• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Rom Hacking Help (new guy here!)

Years
  • Hey everyone im very new at hacking and i was wondering if someone could help me out here. I am trying to get the green behind the buildings to turn into sand. View attachment 74419 is there any simple way to do this? also i am having a hard time inserting new tiles to use. i have tried the videos that are in the forums here and they wont load right.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Use the block editor (purple puzzle piece) and you should be able to tweak the house tiles to a sand base. :)

Years
  • like editing the color palette?

i tired that and i still have a little bit of green lol

I got! the four squares on the left are the background colors just had to change those

How about scripts? I dont understand them really....

I really need help with events and scripts... i deleted almost all the originals and i need help making new ones!

ok i think i have a bit of it but when i tried to make this fat guyView attachment 74424 he ends up being here in the emulator test ??View attachment 74423 can you tell me why?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    It's possible that its the emulator that you are using. That or did you save the map when you exited out of Advanced Map? Always save your work before Existing out, there is no auto save. Also make sure you're using the correct rom in your emulation test. It may be possible you chose a different rom then the one you have just edited.

If you need assistance with Scripts you can use this incredible Scripting tutorial.

Years
  • im using windows 8 VBA8+ emulator because for some reason my computer is missing files to play other emulators. and yes i always do save... i just dont understand what im doing lol

and ive read that script tutorial

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I'd suggest trying again. This time use a new clean rom and try to place NPC's in certain places. The script tutorials help alot. You need to be specific about certain scripts you're asking help on.

Years
  • plus i only have one rom right now

if i use a clean rom ill lose everything ive already did... its just the events and scripting im having trouble with.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Wait, was it a script that moved the Fatguy into another location? You need to be a little more specific what kind of events and scripting? The tutorial has it all. Are you having problems with a certain script?

Years
  • well i dont know... i just deleted the fat boy and put the prof asst. there and gave him the same script and it worked. now i just need to know i can link scripts (i think thats what its called) so that if i step next to him he says the same thing. then i need to know how to remove those scripts when another event takes place.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • ok i think i have a bit of it but when i tried to make this fat guyView attachment 74424 he ends up being here in the emulator test ??View attachment 74423 can you tell me why?

The reason for this is the level scripts in Palette town. There's one for the little girl with the sign which moves her IIRC. So what you want to do is go to the header tab of advance map and just delete the levelscript that has the "movesprite" command. Alternatively you can change her PID which is a bad way to resolve the issue.

Back