• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sakura Taisen - Have you ever heard of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Sakura Taisen

I was just wondering, has anyone on this website ever heard of this anime? It is based on a popular video game series made by Sega in Japan. If you have heard of this series before, you can post your thoughts here. If you haven't, and are interested in more information, I could get you started. It may not be as popular as other games and anime, but it is out there. Again, you can post here, if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    OMG! <3

I <3 Sakura Taisen, I'm playing 3 on the computer right now! xD I've also watched some of the anime, but I prefer the games better. xD

Years
    I am happy to see these responses, in such a short time period! I am very happy to see this! You see, I can't talk about this game very much, since a lot of people have never heard of it before, and that's because this never truly made it here, except for the anime DVDs. In fact, besides Pokemon, I also love this series, a lot! I'll post more later. Thank You!

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    I wish I could play the game. But I just have to settle for the show. I'm about to start watching Sakura Wars TV. I have watched Sumire and Sakura Wars the Movie. Eventually, I'll get the OVAs. I know I'm doing this way out of order, but I tend to watch things as soon as I get them.

And I'm starting to read the Sakura Taisen manga that recently was released. Only Volume 1 is out right now.

Years
    Just a few months ago, on July 7th, Sakura Taisen V was released in Japan for the PS2. This introduced a new set of characters, amongst other things. Anyways, have you played it yet? I'm just wondering, just so that I don't spoil the story for you. In my case, I got it on the first day, and went on to beat the game with all playable characters, just like almost all of the other Sakura Taisen games that I own. This game, though, has a different feel from the older games. And, yes, I do have the manga, as well. If you would like a more active discussion on this game, you could go to gamefaqs, if you'd like. Hope that helps.

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Isn't V based in America and they used horses? o.O;

I like big robots better. xD

Years
    The game that you are talking about is Sakura Taisen V Episode 0: Arano no Samurai Musume. And yes, that did involve the playable character, Gemini Sunrise, riding on a horse, throughout the whole game. And yes, the game takes place in America. The sequel to this game, Sakura Taisen 5: Saraba Itoshiki Hito Yo, is the regular game with all the robots and everything. It also features a new hero, Shinjiro Taiga, the nephew of Ichiro Ogami, now the new commander of the Teikoku Kagekidan. This game takes place in New York City.

Years
    If you ask me, I like Sakura Taisen 5, even if some other people don't. The new chracters take some getting used to, but the new robots, known as the STAR robots, do make the old ones look outdated by comparison. Not to mention, the music is more western this time, to suit the territory it takes place in. As far as news are concerned, Sakura Taisen 1 and 2 are being released for the PSP next year in Japan. And even more new music CD's are coming out, which are not easy accessible here in the States. I hope to get some of these in the near future, if I can. Well, I'll post more later.

Years
    On gamefaqs' website, there is an English translation that is being attempted on Sakura Taisen V on PS2. If you'd like, you can check it out, it is slowly beginning to pick up steam. Chapter 1 was just recently completed. I wish the person translating this game a lot of luck, since this will be very difficult. Maybe, just maybe, he could approach the level of translating that made Kayama famous around the Sakura Taisen universe.

Years
    As of now, a translation for chapter 2 of Sakura Taisen V is up! It, for now, just has the start of the chapter. Gamefaqs just put it up recently. Things are slow right now, in regards to this franchise, save for a few new music CDs coming out at the end of the year. I guess Sega is just saving up for next year, which will mark the 10th anniversary of this franchise's existance. They might have a few new surprises is store, so stay tuned. More to come on this as time goes by.

Years
    Unfortunately, due to licensing issues, and the expensive cost of this franchise, that will make a USA release quite difficult. Basically, no company has truly "stepped up to the plate", to make an effort bring this beloved franchise over here. But, all hope is not lost, though. Earlier this year, I read somewhere that Funimation has the English rights to this franchise, and also stating that, someday, they might just release the games here in the US! Whether this is really true or not remains to be seen. They currently have the license to dub the anime, which could be a step in the right direction. Only time will tell whether these beloved games come to the US or not, and even when that happens, what edits could be made, as there are Japanese cultural references that may not sit well with the US company localizing the games. I guess, as long as the games don't go through 4KIDS' style edits, which I fear the most, then the games in English might actually be bearable. It's a proverbial longshot, but, I really do hope this happens, so that more people will be exposed to this game. As of now, I rarely talk about this game in person, as most people that I have spoken to have never even heard about this franchise before, which is a shame. Obviously, there is also the issue of whether most of the US will even want to deal with this games' unusual gameplay, which is also another potential hurdle. Despite all this, I have a bad feeling, that, by the time these games get localized here, it may be too late, as the series would have moved on to a new direction in the story. I hope that this does not happen. I hope for the best. I pin my hopes on Sega of Japan and RED Entertainment to somehow persuade some US company to think about doing this, to finally give what some of us die-hard Sakura Taisen fans have been dying to see for a long time: an actual English-language version of this game, finally being exposed to the US, in all its glory.

Years
    As some of you can see, I truly love this franchise! I am a Sakura Taisen otaku! Too bad I hardly have anyone to share it with, since not many people in the Western world have been exposed to this franchise, unfortunately. I say this, since most of the other Western fans, have also said the same thing. At least the anime is being dubbed in English, but, for me, I choose to watch the anime in Japanese with English subtitles, which is what I try to do for all anime that I watch, if that's at all possible. Even on other message boards, I have tried to spread awareness to this franchise, and have watched as I seem to be talking to myself most of the time, which is all right with me, since I am just trying to get people's attention. The time has come, for me to finally post a picture from the game. Hope this helps.

View attachment 27529

Years
    Not much news to report right now. Volume 2 of the English manga is coming out in mid-December. Sakura Taisen 1 + 2 comes out in Spring 2006 for the PSP. Other than that, I guess it's time to focus on next year.

Oblivion Edgegirl Ayu

Rather Boring
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2007
    I can't wait for the next manga volume to come out!! I read volume one in the bookstore, and fell in love with the series.

Years
    The next manga volume by Tokyopop comes out in mid December. Yes, I like the manga, it seems to show some events in a different light, just like the anime. Tokypop's webstite has more information on when future volumes of the manga are coming out.

Hizuara

Tis the season to be jolly..
    Years
    latiasfan2004, you like.. double and quadruple posted.. Don't do that or you'll get in trouble.. If you want to add anything to your posts, click the EDIT button.

Yeah, I've heard of Sakura Taisen.. It's also known as Sakura Wars, right? I read a chapter of the manga, and it's good ^.^ The characters are quite pretty! I like Sumire and Sakura.. and the little girl is cute and funny too! The tall blonde one (Maria?) is one of my faves too.. I like Sumire and Sakura best though ^^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back