• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Saddest Moment in Film

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    What are the saddest moments in film that you've watched? When you watched it, did you cry?

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    As cliché as it is, when Jack dies in Titanic. Maybe it's the fact I've have a massive hard-on for Jack throughout the entire movie and I can't bear to see him die in such an unglamorous way or maybe it's that their love is so TRAGICALLY SHORT :(
    Yes, I cry my eyes out when I watch that scene.

As much as Jon would like to stick in a knife in my chest for loving this next movie, I always cry when Forrest Gump talks to Jenny at her grave. Always. I can't really explain it, it's just that it always gets to me.

Years
  • As cliché as it is, when Jack dies in Titanic. Maybe it's the fact I've have a massive hard-on for Jack throughout the entire movie and I can't bear to see him die in such an unglamorous way or maybe it's that their love is so TRAGICALLY SHORT :(
    Yes, I cry my eyes out when I watch that scene.

The only sad thing about that scene is that Jack dies even though there's plenty of room on the door! That irritates me so much! But with that said, that movie was a little bit sad.

For me, the saddest moment in film is when Carter dies in The Bucket List. Also, Morrie dying in Tuesdays With Morrie made me feel terrible.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • Bridge to Terabithia. Gawd, yes, I cried. Anybody who /didn't/ isn't human...
    yes, ugh. i was practically bawling the moment jesse took his younger sister to terabithia. i mean, i don't know what it is in that final scene that really struck a chord in me.

another film i found really sad was "la vita e bella," or "life is beautiful," as it is commonly known. the tears started to accumulate themselves at the back of my eyes at the scene where guido (the father) was shot to death by a nazi soldier. then came the scene where the camp was liberated and giosue (or however you spell it) was finally reunited with his mother. she lifts him off the ground and kisses him and giosue shouts, "we did it! we won the game!" and the dramatic instrumental plays and i am crying my eyes out.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm sure there will be more I think of later, but when I saw this thread, two scenes come to mind:

The first is the final scene of Stepmom (1998) when Susan Sarandon, who is dying of cancer, is giving her children their Christmas presents (patchwork quilts made with photos of them together, if I remember correctly) on what will certainly be their final Christmas together. I have to fight so hard not to cry at that scene every time it's on, because I usually watch it with my mother and sister and I have made it a rule in life never to show emotion around them.

The second is the scene in the final Harry Potter movie where Harry is sifting through Snape's memories and it is revealed that the reason he had been protecting Harry all this time was that he had been - and still was to that very day - in love with his dead mother. The clips where it shows Snape finding Lily's dead body and nearly collapsing into the wall with grief, and the scene with Dumbledore with this simple exchange:

Dumbledore: Lily? After all this time?
    Snape: Always.

I am seriously tearing up right now just thinking about it. The first few times I saw it (and I saw this movie in cinemas five times) I felt physically ill from the moment he said "Always". Here it is for anybody who hasn't seen it!

The video is a bit long so while I do recommend that you watch the whole thing, the parts I mention start at around 4:30

Last edited:

firepokemon

Fire and Ice
    Years
  • I always go back to Empire of the Sun, 1987 film by Steven Spielberg. The film itself has been criticised for not showing enough of the real horrors in such a camp (in addition the book itself is a condensed version of reality in such a place) but for me the film certainly works. I cry when Jim says know he doesn't what his parents look like. The end also gets me everytime. On one hand it is a happy moment as Jim is reunited with his parents. But I'm always grabbed by other children looking for their parents. Clearly, not all children would be reunited with their parents. As such my eyes start to water and I ball my eyes out, lol.

I also always cry when the unicorns are released from the sea at the end of The Last Unicorn. But as that is a happy moment I shouldn't be sad.

I cry a lot over films/tv so you think I could actually point to heaps. But as always with these type of questions my mind always seems to go blank.

Guest123_x1

Perhaps the saddest moments in film for me are (1) in 1942's Bambi, when the title character's mother was killed, and (2) in The Lion King, when Scar told Simba that the King (Mufasa) was dead (which Scar threw to death).

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Two movies I have watched caught my eyes into tears

Dear John- When John read the letter to his father
    The Last Song- When Miley Cyrus' character literally saw her father passed away...

Yes I'm a guy who actually dropped in tears for both of these. But I could somewhat relate realistically to the film. (Except my father's ill after having millions of Strokes and a few Seizures..) It's never a good thing when a family member goes into a tough time/situation..

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    First ten minutes of Up!; didn't care much for the rest of the film, but that scene was great.

Death of Radio Raheem in Do The Right Thing. Just because of the reflections on reality rather than the character himself being particularly compelling.

Billy's suicide as well as McMurphy's lobotomy in One Flew Over.

And ofc the cliches, Titanic, Romeo and Juliet, Moulin Rouge.

Only ever cried at Schindler's List and Grave of the Fireflies.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • A lot of movies, but one that hasn't been mentioned is my favorite. The 2004 movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I get real emotional starting around the row, row, row your boat scene and it just gets more intense from there.

The lines that always get me are "So what do we do? - Enjoy it." and "You said "So go" with such disdain, you know?" The whole second half, really, is the saddest part to me. It doesn't really stop, it's like one long, intense scene.

Back