• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Safari Zone

Years
  • In my opinion, ORAS ruined the safari zone. Here's why.

1. There's no entry fee
    2. You use your own balls
    3. You have to actually battle them with actual attacks

Some people may like this more, but for me, removing these characteristics took away everything I liked about the safari zone.

What do you think?

Years
  • I'll miss the Safari Ball because the price for trading for Pokemon in those balls is going to skyrocket, but otherwise I'm not bothered by the changes at all. My problem with the Safari Zone is what they didn't change- the terrible selection of Pokemon. The only additions they made were Buneary, Kakuna, and Pidgeotto...after getting the National Dex. They did so much with the Johto Safari Zone, and yet here they couldn't even be bothered to at least include the Pokemon from Emerald for whatever reason.

And because I know someone will inevitably say it, yes, I realize these are Ruby and Sapphire remakes and not Emerald remakes, that's a conversation that has been had over and over again. The point is that they had the means to make the Safari Zone better, but they didn't.

Years
  • Well the changes are more of an anti-frustration method, I know how annoying the old mechanics with Safari Zones were, such as the Safari Balls never always catching something successfully (and of course the chances of the Pokemon fleeing, which gets even more saddening if it's a shiny that gets away) and there's that dreadful step limit where you're forced out after you reach said limit. I was actually happy they kept the ability to use your own balls and Pokemon like what they did with the Friend Safari in X/Y.

It is kinda saddening there's no new additions post-National Dex other than Pidgeotto, Kakuna and Buneary (however, they're all related to Megas) but Red did bring up a point about these remakes being based on Ruby/Sapphire and not Emerald.

Years
  • To some people, the Safari Zone was just based on stupid luck. I don't know about you, but i'd rather not put up with things running after just chucking some balls. It's not the most fun time (don't even get me started on if I were to find a shiny there).

And removing the entry fee? I don't think that's something one should be displeased over.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I really dislike the new Safari Zone, it's messy, and I miss how it used to be. That's like the 1 downside of the game for me.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Without the awful features of the Safari Zone, this Version has no reason to exist. As a NPC say, "It is just like any other wild place"

Friend Safari had a unique gimmick that encouraged a lot of repeat visits. This area needed that.

Like, What if the wild pokemon list changed based on your lead Pokemon? Something like that would make it more interesting.

Dunnydude

Too Spooky
    Years
  • The most frustrating part of it all to me is the bike paths that lead to items. It appears that most of them require BOTH bikes to get to, so I just don't know what to do..

Oh, when it comes to obtaining both bikes, you need to go around the Hoenn region talking to certain people who come from a different region. These people will notice your bike, and when you talk to these 3 people you can go back to the bike shop in Mauville and the store owner will give you the other bike.

Show the Mach Bike to a Hex Maniac in the Route 111 Desert, near the secret base up on a hill.
    Switch bikes at the Mauville bike shop and show the Acro Bike to a Bird Keeper in the Acro Bike area of Route 119. And then with any bike talk to a tourist at the Battle Resort.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I really don't like what they did to the Safari Zone, which turned from a fun challenge to basically being just like every other area in the game, making it so I use my own Pokemon that can easily KO the Pokemon I want (since I'm not fond of changing my team too much from stronger to weaker Pokemon), spending more money on Ultra Balls rather than anything else, and the layout of the area just looking horrible with nothing more than Mach and Acro Bike abuse.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    So, they did away with those restrictions in the Safari Zone??

I'm friggin' ecstatic! That's one less thing to be frustrated about. Trying to get hidden ability Pokémon with the DexNav is more than enough frustration as it is, especially inside those caves.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • They should have replaced it with a friend safari.

The Friend Safari is already in the game at the Battle Resort, but this one is just lazily done, were they out of time tat they just made it another area to catch Pokemon normally rather than an actual challenge like the original Safari Zone was? Granted it's better than taking the Safari Zone out completely like in G/S/C (or the Game Corner like they did in these games), but it didn't need to be completely nerfed with a very awkward layout.

Years
  • The Friend Safari is already in the game at the Battle Resort, but this one is just lazily done, were they out of time tat they just made it another area to catch Pokemon normally rather than an actual challenge like the original Safari Zone was? Granted it's better than taking the Safari Zone out completely like in G/S/C (or the Game Corner like they did in these games), but it didn't need to be completely nerfed with a very awkward layout.

Oh where is it in the battle resort? been there but not seen it lol

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • The Friend Safari is already in the game at the Battle Resort, but this one is just lazily done, were they out of time tat they just made it another area to catch Pokemon normally rather than an actual challenge like the original Safari Zone was? Granted it's better than taking the Safari Zone out completely like in G/S/C (or the Game Corner like they did in these games), but it didn't need to be completely nerfed with a very awkward layout.
    It is? Something else I missed.

I just wish they had expanded it, perhaps added in the Emerald area.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I really miss HG/SS's safari zone. THAT was a good safari zone

yeah wating for a YEAR to get all the mon is a best safari zone. ( sacasm.)

I actually like it more. No more relying on DUMB luck! we have it enough in pokemon game. Especially in battle masion and catching legendaries.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I haven't played the game yet, but saw my brother just get to it. I agree, its fricken stupid. I liked the old Safari system, without it, it really has no reason to exist. I haven't used the Friend Safari, so I don't know if it should have been replaced with that, but apparently its in the game anyways.

With this, the removal of the game corner, and I guess changes to Mauville, my hype for finally getting this game is dropping low low low.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    The thing I hate about it is that there are so few pokemon and extremely common pokemon (sure, maybe not to Hoenn, but Kalos for sure) not to mention Serebii lists what pokemon are available in each section in each version and THEY'RE ALL EXACTLY IDENTICAL!! While I do miss the bait machines and sneaking up on pokemon to catch them and all, I did very much like battling and catching the normal way much better and the actual safari zone rather than a stupid square of grass you run around in like X and Y. What they should have done was combined the two and still had the full Safari Zone but used your friend list like a Friend Safari to determine what pokemon would populate it. While I wasn't' a fan of the bait and sneak method necessarily, it was nice to make the area unique. I do prefer catching pokemon normally, but it should have down something to make it special I think, just not sure what.

Back