• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Saddest Song.

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
Years
  • colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • One by Metallica. I mean come on. The guy had his legs and arms amputated, he can't see, can't hear, can't smell, and can't speak. And he just wants to die.

Never heard of it but from your description it sounds like a rip-off of Tommy, to be honest.

I've heard a lot of songs whose melodies tug at my heartstrings but as for lyrical content, I'd say that Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin is the saddest song that I've ever heard. The lyrics have deep personal meaning.

level.

Forgot about user titles
    Years
  • Pyramid Song, How to disappear Completely, Morning Bell, Climbing Up the Walls, Fitter Happier, Exit Music(For a Film),2+2=5,...etc.
    All by Radiohead.
    Radiohead was the only thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread.
    They're all good though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010

Amazing song, in my opinion. It's one of Evanescence's lesser-known songs. I always felt kinda sad that people look past anything not on their albums, though. ;;

Years

• Yeah, I'll definitely say, that Rob D can make very sad songs. I cried on it several times.

Last edited:

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • Never heard of it but from your description it sounds like a rip-off of Tommy, to be honest.

"One" is inspired by a book called Johnny Got His Gun, which is about a soldier during WWI who got seriously FUBAR, like whodathunk described it, only being left with his thoughts. Since he can do absolutely nothing, he just wants to die. A film version of the book was then released and some clips from it was used in the song's music video. It's a good song and one of Metallica's most favorite & popular by fans.

Now that I put more thought into this, "One" by Metallica might have to be my choice. It even has a personal meaning to me because it reminds myself of the early days and sound of Metallica (which I miss).

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Lol, after seeing the video of Your Love by Nicki Minaj I want to cry every time I hear the song...

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    There are quite a few concept albums I listen to where the story told is a very sad one. As for individual songs that are sad, there aren't many. The ones I get sad over are usually just because of memories attached, rather than actual lyrical content. I find that a lot of songs that try to be sad just end up sounding whiney to me. I could think of two, both by Elbow.

Elbow - Friend of Ours
    Spoiler:

Very short, but still meaningful.

Elbow - Some Riot
    Spoiler:

Lyrics alone don't tend to be sadening, but accompanied with the haunting atmospheric sound of the song, it's probably the saddest for me.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2011
    I can't claim to have heard it, but I believe there's a song called Gloomy Sunday which is sad enough as to have caused multiple suicides. Eek.

Yup- I've listened to a re-done version of that song, and it was really sad. Apparently, it first came out in Hungary, and multiple people committed suicides where they had a note with its' lyrics, or they had been listening to it, or they somehow were connected to it. So, yeah. The song was banned and was nicknamed the 'Hungarian Suicide Song.' I looked it up on youtube, and the version I listened to was saddening, but not enough that I would want to kill myself. I'm just too happy a person for that.

Another song that sounds beautiful, but has very sad lyrics is 'The Lighthouse's Tale' by Nickel Creek.

Back