• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sandstorm/Trickroom rotation RMT

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2012
    This is my first attempt at a rotation battle team for the wifi random match-up (if you don't know the rules, please find them as I can't post a link :)) I haven't made this team in-game yet, and there is no rotation simulator, so this is all theory. All opinions are welcome, and if you notice any big holes feel free to point them out :)

Tyranitar@?
    Sandstream
    Brave (+Att, -Spe)
    252HP, 252Att, 4Spd
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Crunch
    -Fireblast/Icebeam

Tyranitar is my main lead as Sandstream won't activate otherwise. Moves and EV's are standard. The last slot is for grass/steels or grass/dragons, though I don't know how much damage they will actually do yet as I haven't finished this team yet. Typing covers Reuniclus dark/ghost weakness. Ttar is also my Taunt absorber, as it doesn't have to worry about it and can hit back hard.

Reuniclus@Life Orb
    Quiet (+Spa, -Spe)
    Magic Guard
    252Hp, 252Spa, 4Def
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Trick Room

Reuniclus is there to set up TR and them do as much damage as 'quickly' as possible. Typing covers Ttar fighting weakness. Psyshock has less power but allows to hit special walls harder. Magic Guard negates SS and LO damage. Typing covers Ttar and Excadrill fighting weakness

Excadrill@Air Baloon
    Sandrush
    Adamant (+Att, -Spa)
    252Att, 252Spe, 4Hp
    -Swords Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Rockslide
    -X-scissor

Excadrill is my sweeper when TR goes down. My opponment will likely not expect much use during TR, so if I predict a bug move aimed at TTar or Reuniclus, Excadrill can resist it and get in a Swords dance with ease. X-scissor is for grass types and Bronzong. His main job is to quickly clean up what is left after Tpowerful TR attacks from my other two sweepers.

Whimsicott
    Prankster@Leftovers
    Jolly
    252Spe, 252HP, 4Att
    -Taunt
    -U-turn
    -Leech Seed
    -Substitute/Cotton Gaurd

Whimisicott is my second lead. If I predict a taunt user I lead with this and get in a priority taunt then U-turn to Ttar. With Leech seed and Substitute and Taunt he can also help me take down walls. His typing also covers the ground weakness of other members of the team.

Other thoughts:
    Wifi lets you pick four out of six members, so in theory I still have another 2 team slots but can't see much need as of yet. I've thought of possibly a slow encore user to trap predicted set-uppers. I've ran a quick calc and Max Hp/Max Def Samourott can take a +1Outrage from a Adamant Haxourus

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Wouldn't Tyranitar be better off with Fire Punch or Ice Punch in the final slot? Only because its SpAtk is pretty bad compared with the Atk-boosting nature and EV spread.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • This is my first attempt at a rotation battle team for the wifi random match-up (if you don't know the rules, please find them as I can't post a link :)) I haven't made this team in-game yet, and there is no rotation simulator, so this is all theory. All opinions are welcome, and if you notice any big holes feel free to point them out :)

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sandstream
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    Evs: 252 HP / 88 SpA / 168 SpD
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast / Pursuit
    - SuperPower

This Tyranitar has multiple uses, set's up Sandstream, can set up Stealth Rock, pack a punch with a STAB'd Crunch attack and also do other fun choices! <: Usually this set comes with a physical option but this one does better.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Def
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spe)
    - Psyshock / Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Trick Room

Reuniclus is your amazing TR user, with a Quiet nature and no Ev's he reaches a nice 314, with added on 252 SpA Ev's he top's at a nice 383, along with the Life Orb boost, that's some scary power, Magic Guard let's Sandstorm and LO damage slide off. Psyshock for your STAB and only way to defeat Blissey, Psychic for a bit more power and to avoid Bulk Up users, I.e Conkeldurr. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast give you even more good coverage

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
    - Drain Punch
    - Bulk Up
    - Mach Punch
    - Payback/Stone Edge

Having Excadrill on a Trick Room team is pointless, \: I know he takes advantage of the Sand but TR make's it worse, Conkeldurr may not be the best replacement, but it's horribly slow and works well in a TR team. After a few Bulk Up's Conkeldurr becomes a horrible Pokemon, Mach Punch deals with frail Pokemon and finishes off weak Pokemon, Drain Punch is your main STAB, and your only form of recovery. Payback is to deal with Psychic and Ghost types who wall this set, with horrible speed it takes advantage of Payback's effect. Stone edge can be used for Flier's but not as good IMO.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
    Bold Nature (+Def, - SAtk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute
    - Encore / Taunt
    - Stun Spore / Toxic

Whimsicott doesn't need speed tbh, all of it's usable moves are priority, Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery can heal of annoying Sandstorm damage. Substitute and Encore can become an annoying stall technique which along with Toxic could be fun, Toxic/Leech Seed/Sandstorm would chip-away at the opponents Hp, whilst you're recovering with Leech Seed and Leftovers. Stun Spore is to cripple those sweeper's, but kinda works against the TR theme.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Trait : Trace
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    Evs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 72 SpD / 48 Spe
    - Thunderbolt / Discharge
    - Ice Beam
    - Trick Room
    - Recover

You need a second TR user, and who better than one of the bulkiest walls in the game, thanks to Eviolite. Along with a decent 105 SpA it can also pack a punch with the BoltBeam combo. Recover's obviously your form of recovery. Trace let's you copy abilities and you can even turn a battle around with it. I.e copying an absorbing ability (Water Absorb/Volt Absorb/Flash Fire)

Cacturne (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    - Seed Bomb
    - Sucker Punch
    - Brick Break
    - ThunderPunch

Now, you may see Cacturne and go trololol! But, don't overlook it so quickly, with a base 55 Speed it does well in TR teams, and it can sweep with the right support, sporting base 115 Defenses, it can tear down some hard foes, Seed Bomb is for your huge STAB, especially with Choice Band, Sucker Punch is your priority and second STAB. Brick Break can deal with Blissey and ThunderPunch handles Flying types. Sand Veil can also be quite good in Sandstorm.

My comments and suggestions are in Bold, this has become more of a Trick Room team than a Sandstorm team, however, Tyranitar can still support Cacturne, and whittle down the foes HP with Sandstorm.

Years
  • I'm liking your team and the idea of rotation battles (sadly i haven't gotten a game to try it on my own.)

Now, why not try running Sand Force on Excadrill? It grants the him the equivalent of a Life Orb boost in sandstorm to all his Ground, Rock and Steel moves as well as you can move all those EV's in Speed to his HP and Defense stats so he can take more punishment.

Next, why not try a Metagross set?

Metagross @Leftovers/Iron Ball
    Brave
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def (0 Spd IV)
    -Hammer Arm (lowers speed with each hit, not to mention 100 base power)
    -Gyro Ball (grows more powerful with each successive Hammer Arm plus STAB)
    -Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch
    -Ice Punch/Thunder Punch/Trick

Hope this helps!

Also, move those 4 EV's in Speed on your Tyranitar to something Like Def, Sp Atk, or Sp Def.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2012
    dragonomega, I don't know if you've played many rotation battles, but there is far less switching due to the ability to rotate. Therefore SR and pursuit are pointless as there is often only one or two switches, as rotation doesn't count. This also makes choice items far too restricting, as whatever your trying to hit can just rotate, then your locked in for a very long time as switching out a choice user is far too restricting when you can just rotate for free. Again, superpowers attack drops are very costly for the same reason, though I am considering brick break for extra coverage and the ability to break dual screen users.

I don't really want to drop excadrill. One of the main problems TR faces is the opponment stalling it out. Excadrill can take advantage of these stalls and continue to set up. In otherwords, if they choose to stall out Ttar and Reuniclus the pressure will still be on when they succeed in wasting turns because I now have a fast sweeper with boosted attack.

Also, whimsicott DOES need speed, due to all the other prankster users going around.

Thats not to say I havn't been taking on board what you have been saying. I have thought of conkledurr, though machamp may have a few other uses due to 100% accurate dynamic punches against evasion boosters in random matchup. Porygon 2 is another I had considered, mainly just for its walling capabilities, though it does well in TR too.

altaria221 thanks, I never thought of metagross. If I find space for another TR user, it will probably be him =]

Back