• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 Recalled [Update 10/7/16 - No longer for sale, discontinued]

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 6, 2024
    So samsung have invented the
    Spoiler:

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 Recalled [Update 10/7/16 - No longer for sale, discontinued]

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 6, 2024
    I don't think I've ever seen a flagship device killed off as quickly as the Note 7 has. But if it's dangerous for consumers, I can see why. The device was very promising with its specs, but the testing wasn't sufficient enough. They wanted to get the device out fast enough to compete with Apple, but in the end the speed was not worth the sacrifice.

This will hit Samsung hard.

Hard might not do it justice. Samsung as a brand (and not just Note) is almost synonymous with explosion right now and people are actively avoiding their products beyond the Note 7/smartphone stuff. Although Samsung is still 'too big to fail', this is also happening when Samsung had just managed to win back customers into the Samsung fold. This might be enough to send them way back that they could be looking at Sony's level in the near future.

Years
    No surprise the Galaxy Note 7 has been axed altogether following those exploding battery issues affecting what has been the entire line of the phones. Seriously, Samsung is going to be hit so hard by this since it's going to make them lose a lot of customers due to the bad reputation from this.

Apple having amazing sales figures lately in light of this was also unsurprising, and now with Google entering the smartphone market it appears Samsung will have to struggle even more to get customers back.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    doubting it's another Aparture Science Device

Hmm, if even the newer model of batteries are on fire, I really wonder how the Quality Control works now

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    *Note 7, not S7. The S7 is safe.

I guess perhaps Samsung is in the midst of working with retailers to remove and return/destroy any current advertising for the device and to send back the in-store demo units so they can be destroyed.

Yeah, I was still seeing ad space for the Note7 less than a week ago or so in an electronics store. Sometime it just takes a while for the ads to go away, even if they are not selling it.

A shame, really, as otherwise it's an extremely nice smartphone to have. Too bad it's unsafe.

There's a lot of warnings about the Note7 in airports and in planes, too. Bad PR is probably the best case situation.

Years
    Hard might not do it justice. Samsung as a brand (and not just Note) is almost synonymous with explosion right now and people are actively avoiding their products beyond the Note 7/smartphone stuff. Although Samsung is still 'too big to fail', this is also happening when Samsung had just managed to win back customers into the Samsung fold. This might be enough to send them way back that they could be looking at Sony's level in the near future.

People will forget soon enough. As a collective, we have short attention spans. Now would be a great time to consider buying some Samsung Electronics stock, as the Note 7 isn't the flagship of their roster (that's still the S7) and they have tons of other phones aside from the Note. Samsung isn't the first company to completely halt production and sale and issue a total recall on one of their products, that was Johnson & Johnson, and if Samsung Electronics has got competent management (which I've gotten the impression they don't), they have a road map (from Johnson & Johnson's experience with Tylenol) to even possibly being able to bring the Note line of phones back to market. This mass recall was the only correct move they could have made regarding the Note at this time, however.

Also, let's keep in mind that Sony Mobile's lack of exposure in the US market is self-inflicted, as they decided they don't want to play ball with the major carriers and have to make carrier specific versions of their phones. The Xperia Play was the only device since the first iPhone's release that was released on more than one carrier. Samsung has clearly demonstrated in the past that they've been willing to play ball and they will probably drive enough sales that they're still probably going to be able to not have to work with carriers to make custom variants of their devices for each carrier.

I'd like to note that fires like this are a risk we run with widespread use of lithium-based batteries.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 6, 2024
    Even with the product nixed, the Note 7 saga continues.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone Banned From All US Flights

I hope this will eventually make the stubborn people turn in their Note 7 already. There are surprisingly a lot of people unwilling to do so because it's 'the best phone available' and they also think that they're one of the lucky ones without an exploding phone.

Years
    Even with the product nixed, the Note 7 saga continues.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone Banned From All US Flights

I hope this will eventually make the stubborn people turn in their Note 7 already. There are surprisingly a lot of people unwilling to do so because it's 'the best phone available' and they also think that they're one of the lucky ones without an exploding phone.

If you know anyone personally who still has one, the Pixel XL or a S7 Edge should be more than adequate devices for those people. Just as large, the S7 Edge has so far not had the battery issues, and the Pixel XL is also likely to not have the battery issues.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    This makes me wish I still worked at Staples, just because the samsung rep comes in once in a while.

Grab a cig from someone then go over when she's showing someone the note 7. "Oh good I needed a light!"

Would make me feel better for all the times she shoved her stupid Korean products down my throat.

Back