• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] [Ruby] Edited tiles colours came out inverted

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2017
    Hey,

so basically the trees I inserted have come out in white and purple.. yeah.

I scrolled through the palettes and none of them have a white and purple palette.

I didn't insert them manually. Basically I saved the palette and tileset from a previous (and different rom) (which is now in the recycle bin) and pasted it into this one. When I wrote the palette to the rom and uploaded the trees everything seemed fine, (there were no discolourations of any other tiles and there were no discolourations of the trees themselves upon reloading the rom to a-map). They only appear in white and purple through a VBA test run.

I've only started editing pokemon games in the past week, so sorry if it's a really simple error >_>;

[Ruby] Edited tiles colours came out inverted

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Did you load a savestate or was it a fresh in game save? Also, did you have VBA open whilst you did the changes or open it after (after is preferable)?

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
  • I figured it out. When the game triggers the SWI that copies over the palette from the ROM to the RAM, it only copies six palettes (6-11). The palette that occupies the 12th palette slot is actually the palette used for the "Ruby Version" text on the titlescreen. Oddly enough, it never gets overwritten. So all you have to do is change the parameter for the SWI call so that it copies over '0x70' halfwords instead of '0x60'. In order to do that, you should change the byte at '0x056d62' from '0xc0' to '0xe0'. Isn't it funny how a single bit can affect the game so drastically?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Oh ding I didn't even realise you were using Pallette 12. Read what Squeetz put and it should fix.

For future reference though, do not use Pallette 12 for "general every map tiles" as that Pallette changes for each different "secondary tileset" that you select, so you'll have to manually change Pallette 12 for a lot of maps to be the same everywhere. As you are replacing the old trees and stuff, you perhaps should look into changing the pallette that they used to use eventually for general tiles like this.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2017

Oh ding I didn't even realise you were using Pallette 12. Read what Squeetz put and it should fix.

For future reference though, do not use Pallette 12 for "general every map tiles" as that Pallette changes for each different "secondary tileset" that you select, so you'll have to manually change Pallette 12 for a lot of maps to be the same everywhere. As you are replacing the old trees and stuff, you perhaps should look into changing the pallette that they used to use eventually for general tiles like this.

Hey, thanks for replying.

Yeah, it turned out to be the palette 12 thing. I actually had no clue that certain palettes in advance map could also serve a double or exclusive function for interfaces.

I reloaded the tiles and palette (savestate) onto a new rom under palette 11 and did a VBA test run, it works perfectly and I'm so happy, thank you! c:

did you press save pallete changes? And in ruby are some palletes that are apparently don't working even if changed.

Yeah, I made that error quite frequently when just starting out as I wasn't aware at the time that you needed to actually burn the palette to the rom.

I'm really ecstatic about making a pokemon hack, and I love the challenge of how manual and skill-based I'm learning that the project is, I just wanted to save myself from posting before I encountered the first error I couldn't resolve or find an article on (I need to lurk more >_>)

Anyway, thanks again to everyone c:

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2017
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
    I figured it out. When the game triggers the SWI that copies over the palette from the ROM to the RAM, it only copies six palettes (6-11). The palette that occupies the 12th palette slot is actually the palette used for the "Ruby Version" text on the titlescreen. Oddly enough, it never gets overwritten. So all you have to do is change the parameter for the SWI call so that it copies over '0x70' halfwords instead of '0x60'. In order to do that, you should change the byte at '0x056d62' from '0xc0' to '0xe0'. Isn't it funny how a single bit can affect the game so drastically?

Hey, thanks for replying.

Yeah, it turned out to be the palette 12 thing. I actually had no clue that certain palettes in advance map could also serve a double or exclusive function for interfaces.

I reloaded the tiles and palette (savestate) onto a new rom under palette 11 and did a VBA test run, it works perfectly and I'm so happy, thank you! c:

did you press save pallete changes? And in ruby are some palletes that are apparently don't working even if changed.

Yeah, I made that error quite frequently when just starting out as I wasn't aware at the time that you needed to actually burn the palette to the rom.

I'm really ecstatic about making a pokemon hack, and I love the challenge of how manual and skill-based I'm learning that the project is, I just wanted to save myself from posting before I encountered the first error I couldn't resolve or find an article on (I need to lurk more >_>)

Anyway, thanks again to everyone c:

Reactions: Nex
    Back