• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roybrus: Computer Programmer, Pokemon Fan.

Roybrus

Computer Programmer
    Years
    Hello everyone, my name is Roy. At the time that I'm writing this, I'm an 18 year old computer engineering student from Canada. It's been a while since I've been part of an online community, but I've always been a massive Pokemon fan, and I guess I've just been feeling nostalgic recently. I remember when I was younger, I would frequent forums such as the Pokemon Crator forums, and Pokedox; both of which are both long shut down by now, unfortunately. Part of the reason I got so interested in programming in the first place was due to people on those forums, and I was hoping maybe I could use this community both to share my life-long love of Pokemon with like-minded people, but also to give back in this regard.

I noticed there was a game development section of the forum, and I've undertaken many successful projects in both C++, Java, and even some Javascript and HTML5 games. I'd be happy to lend a hand to teach people about the logical structure of a program, and how to think about solutions to programs using code, if anybody is interested. I should also mention that I've used a variety of languages and paradigms when it comes to coding, including functional languages like Lisp and Haskell; imperative languages like C/C++, C#, and Java; scripting languages like Python, Ruby, and Lua; and others, including (but not limited to) FORTH, BASIC, FORTRAN.

As you've probably guessed, I'm a pretty massive nerd. I sincerely love problem solving, especially in the form of programming and doing solving mathematical problems. I'm also a massive fan of the sciences, with a particular interest in biology and chemistry, and a strong appreciation for physics. I also have a fairly low level appreciation for computer architecture, including a fairly in depth understanding of transistors (down to the semiconductor level), transistor logic, and digital logic in general. If you ever need someone to talk shop with, I'll likely be interested. I love to learn, no matter what the subject is. I've always enjoyed school, and I love to see different approaches to specific problems, as well as to see different perspectives on different issues. :)

Beyond academic endeavors, I have a massive interest in the game of chess, however, I don't play it much myself, honestly. I'm a casual gamer when it comes to videogames, and I try not to be platform myopic, though I do tend to prefer Nintendo overall if I had to make a choice. I own a large number of games (over two hundred on steam alone), and many different consoles. I tend to prefer puzzle games, especially games like Portal, but I've been known to enjoy RPGs (my favorite of which is Final Fantasy VI). Of course, it probably goes without saying that I've been known to enjoy a good Pokemon game, and I plan to buy Pokemon X as soon as exams are finished, as I would probably lack the self control to refrain from playing it instead of studying if I owned it. My favorite game in the franchise right now is Soul Silver, and prior to that it was the original Silver.

Aside from that, I enjoy reading and writing. I've been known to write short stories and poetry on occasion. I also play guitar, though it's mostly classical and country music. As far as listening to music, I'm a fan of a large variety of genres; I'll pretty much listen to anything. I'm not much for playing or watching sports, but I try to keep an open mind about everything, so maybe one day I'll grow to appreciate them a little more.

Well, that's pretty much my entire life's story. Thanks for reading guys, and sorry it was so long. I'm sure it will be a great pleasure to meet and interact with all of you. Thank you very much for welcoming me to your community. :D

P.s. I'll probably lurk around the forums a little while longer before I do any serious posting, just to get a feel for the community. :)

Also, some of you might be wondering why this account has existed since 2010 but it hasn't been posted on until now. In fact, the reason is simply that I forgot I had ever created this account. ^_^' Since I was looking for a community anyways, I figured now was the perfect time to make myself known to you guys. :) Sorry for the wait. :P

Last edited:

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
    Years
    Hey and welcome :)

First off:
    Wow. Just wow. This is one heck of an introduction! very detailed, yet very easy to read through. Do you write for a hobby?

I'm a pretty massive nerd
    That depends on how you define "nerd" :P I myself am a pretty massive nerd too, seeing as my biggest interests all involve computers in some way.

I have a massive interest in the game of chess
    I have been trying to learn this fine art myself some time ago, but I gave up because of boredom... But, if there is a way to do so (who knows) maybe we can learn it together?

Well, Welcome once again and I hope you will enjoy the time you spend here!
    if you ever need help you can always ask ^^
    Have Fun!

Roybrus

Computer Programmer
    Years
    Thank you for the very warm welcome! :D

I have been known to do some writing in my spare time. I used to maintain a blog in my spare time, however it's been almost a year since I've actually made a blog post on there. I've got a few of my silly JavaScript projects hosted there, but beyond that I wouldn't say there's anything too interesting at the moment. :P

As for the definition of nerd, my favorite definition probably comes from the Merriam-Webster English dictionary, and is as follows: "a person who is very interested in technical subjects, computers, etc." Personally I think that describes me pretty well. :P ^_^

As for leaning chess, I'd be very interested in trying to learn chess with you and anyone else who happens to be interested. Maybe we can have a game some time and try to figure it out, who knows? :)

Thanks again, I look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Last edited:
    Years
    Heya there Roy, welcome to PC! ^^

Always cool to see those interested in technology joining us here at PC! Sounds like you might be interested in the Technology & Internet section as well, which is where all the computer nerds hang out :P And yes, I am the moderator of that section, and I really recommend you check it out since I believe we do have a topic on programming somewhere in there ^_^

Anyways, if you have any questions pertaining to anything here, please never hesitate to ask anyone on staff, such as a moderator like myself or anyone else with a bold username, since we'd be glad to help you out :D

Hope you enjoy it here Roy! Feel free to leave a VM on my profile if you want to chat :)

JanickGers

Askjafehu
    Years
    Welcome, Roy.

I'm an 18 year old computer engineering student
    W2G!!

I've undertaken many successful projects in both C++, Java, and even some Javascript and HTML5 games. I'd be happy to lend a hand to teach people about the logical structure of a program, and how to think about solutions to programs using code, if anybody is interested. I should also mention that I've used a variety of languages and paradigms when it comes to coding, including functional languages like Lisp and Haskell; imperative languages like C/C++, C#, and Java; scripting languages like Python, Ruby, and Lua; and others, including (but not limited to) FORTH, BASIC, FORTRAN.

Sounds like you have vast knowledge to share with us. You should write a couple of tutorials! ;)

I'm a pretty massive nerd. I sincerely love problem solving, especially in the form of programming and doing solving mathematical problems. I'm also a massive fan of the sciences, with a particular interest in biology and chemistry, and a strong appreciation for physics.

I have a massive interest in the game of chess

I'm a casual gamer when it comes to videogames

Aside from that, I enjoy reading and writing

I also play guitar

Haha, we have a lot in common, bro!

Well, enjoy your stay at PC. If you ever need someone to lend you a hand with a game project or whatever you may need, be sure to ask.

Cheers!

Back