• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RPG Maker VX

Years
  • Yes, the new installation of the PC RPG Maker series is here. It is called RPG Maker VX. This installation is compatible with Windows Vista, as well as Windows XP and Windows 2000. This version retains the battle system of RPG Maker XP, as well as the 32x32 pixel tileset. The included graphics are a bit different, and appear to be in chibi-style. The screen resolution has been changed to 544x416. The script editor also makes a fine return. There is also the addition of a random dungeon generator.

Official Site
    Unofficial Website

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I messed around with the trial that was released. Really disapointed with how the mappinging is done and the new laye system. It's kinda messed up the way people make maps now.

NytewolfAU2k7

Game Modder & Creator
    Years
  • I won't be using VX or upgrading to it in the near future. Code Biohazard is safe on RMXP, as are my other games... RMVX looks like **** for lack of a better word...

Aqua Mudkip

LOL I'm okay!
    Years
  • Aqua Mudkip: Nice! I like how the new functions work but the events screen is just too big that It doesn't fit my screen and I can't click the Ok button to finish making my event...

Last edited:

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
  • You know, if they'd ever make a Mac compatible version they would get so many more customers! I would actually have to buy a piece of software.LOL

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    Do you need to by VX? My computer just got rebooted so if you do I will get 2003 instead.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Tried it, hated it im going to wait for Stencyl to be released because it can make loads of different types of games it much easier to use and it's free :D

DarkPegasus

~ Stargazer ~
    Years
  • Well, I tried it out. The mapping is... stupid. The event editor is really good. I was amazed, they put everything under categories, so much easier to move around.

And then... I tryed to test a game. I got "the blue screen of death", so I guess the software got in an endless loop, they should work it out.

Years
  • Well, RMVX is made for developing a more eye-pleasing RPG. As you can probably see (if you tried the demo) that mapping and tilesets are handled differently, and there are really 5 layers now, rather than 3, and tilesets are back to having a limit. The framerate has also been boosted up to 60FPS, which is a nice touch. Now, handling the program as compared to RPG Maker XP is a bit different. As already stated, the mapping is done differently, and that tilesets are handled differently. Now, with the tilesets, you only have 5 tilesets, all of which appeared to be limited. The Events layer is also extremely inconviently plasced on the icon toolbar. One positive is that the Eventing system is bit more planned out, but it appears as if they left out some events (I don't have RMXP on this computer, so I couldn't compare). Now, the database is essentially the same, but some things are changed. For example, because of assumed tileset limitations, there is no tileset tab. They also have net different tabs for Weapons, Armor, and Items. Now, onto the scripting. Instead of using the same RGSS system as RPG Maker XP,they implemented an updated one, with slightly modified syntax and commands. This, of course, means that most RPG Maker XP scripts will not directly work with RPG Maker VX. Now, the Resource Manager was essentially the same, but since graphics are handled differently with the program, there were less folders than with RPG Maker XP. This included the tileset, which meant changing the tilesets needs to be done by hand. Now, the default battle system is the same as the one included with RPG Maker XP, which is a bit of a disspointment. A battle system like the one in RPG Maker 2003 would have been nice. The inclusion of facesets is a plus, but not somehing they should have prioritized when they were making the program.

Overall, RPG Maker VX is not really suited for Pokémon games. If you really want to upgrade, or if you have never touched RPG Maker, try the trial version and see what you thing. Otherwise, don't even bother with it. Personally, I am sticking with RPG Maker XP on my laptop.

KaptainKrunk

FIRIN' HIS LAZER!!!
    Years
  • Yes! It's about time! I'm gettin kinda fed up messin with my XP!

First post! Hope to become an active member soon enough! :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2011
    well, it looks good so far, i mean it has a lot of things i missed from the older ones (OMG! they finally brought the vehicles back! *dances*) and they have more options for stuff, but.... I HATE THE BATTLE SYSTEM ****IT! when are they going to bring the older battle system back?????? you know! the good RPG battle system? i miss that system SOOOOO much! T-T

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
  • I tried this today and something pisses me off seriously, for 1 I can't seem to find a way to use other tilesets in the different layers, second the graphics that come with it... well suck really, compared to earlier RPG Makers, and finally where's the layer protection? I delete something on one layer and anything on that same spot on other layers gets deleted too. I know probably some of these problems have a solution but I haven't found it yet :x

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    Tried it(full version) and hated it, way to blocky for the types of games I'm making, and RGSS 2.0 isn't that much different than 1.0. And almost anything in VX can be added into RMXP very easily.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
  • Yeah, when I started my rant, I was refering to the full version. I mean, how could they turn such an awesome program into something so bad?

Back