from the previous pokémon games?
    But even without new moves it allows for Pokémon movesets to be better balanced. Allows for some water type moves to go from being all special to allowing better physical water type attackers to have a better advantage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back