• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Running out of ideas...??

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    hey... the togekiss evo is awesome. it's definitely something new, being one of the first normal/flying pokemon with a high special attack. also, togetic DEFINITELY needed an evo. it's virtually useless, but togetic is going to change that.

i'm definitely having a togekiss on my team. plus, fly has been boosted to 90 POWER, so i won't have to worry about using aerodactyl has a HM slave.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    I believe there is at least one pokemon based off a marsupial, Kangashkan I believe. And Psyduck probably had some relation to a platypus as well I believe. And there is a rabbit pokemon, its quite well known, its called Azumarill.

However they do need one or two marsupial pokemon. Maybe a possum pokemon or something? ;)

I suppose kangaskhan is a marsupial sort of but it doesn't exactly scream kangaroo, Psyduck duck it is a duck and besides that a platypus is an echinoderm, Azumarill sorry completely forgot about it.

Exokriz

Delete.
    Years
    Nosepass's Evolution is freaking scary as heck, I think I would run from that thing if i ever saw one rather then catch it. The Rhydon evolution was way too much, I like Rhydon because they look cool but this new evolution for it killed it. I really like the Male Kirlia evolution, they should have done it in R/S/E because Gardevoir really seems like a transexual as a male....lol.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    I do think that they're running out of ideas. They've been quite short of ideas since the R/B/Y generation. The following generations only really had a handful of well designed Pokemon each.

Though what I really want to know is which idiot is approving some of those things to be in the actual games. I mean, honestly, some of them are completely awful and quite a few more are very average. I've seen fake Pokemon sprites that are better than a lot of the 4th generation.

They need to get some new creative designers and use the vast amount of creatures in the animal kingdom and a bit of creative inspiration to design the Pokemon. Rather than just accepting some of the crap they've got now.

Years
    I suppose kangaskhan is a marsupial sort of but it doesn't exactly scream kangaroo, Psyduck duck it is a duck and besides that a platypus is an echinoderm, Azumarill sorry completely forgot about it.
    Platypus is a monotreme. Echinoderms are things like starfish and sea urchins.

Rabbits = Aside from Azumarill, there's also Mimiroru and Mimilop. Three rabbits so far, and that's not counting any pokemon that people could argue to be rabbits as well.

But anyways.

I agree that they could've had fewer evolutions, or at least more originals this time around - but I honestly don't think they're quite "running out of ideas" yet. Barring the evolutions, which risk suffering from lack of inspiration anyways since they're usually made to look somewhat like the pokemon they're related to, I thought they had some awesome ideas this time around. Design-wise, this is actually the generation I've liked best since second gen...and second gen is my favorite, so yeah.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    THE POUCH. *KANGAROO!!!!*

Um you do realise that A kangaroo isn't the only animal in the world with a pouch? possum, koala in fact all marsupials have pouchs hence why they are marsupials.

Platypus is a monotreme. Echinoderms are things like starfish and sea urchins.

I have no idea why I get those 2 mixed up all the time they sound nothing a like and they both describe something different, I dunno oh well call me stupid.

How about an ant eater pokemon or maybe a chair one lol?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2007
    i think some of the pokemon do look really stupid like tangelas evolution, but they have great abilities, stats, and movesets. So theres some bad and some good in it i guess

Years
    if they ran out of ideas then why would they still continue pokemon i hate when people complain about the the pokemon then when they come out they are like yeah the new ones are Pwnage

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2006
    You do make a point??, there was no need for a Eletabuzz, Magmar, Rhydon and a bunch of others, but I'm happy that they made a ghost type Legendary and made an evolution of Misdreavus, Snorunt and Dusclops, also making a Ghost/Flying type XD. But it was a good idea of making a Murkrow evolution considering it was a weak Pokemon from the begin with

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Snorunt always had an evo! Glalie!!! But I knew that they were running out of ideas when I saw Chimecho. A wind chime Pokemon? I mean, come on. I'm mad that they still haven't made a wolf pokemon!!!!!

yasu-trainer

Intermediate Trainer
    Years
    You certainly have touched a hot topic here. But, to some degree, you're right. I mean, the pine tree Pokemon tells you something. They also made some that there really was no need for (I'm talking about you, Dootakun... and Etebossu, and Nosepass' evo). Although, I personally can think of a lot of Pokemon they could still do *cough*kangaroo*cough*
    We'll just have to wait and see what Nintendo does in the years to come.

yasu-trainer

Intermediate Trainer
    Years
    Snorunt always had an evo! Glalie!!! But I knew that they were running out of ideas when I saw Chimecho. A wind chime Pokemon? I mean, come on. I'm mad that they still haven't made a wolf pokemon!!!!!

I don't know about the whole wolf thing. I always thought of Mightyena as a wolf to some degree, despite hyena being in the name. It really looks more like a wolf than a hyena. Well, enough arguing about current Pokemon. We should worry more about what they'll make next. (Shudders after taking another look at Nosepass' evo).

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    Yeah i do think that they are rapidly running out of new creations for pokemon. Some of d/p generation pokemon just look rushed and doesnt seem to give the impression that its a newer better generation. Some of the new pokemon may be good, but i think that the reason why they slipped a bit on the designs of the new generation pokemon, was because they were focusing on other aspects of the games and TV shows such as storylines and designs of cities, which i must say well deserved credit is dued to. I just seriously hope that they start to think long and hard about the development of the next generation of pokemon.

~Kipper~

.Bastion

O a t h k e e p e r
    Years
    I think that they definitely need some inspiration. I agree that the many new evolutions and pre-evolutions are showing that they are starting to run out of ideas and can't make any more well designed original pokemon. Some of them I think are great and are an excellent addition but others really didn't need one. That's right, I'm looking at the evolved forms of Magneton, Nosepass, Electabuzz, Magmar, and Rhydon

Hopefully next generation they'll go for a more original approach.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
    Yeah. I didn't like the idea of them making evolutions of some 1st generation pokemon like Electabuzz and Magmar. WHere is our Jynx evoltution. They could have done better with the Tangla one and Magneton didn't need one. The new eevee evolutions are ok but the ice one isn't needed. I was more of hoping for a steel eevee evolution personity. The pre evolutions I can do with out but what can you say. Not like we are actually going to use them because the first thing we going to do is evolve them. Glad that male Ralts have a more manly evolution now.

The new pokemon themselves are nice. They are new and fresh. I really can see some stuff being done with the legends. DOn't like the flaming monkey starter because fire and fighting has already been done (look under Torchic and Blazeken) so that made it the weakest compare to the other two starts. I say they did a good job at mixing the types. Poison and Dark: Now we have a poison type that isn't weak against Psychics.

Didn't like some of the evolutions of the past generation pokemon but did like the new typings this time.

Professor Pine

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    I think they aren't as good as the oringnals but if you made almost 500 pokemon i think you would start to run out of ideas.Plus I heard that when the 3rd gen came out people complained about simlaraties between them and 1st or 2nd (such as Weedle and Caterpie to Wurmple or Butterfree to Beautifly and Dustox) so they tried to make these ones look different.
    Personally I think alot of the fakemons i design are better than many of the new pokes but i reckon that Nintendo should base more on animals that haven already had a poke based on it.

Hopefully next generation they'll go for a more original approach.
    Haven't you considered there might not be a 5th gen? They do seem to running out of ideas and a ledgedary in it is decribed as the ''creation'' pokemon, the one that created the world. Legdedaries have increased in story-line importance
    from Mewtwo with only powerful fighting to Groundon and Kyogre, masters of the land and oceans. You can't get much bigger than a ''god'' pokemon. This could be the last of the generations!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I believe that the 3rd generation was a break for Nintendo. it was relatively disappointing

Law07

<--Kaboom-->
    Years
    I think in some pokemon they have lost it like some of those ones that you see in route 201 or something

But all the legendaries including Diaruga look so f***ing awesome!

Just cut down abit on evolutions, get more creative and imaginative designers in and bingo. Maybe they arent using ideas on purpose...so they can save them for another kick ass game...humbug

[Phantom Upheaval]

I friggin need new avy and sig
    Years
    For battling, I think they're out of idea.

An update since RBY, so far, are hold item, ability, double battle, 510 EV limit and attack split.

But they could add more to normal game, like voice command and season in time system.

Law07

<--Kaboom-->
    Years
    For battling, I think they're out of idea.

An update since RBY, so far, are hold item, ability, double battle, 510 EV limit and attack split.

But they could add more to normal game, like voice command and season in time system.

Voice command would be too difficult to manage I think. Like pronouncing some attack moves may be different and CALLING out pokemon, people pronounce different pokemon differently. Like Ky-og-re or Ky-oger. I've got the Brain Training came were you shout out the answers to sums, I get everyone of them wrong because I pronounce "8" differently

As for the seasons, well at least we have the time system back! And when you think about is there really any point in seasons? I mean like for Winter youd obviously want snow but there is already loads of snow in the mountains, and it doesnt always snow everywere anyway. The summer would get kind of boring, as a matter of fact whats so different in the Summer, heat? You dont need heat in a game.

Back