• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Runescape Vs WoW

RS or WoW?

• Runescape

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • World or Warcraft

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankey

The Delightful Nutcase
    Years
    The two are uncompareable.

I was on RuneScape for two years and then WoW for two years.

World of Warcraft is better by a long shot. The people are nicer, the gameplay is much richer and there is tonnes more content. The map is bigger, there are more quests and you can team up with people to complete your tasks.

RuneScape is full of scammers and the gameplay is very repetitive and boring. Nearly all the players are high-level and there is no chance to merchant or any proper PvP.

But like I said, they're both incompareable. RuneScape is a Java internet game which can be free and is very cheap if you are a member.

WoW is a game on a disk and is £8.99 a month and has millions of players and its gameplay is overall way better.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
    well, I have played both like an addict. The people playing wow are nicer than in RS and there's all around more stuff to do.

I would say RS but around the time I got banned for life (for a billing error? I got banned because Jagex messed up?) they started taking out the things that made RS really unique.

I had more fun in my 3 years of playing RS but at this point in time, WOW is completely superior.

Hey... I got 45 dollars for easter, I need to go get a WoW card!

Wulf

Am I kawaii know? Uguu~
    Years
    I dont bother the 15$ fee but WoW has better PvE and better graphics :P But just download it from the website and play a private server no fee if thats keeping you back
    Tsk, tsk.

Anyways, I like WoW better. I could never stand Runescape. It has better combat, community, graphic, etc. I try to stay away from free MMOs back then, now, I just try and stay away from MMOs. But there is one thing I learned from MMOs:

-Good
    -Free
    -MMO
    Pick 2

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010

$15 for a month of entertainment versus $10 for a movie that lasts 1.5-2 hours.
    $15 for a month of entertainment versus $13 for a book I can read in 2.5 hours at the most.
    $15 for about 720 hours of entertainment versus $50 for most any other game that lasts 40 hours or so.

Just emphasizing the point that $15 a month for a game is nothing, when compared to other outlets (as much as I also enjoy those other outlets).
    $180 a year
    $360 for 2
    $540 for 3

It really adds up. Plus price =/= quality. So stop talking about prices.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    $180 a year
    $360 for 2
    $540 for 3

It really adds up. Plus price =/= quality. So stop talking about prices.

How much do you want to wager people spend on books, food, or other video games in a year? A year of WoW is cheaper than buying four other video games. I know just four other video games will not last me a year (if I'm not playing WoW).

And in this case, yes, price does equal quality. Development costs cash. Hiring people to watch servers, create content, and police players costs money. So since World of Warcraft has more income, they can spend it on making the game much better.

The mere fact that they can charge a monthly fee and people will pay for it proves that it is better than Runescape.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2010
    <walloftext>

Warcraft hands down... since we're just comparing the two, cause personally I say FFXI owns all... but that's simply due to the fond memories I have playing that game with people... BUT BACK ON TOPIC...

Honestly, I'm currently in a "MMOs are the devil" phase. Hate them all. Buuuut, I played Runescape for at least 4 years and I played WoW for at least 4 years. Sure, Runescape is free... but take in mind, the Members servers are a MILLION times better than vanilla Runescape...

Also, yes, Runescape is only 5 bucks a month (last I checked) and yeah WoW is 15... but eh. Honestly, who care about those prices? You may think "$180 a year just to play a game?! That's stupid!"... Well, think of it this way (which has kinda been said I think):

Let's say you only buy 3 brand new console/PC games a year. That's going to run you about 150 dollars at the LEAST (unless you get one of those 30 dollars PS2 games or something...). That's only three games. I'm going to go out on a limb here and claim that the average gamer buys a LOT more than three games a year... I mean, my girlfriend who I would HARDLY classify as a gamer has already bought five DS games this school year.

Now, if you're playing a MMO like World of Warcraft, you are clearly going to be spending majority of your usual gaming time playing it. Not to mention, a majority of your free time in general. This easily leads to:

1) Being uninformed about video games. Can't buy what you don't know exists. Trust me. When I played WoW, I did not keep up to date with gaming news at ALL. If I didn't have a friend who worked at gamestop at that time, I would have heard NOTHING about the gaming world.

aaand 2) You're playing WoW. You have no time for other video games. Why go buy a 60 dollar video game when you have a game you play every day and night because you always have crap to do in it?

So yeaaah. This argument is clearly only about the pricing of the monthly fees. The point I'm trying to make is that using the argument of "Runescape is FREE, so it's BETTER" is not really valid at all. While World of Warcraft does cost 15 dollars a month, you're getting a heck of a lot more content, and a lot more of your time can be spent playing a game for only 15 dollars a month (much less than what someone who religiously plays console games would spend).

</walloftext>

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Neither. Both get addicting as the 'cohol and in my opinion, they are just simply dumb.

I'm not really into those games, but Runescape is better because I would not be willing to pay for this stuff if I had to play some.

Immortal_one

Math is power.
    Years
    $180 a year isn't a lot if you have a job.
    I personally don't like either game, because Runescape is a grindfest (a grindfest that I was sucked into for about a year and half T_T) and WoW is too expensive for just entertainment.

I feel like $180 a year is too much to pay for entertainment.
    Another thing, I wouldn't want to pay a monthly fee for a game because I would feel like I would have to play it before my membership runs out or else I would waste money. It would become sort of a job and be far from enjoyable, yet addicting. Runescape was like that, but a lot cheaper.
    Not my cuppa tea.

If this were a topic over Guild Wars verses WoW, I'd definatly say Guild Wars though, you pay for the inital software and then the only other price you pay, if you so wish to do so, is the price of the expansion. I can neglect the game as long as I want and pick it up whenever and still have online play.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    WoW is better than Runescape. Runescape fails. YES I SAID IT ROLAND

It's just I'm most people are too stingy don't want to/can't pay the fee.
    Waste of money.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I must be one of the few who prefer RuneScape. I'm playing it right now, in fact. I've been playing it for a few years off and on, never going through a no-life phase on it.

I like RuneScape because of the engaging landscapes, fun quests, nice skills, rewarding mini-games and simple interface. When I looked at WoW it just seems to be too fiddly with too much going on. And people cry about RuneScape's graphics, but they have recently released an HD version that makes them pretty darn good for a Java-based game, especially if you play in full-screen on member servers. Graphics don't make a game good, the gameplay is what matters and RuneScape has that in spades.

And why is only keeping three items when you die a bad thing? If you kept them all, there would be no real challenge to the game. You would just be able to swan in and be careless when trying to defeat that quest monster or high levelled enemy, the chance that you will lose all the items you invested time to get large amounts of money for allows you to stay focussed on the task and make it more fun. If you kept all your items, the high level monster drops would be de-valued and there would be no point.

Sure, the game has problems, like they all do, the community can be a bit annoying/immature at times and as a whole the game can get a bit tedious if none of your IRL friends play (all mine quit it to go console gaming), but I feel RuneScape is a great game for what it is. it does exactly what it says on the tin, regular updates, an okay community and is all-in-all a fun game to play. The game is the epitome of escapism and is a fantastic way to kill time. I would recommend it to anybody.

Start hating, WoW fans.

Last edited:

zlayer200

Sw3den H4ck3r ;d
    Years
    runescape is a nice game, with alot to do even for those who doesnt pay.
    A bad thing is the graphic, how you walk. If runescape become a full 3d downloadable game then it would strike 10.000 points.

Wolrd Of Warcraft, i cant see anything bad with this game expect that it cost huge money.
    It feels like a waste. Otherwise the game is very nice and there is nothing wrong with it.

My point is: Runescape is like for 9year old kids right now, good gameplay but bad graphics.
    WoW: Well everything rocks, (im not saying that since i played it) (the truth is i was like adicted for RS in like 2years? and played wow for like 2month?)
    The bad thing about wow is that it makes you lose alot of money.

/Zlayer

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Well RuneScapes less addictive than WoW and therefore more effective at not ruining your social life.

WoW also costs money, I don't buy a game to then have to keep paying to use it.

So runescape.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    The graphics and music in Runescape make me cringe, and I just can't get into it at all.

For me WoW is better because it has that immersion, also because I do enjoy a spot of role-play from time to time. Px

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Ok, random rant, or list of complaints depending on your viewpoint, since I'm generally against both games in some way, shape, or form

Runescape
    Isn't worth it unless you pay ($5 per month or so last time I checked?)
    Gets boring after you finish the non-member set of quests (unless you actually payed)
    I guess there's the graphics thing, I preferred the 2d graphics anyways.
    Got rid of the dangers of going into the wilderness last I remembered, effectively making it boring.
    One player per combat, AKA no cooperative play
    Grinding. If you don't have enough gold, you're grinding skills to get the gold you need.
    Anti...grinding...Runescape hates bots, so they installed random events to prevent grinding for some reason, completely undermining grinding prominent gameplay
    Death gives you only 3 items, no stackables, and sometimes the lowers are much more desirable (have a story from my friend about this actually XD)
    PvP servers (see above comment)

World of Warcraft
    Money issue
    $40 for the game [Battlechest, includes one expansion, Burning Crusade]
    $40 for Expansion, The Frozen Throne
    $40 x any other expansions they make, because if you're already in, you're NOT waiting for the price to drop
    $15/Month​
    Isn't fun until you get high level
    Bring friends, you'll need them to do those early-game (by that, lvl < 50-60) dungeons cuz everyone else is busy leveling to 80 by ignoring them.
    Generally have to walk everywhere, and there's no way to skip the flying thing, (though they finally added something to do, thank god)
    Language barrier. As far as I know, there's no way for you to understand what the other faction is saying.
    The "You're not playing right if you're playing it like that" thing with most classes, AKA you have to have this build, and play it like this...or you're stupid

It's not that these games are totally horrible, i personally haven't been able to get back into them. But if I did, it'd probably be WoW since I have more friends playing it, or more likely, Guild Wars, since I have even more friends playing that

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    I have never played WoW, but I was pretty addicted to Runescape at one point. But I hate what they've done with the game now. They totally screwed me over with the Grand Exchange, which for those of you who don't play the game, basically takes away the need for trading directly with other players. They also monitor the prices of all the items, meaning you can't but items for more or less than what is in the price range. This totally ruined the practice of "merchanting" for a ton of players (including me), which basically involved the buying and selling of items for profit. That's basically what I did for a few years and I made a crapload of money. Oh, and you also can't trade any items or money over to any other accounts for nothing in return, so now you can't outfit your newer accounts with stuff from your main character, which also sucks. They really took away a lot of the freedom that I enjoyed with the game, and now that everything is monitored and stuff, I don't really have a reason to play anymore. =/

I'm probably not going to start WoW anytime soon. I'd rather not pay the money, and I have plenty of other fun RPGs to play, like Oblivion and Fallout (and the new Fire Emblem for DS <3). I've always been sort of interested, but not enough to go out and buy the game.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    I used to play runescape a lot, i liked it over the other online games because it isn't solely focused on pvp. Its hard to engage in pvp at low levels so I was always too lazy to grind like crazy to get to a high level.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I played runescape once and i thought it was a horrible game. I played WoW for 5 months but that was long ago and WoW is a way better game cuz they get better updates and better graphics than runescape. ;]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back