• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Saudi woman detained for defying driving ban

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
  • That goes against my personal morals, but it's a different culture. Things there work for them, it's just their way of life. Most of them are perfectly fine with it, and there's really not much we can do about it even if we wanted to do so. As time has shown, the more we try to meddle in foreign affairs, the more people want us out. If they change, it'll be from within, not from our whining.

Also, I think you should add a few more frowny faces. People might not think you're upset enough!

Years
  • But things obviously aren't working for that woman and all the others who don't like that ban. In general I want to respect people who are different, but when they don't respect others in the same way why should I? Not that I can change anything there, but at least I can voice an opinion for whatever it's worth.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Who are you to call anybody backwards? The Saudis have a completely different culture than we do. We're the backwards ones for judging other people's cultures based on the values of our own.

Years
  • Who are you to call anybody backwards? The Saudis have a completely different culture than we do. We're the backwards ones for judging other people's cultures based on the values of our own.
    Sorry, was that directed at me? I'm only saying that there are women, Saudi women with their own culture, who have a problem with whatever culture dictates that they shouldn't be allowed to drive. Not just one culture there, or at least not just one interpretation of it. It appears that they judge the ban as wrong based on their own values.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Sorry, was that directed at me? I'm only saying that there are women, Saudi women with their own culture, who have a problem with whatever culture dictates that they shouldn't be allowed to drive. Not just one culture there, or at least not just one interpretation of it. It appears that they judge the ban as wrong based on their own values.

One woman's belief is hardly a reflection of Saudi culture at-large.

Years
  • One woman's belief is hardly a reflection of Saudi culture at-large.
    Article says she's part of a campaign so there are other women (and men?) supporting her. I have to believe that in a ultra-strict country like Saudi Arabia there are silent supporters, too. It's hard to know how much is culture and how much is repression.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Article says she's part of a campaign so there are other women (and men?) supporting her. I have to believe that in a ultra-strict country like Saudi Arabia there are silent supporters, too. It's hard to know how much is culture and how much is repression.

You have a point; but it's still wrong to call an entire country's cultural values backwards because they are different than ours.

Last edited:

Soari

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    I don't know how I exactly feel about this but since Saudi Arabia has a highly conservative and religious culture, Sharia law is implemented and many people including polices, kings etc are heavily religious people and they strictly follow Islam. In Islam, women have certain rights and permission to do things that men don't, and men can do certain things that women can't. The reason is obviously because men and women are different; they have different needs, a different nature and they have different roles in the family, community, society and nation as a whole which is pretty obvious and clear to our senses. The reason as to why women should stay at their homes is mainly because that if a women goes out; it could lead to evil consequences such as: being alone, reckless mixing with men, being sexually abused by someone, losing modesty and committing actions which are not allowed in Islam and are considered haraam/forbidden.

In my point of view, I believe that it shouldn't be banned because If a women drives a car to sinful places it is her own sin, but for us to make it forbidden in general seems not right and further more, in cases of necessity such as women who have to go out for work and they don't have a husband, father, etc they need cars to travel to their work places and there could be extreme emergency cases too. Although, there are some means of transportation which I don't really consider them reliable. On the other hand, I can't really comment on the situation with Saudi woman as it's very different there and SA has it customs, Islamic laws, cultural norms and they should be respected nonetheless.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • At least they're allowed to live, unlike people like me who are killed on the spot (by the government) when they find out. :|

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    To the people who keep saying "It's their culture, don't judge" it would be one thing if people had a voice, but it's a dictatorship and only what the powers that be think matter so even if the majority of citizens didn't agree with it there's not much that can be done.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • This kind of thing really does upset me. I don't think that there will be a day when they realize that all people are equal. Including women. They see them as inferior. And they want to stay with religion, which more or less prohibits women from doing things that they want to.
    This kind of thing really does upset me. I don't like it when people make generalised statements about one religion like this.

To clarify, it's all about interpretation and culture. The Middle East has always been misogynistic, even before the advent of Islam. The way the Saudis choose to interpret the laws set down in the Islamic faith doesn't neccesarily apply to every single Muslim in the world. People need to learn that the Middle East are not representative of Islam.

Years
  • This kind of thing really does upset me. I don't like it when people make generalised statements about one religion like this.

To clarify, it's all about interpretation and culture. The Middle East has always been misogynistic, even before the advent of Islam. The way the Saudis choose to interpret the laws set down in the Islamic faith doesn't neccesarily apply to every single Muslim in the world. People need to learn that the Middle East are not representative of Islam.
    You have to admit it's pretty scary however when they (probably extremist) scream that they want saria or something like that, my lovely London T_T

OT:
    What did you expect from a country that doesn't care about marital rape? To give her flowers and say how good she looks today? (not sure how they look with those black things all over their bodies.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • There are actually places in the world that actually believe women can't drive?

Up till now, I thought that was just something bad trolls created over five minutes of herp chips and derp soda. You know you've done an awful thing when your trolling is not only unfunny to anyone that isn't on drugs but comes off as so stupidly obvious to people watching that they no longer believe such a thing could possibly exist in the real world.

Anyway. That aside, I think it's pretty reasonable to say the belief that women can't drive is terribly unfounded and should probably be disposed of.

Years
  • This kind of thing really does upset me. I don't like it when people make generalised statements about one religion like this.

That's essentially the gist of it. To Western Culture, this seems shocking, as it's so different from what we're used to, and especially since Islam is rarely understood for what it truly is in America/The western world.

Years
  • You have a point; but it's stil wrong to call an entire country's cultural values backwards because they are different than ours.
    I don't think it's wrong because it's different from mine. It's wrong because people within that culture think it's wrong. It's also pretty hard to justify going by international, cross-cultural standards.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I don't think it's wrong because it's different from mine. It's wrong because people within that culture think it's wrong. It's also pretty hard to justify going by international, cross-cultural standards.

I don't need to justify my culture based on international standards nor the standards of other cultures, and neither do the Saudis. There are people within my own culture who don't agree with all of its tenets, like there are some in the Saudi culture. That doesn't make it wrong just because a minority of members don't agree with something. You can't please all people all of the time.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    I don't need to justify my culture based on international standards nor the standards of other cultures, and neither do the Saudis. There are people within my own culture who don't agree with all of its tenets, like there are some in the Saudi culture. That doesn't make it wrong just because a minority of members don't agree with something. You can't please all people all of the time.
    But the difference is, if we don't like something we can do something about it by voting, people in Saudi can't, remember, women can't vote.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • This is one of those issues that I think will always keep people divided. I myself would be appalled to live in a society with such bans, though I must also admit the existance of people who would be appalled to live as I do here in Canada.

But having said that, I'll continue to be against it. It may be part of Saudi culture to not allow women to drive, or work in places where men will be, but it is part of my culture to think that that is wrong. But disrespecting differences is also wrong, so we have to be sure not to cross any lines.

Back