• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] ROM Hacking Insanity!

shadedbluewhitered

Fwhaha! I'm the Mastermind!
    Years
    Hello, the names shadedbluewhitered but you can call me Sbwr. I am very interested in starting my own ROM Hack, but I truly have no idea where to begin. I honestly don't even have a story, or to be more specific, what I am going to base my ROM Hack on. Me and a close friend of mine plan brainstorming ideas, but I don't wish to simply throw ideas out there, without a form of way to know that I am doing everything I need to correctly. So, my question is if there is any way to ensure that you could make a good story line, and where to get started with ROM Hacking?

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I would say think about things you always thought would be cool to have in a Pokémon game and think from there. That's what I did! Make sure you have your story well-planned before you start, that way you won't end up getting stuck for what to do next at any point. =)

shadedbluewhitered

Years
    Thanks for the help from both of you, I have gotten myself some motivation and I have an idea for what I want my hack to be about.

Now, my question to you all is if you could explain this 'version' thing. I see many people include the versions in their Pokemon ROM Hacks, but the thing is that I don't understand what they actually mean, and all the extra numbers that are sometimes added to them. Anyone care to explain?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Thanks for the help from both of you, I have gotten myself some motivation and I have an idea for what I want my hack to be about.

Now, my question to you all is if you could explain this 'version' thing. I see many people include the versions in their Pokemon ROM Hacks, but the thing is that I don't understand what they actually mean, and all the extra numbers that are sometimes added to them. Anyone care to explain?
    They're trying to emulate the naming of the official series. Y'know, Pokemon Red Version, Pokemon Platinum Version, Pokemon Gold Version, etc.

Now, if you're referring to Alpha, beta, and stuff like that, that is referring to the released state of their hacks and the number that it is (kind of like a percentage). So Beta .5 would be a demo that has a certain amount of hacking done on it, that amount depending on the creator and what they feel it means.

Last edited:

shadedbluewhitered

Years
    They're trying to emulate the naming of the official series. Y'know, Pokemon Red Version, Pokemon Platinum Version, Pokemon etc.

Now, if you're referring to Alpha, beta, and stuff like that, that is referring to the released state of their hacks and the number that it is (kind of like a percentage). So Beta .5 would be a demo that has a certain amount of hacking done on it, that amount depending on the creator and what they feel it means.

Yes, I was trying to refer to the Alpha, Beta, and other stuff like that. What do they actually mean? And the placement of them would be helpful too. Like for instance you said Beta .5 would be a demo that has a certain amount of hacking done on it, what exactly does that specific number represent in terms of the release date, because I have noticed some people putting numerous released states like 'Alpha 0.0033' and all of that.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Yes, I was trying to refer to the Alpha, Beta, and other stuff like that. What do they actually mean? And the placement of them would be helpful too. Like for instance you said Beta .5 would be a demo that has a certain amount of hacking done on it, what exactly does that specific number represent in terms of the release date, because I have noticed some people putting numerous released states like 'Alpha 0.0033' and all of that.
    The number and the release date are unrelated, it's just a placemark to let the viewers, as well as the workers, keep track of how far the hack is along in terms of progress. The release date all depends on the creator, though should the number be higher, it's a safe sign that progress is moving along.

So Alpha .0033 would be very early in development and, if it were released, it might not be all that different from the unhacked game. "Might" because, again, it's relative to the creator. One person's Beta .3 could be another person's Alpha .1, it all depends on how that person determines progress.

Alpha and Beta are two forms of development. Some other terms are used, such as Gamma, but rarely. Oftentime it's Alpha -> Beta -> Official Release, other times it's Beta -> Release. But generally speaking, Alpha indicates that the hack is early in development while Beta refers to them being further than alpha. But, as mentioned, one person's Alpha could be another person's Beta, and some people just use either term to note that the hack isn't done yet, so it all depends on the creator. As you look around, you'll start to get a feel for the terms and they're usage.

...And a fun fact, Alpha and Beta are the first two letters of the Greek Alphabet, hence their usage.

Back