• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Samurott and Greninja

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2014
    So the 5th gen water starter is basically a samurai...and the 6th gen water starter is a ninja....we all know that it is popular to place samurais and ninjas one against another. I just want to see did anyone notice that gamefreak did this

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Samurott's better....by, like, a mile. No doubt in my mind that it can take Greninja. Over half of its base stats (HP, Attack, Sp. Attack, and Defense) are higher than Greninja's. Plus, it can learn Megahorn, a powerful Bug-type move, which leaves Greninja, a half-Dark type, pretty vulnerable.

EDIT: Oh, thought this was a "who would win" thing. But, yeah, that is pretty interesting. Does anyone think it might be a "theme" among Water starters? Being based on different types of warriors or warfare? Blastoise is essentially based on a tank, Feraligatr and Swampert sort of look like Sumo wrestlers, Empoleon is based on Napoleon Bonaparte and the classical Western imperialist style of war, and, as the OP already said, Samurott and Greninja fit into that theme being a samurai and ninja, respectively.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Samurott's better....by, like, a mile. No doubt in my mind that it can take Greninja. Over half of its base stats (HP, Attack, Sp. Attack, and Defense) are higher than Greninja's. Plus, it can learn Megahorn, a powerful Bug-type move, which leaves Greninja, a half-Dark type, pretty vulnerable.

EDIT: Oh, thought this was a "who would win" thing. But, yeah, that is pretty interesting. Does anyone think it might be a "theme" among Water starters? Being based on different types of warriors or warfare? Blastoise is essentially based on a tank, Feraligatr and Swampert sort of look like Sumo wrestlers, Empoleon is based on Napoleon Bonaparte and the classical Western imperialist style of war, and, as the OP already said, Samurott and Greninja fit into that theme being a samurai and ninja, respectively.

While this isn't the point of the thread I would like to add that Greninja can learn grassnot and since samurott weighs 208 lb.s that means grossnot would be 120 base power. Greninja also has 103 base special attack to samurrots bas 70 special defense. Since Greninja easily outspeeds even a choice scarfed samurrot I'd say a specially offensive grininja could potentially ohko sammurot first turn (who is going to run specially defensive samurott anyways?) Just food for though.

Edit: obviously greninija has it's dream world ability in this situation (protean) so it will become grass type and will get STAB on the grassnot. If it's running specs or something I see no possibility of samurott surviving the first hit but I'm sure life orb would be enough as well.

Last edited:

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
    Greninja would win. it can learn moves to switch into most types. so samurott doesnt really have a chance, unless it gets lucky with a quick claw

Back