• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Romance in Hacks

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    it all depends on the context. A well-written romance plot in a hack would go down well with me, but that goes for any well-written concept.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • it all depends on the context. A well-written romance plot in a hack would go down well with me, but that goes for any well-written concept.
    was there ever a hack like that? Forgive my ignorance but I havent played a hack for a long while now so im kinda curious and want to use it as a reference

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
    Years
  • To be honest, it would be alright to have romance in a hack if A.) The storyline is well written and B.) If you would make the characters older. I haven't seen it done in a hack before, but it would be nice to see it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I wouldn't mind seeing it in a Pokémon game if it actually worked. It should be simple to present the protagonists as 16-18 year olds, but how would romance help you in a Pokémon game, would you get items as gifts or access to special legendaries?

In my hack, certain characters' attitude towards you changes depending on some decisions you make, but it won't be very obvious until very late in the game when these decisions pile up. If these characters come to "like" you enough, you'll get special events/items/pokémon, but no romance.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Huh? Why not?

I just don't see it blending in well with the catch Pokémon, earn badges setting in Pokémon games. It might just be because I wouldn't be interested in such a feature in a hack, though.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I just don't see it blending in well with the catch Pokémon, earn badges setting in Pokémon games. It might just be because I wouldn't be interested in such a feature in a hack, though.
    Well romance in hacks doesn't necessarily imply that it's something you do on your own in a sort of Sim-Date, build up relationship with NPCs sort of way.

I could easily see it as a part of the story, as is the case with many games, books, movies, etc. Where two characters become romantically inclined over the course of the game. An...example I have off of the top of my head is Pokemon Topaz, that Fakemon hack by TehBaro that I personally played...geez, 7 years ago? Regardless, the character you didn't pick was your rival, and *Spoilers* by a certain point they become romantically inclined.

That's just an example, and the game didn't have too much character development so it felt a bit spontaneous, but that's just one example of how it's been used in hacks in the past and how it could fit into pretty much any hack.

If...you...want another example...and this is pretty embarrassing, but some hacks have romance as one of the center points. It doesn't give you better Pokemon or items- they supplement it, not the other way around. A...key example of this is this hack. It's still Pokemon, and you do battle and like, but what's important is that romance is one of the goals of the game, and battling/exploring would help you reach said goal by granting you money and items.

So it can work, standard formula or no. And so long as it doesn't feel forced, I, personally, have no problem with it.

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
  • An...example I have off of the top of my head is Pokemon Topaz, that Fakemon hack by TehBaro that I personally played...geez, 7 years ago?
    You mean Pokemon Quartz? Only reason I know this is because I bought a pirated copy of it when I was younger, but that's a story for another topic.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    was there ever a hack like that? Forgive my ignorance but I havent played a hack for a long while now so im kinda curious and want to use it as a reference

Not yet. I'd say of using hacks as a reference for storyboarding, particularly in romance, take cues from non-gaming literature. It's easier, and makes the story a lot less cliche :P

Also, it was Quartz first, and then marble was the sequel. I don't think they used romance in Marble thoughhh

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Not yet. I'd say of using hacks as a reference for storyboarding, particularly in romance, take cues from non-gaming literature. It's easier, and makes the story a lot less cliche :P

Also, it was Quartz first, and then marble was the sequel. I don't think they used romance in Marble thoughhh

Now im more convinced that romance in hacks dont actually work out xD
    But crushes and support should totally be in. I remember playing shinygold and this npc was stalking fangirling about the hero.. She gave out free stuffs like full restore.. so might as well do something like that xD

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Also, it was Quartz first, and then marble was the sequel. I don't think they used romance in Marble thoughhh
    Wait, you're right.

...Where the hell did I get- oooh. I know. Wichu. Around that time, Wichu was working on Pokemon Topaz, which was a pretty big project in the Game Development forum that- eh, you guys don't care about my 2008 talk.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. So many memories circling around the subject I get a little confused sometimes @.@

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Now im more convinced that romance in hacks dont actually work out xD
    But crushes and support should totally be in. I remember playing shinygold and this npc was stalking fangirling about the hero.. He gave out free stuffs like full restore.. so might as well do something like that xD

Oh yea, I'm all for that creepy stalker npc that follows and gives the player all sorts of "gifts". But romance, unless the base of the story not so much.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I don't think saying Quartz did it makes it a good thing. Just like the fakemon (and just about everything else in it), the "romance" wasn't really done well.

Maybe it could work if the story was more geared towards it, but unless it was really well written it would probably just feel out of place. Most people don't play Pokemon for the story, I don't think there's any point in adding relationships to complicate it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I don't think saying Quartz did it makes it a good thing. Just like the fakemon (and just about everything else in it), the "romance" wasn't really done well.
    No, it wasn't, but that was largely due to how the characters developed and how the romance came to be- in that they weren't really given much attention and the romance was spontaneous.

The point is, though, should it be better managed...and, well, better done in general, it can be effective. Quartz is simply an example showing that it can be done as a part of the game's narrative.

Back