• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Save the dub? Here's what I say: KILL THE DUB!!!!

Shion

Uso da!!!
    Years
    Let me get this straight, in the most content, calm way:

I HATE 4KID'S STUPID DUB!!!

They just cut out completely scenes which are too 'inappropiate for children,' but which we see in any Disney movie that comes out! Like, in the scene where Pikachu falls off a cliff in the second Pokemon movie- THAT WAS CUT OUT! It's completely suitable for children and they cut it out! They sould name themselves 4babies, as another member once said.

Also, the dubbers want to Americanize everything in the show so that it would seem like a western cartoon, while it would cost less to just make their own western cartoon.

The dubbers completely massacre the movies. 10 minutes of footage from the fifth Pokemon movie was cut out, not mentioning the fact that they didn't include the short, which makes it 30 minutes that are cut out!! Have you seen some Disney cartoon movies? At least they know that kids have to learn about violence or peril sometime in their lives! 4kids is horrible!

And the part I hate the most out of all......
    The dubbers just HAD to release every single Pokemon movie on FULLSCREEN while they were originally in WIDESCREEN! That's cutting 1/3 of delicate, HAND-DRAWN artwork! And that's while everyone now is getting widescreen televisions, so those people (including me, and I bet, most of you) see only 2/3 of the artwork. THEY ARE SO STUPID!! Those artists took a lot to DRAW that art! It wasn't drafted with computers, it was drawn by hand! This is why 4kids is losing their money! They have dug themselves into the deepest pit imaginable. If they weren't such IDIOTS, this wouldn't have happened. The only reason you want to save the dub is because you are used to it. Get used to a new one. It'll probably be better. Better than 4kids, anyway, because it's hard to be worse than them.

So, my conclusion is this: Get a better dubbing company for Pokemon, one which actually respects the hard work put into the show and movies and reflects just that, by dubbing and ONLY DUBBING, not changing things STUPIDLY for an American child audience, because some adults like me want to enjoy Pokemon too!

Please, 4kids, die......

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2008
    While I do agree somewhat with your points, I have to point out that cliff-jumping scene in the second movie was only part of the trailer. It wasn't in the final movie at all. All the Japanese trailers have footage that didn't make it into the final release.

Kimicatdemon

One who randomly returns!
    Years
    DX woah..dude...calm down...*sits LLL in a chair and gives water* I see where you are coming from, an yes, I agree, but still..Don't you think changing the voice actors in the middle of the show is weird? Oo;;

Munashii

~kyoshoku
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Aug 8, 2008
    Maybe she meant 'have a new company or something like that dub every over'... I'm not sure, but I kinda agree with LLL-chan here. However, I think she overdid her point. The Pokemon dubs in English ARE butchered, but I don't think I'd write a whole three-page post 'bout it. Cool down!

snorlax_32

Snorlax master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 30, 2006
    i agree about 4kids cutting out a lot... and while im only 16 im not a child anymore and i do like to watch pokemon every saturday but i wish they'd have some sort of adult version of the pokemon episodes..so the charactors can express their feelings about each other *misty and ash*

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years
    *O___________O;;; at Lucifer's Little Lass* Lol, just kidding, heh. I know where you're coming from, though. Although...I actually did like the dub...FOR THE VOICES. I thought the voices were well done, in my opinion; and, the actors brought character into every episode. However, at this point where PokemonUSA/Cartoon Network is going to take over what 4Kids did, I say drop the dub altogether...because changing voices is going to KILL it as far as I'm concerned. After hearing the new voices in the "Mastermind of Mirage Island" special, my soul died that day, heh. ^_^;; I'd rather take sub over dub at this point.

I also want to point out that, since Pokemon does attract younger children as well as the hardcore, older anime fans (such as myself and many others O_o), they needed to...er, I hate to say "dumb it down"--for lack of a better phrase--to make it more Americanized for the English-speaking audiences...probably by what they think would be more entertaining in our culture as opposed to the Japanese culture. I agree, however, it's butchering what was in the original dialogue, and it does change a lot of what was meant to get across to any audience. Well, that was my theory on it. *shrugs*

And, of course, right in the first season I found it funny that 4Kids automatically had to make Ash and Misty "a couple" by creating "Misty's Song" on their first soundtrack. O_o; I thought that came on a little too strong with not just a little crush kind of a song...but it was like, full-fledged dramatic, lol. XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Lucifer's Little Lass said:
    Let me get this straight, in the most content, calm way:

I HATE 4KID'S STUPID DUB!!!

They just cut out completely scenes which are too 'inappropiate for children,' but which we see in any Disney movie that comes out! Like, in the scene where Pikachu falls off a cliff in the second Pokemon movie- THAT WAS CUT OUT! It's completely suitable for children and they cut it out! They sould name themselves 4babies, as another member once said.

Also, the dubbers want to Americanize everything in the show so that it would seem like a western cartoon, while it would cost less to just make their own western cartoon.

The dubbers completely massacre the movies. 10 minutes of footage from the fifth Pokemon movie was cut out, not mentioning the fact that they didn't include the short, which makes it 30 minutes that are cut out!! Have you seen some Disney cartoon movies? At least they know that kids have to learn about violence or peril sometime in their lives! 4kids is horrible!

And the part I hate the most out of all......
    The dubbers just HAD to release every single Pokemon movie on FULLSCREEN while they were originally in WIDESCREEN! That's cutting 1/3 of delicate, HAND-DRAWN artwork! And that's while everyone now is getting widescreen televisions, so those people (including me, and I bet, most of you) see only 2/3 of the artwork. THEY ARE SO STUPID!! Those artists took a lot to DRAW that art! It wasn't drafted with computers, it was drawn by hand! This is why 4kids is losing their money! They have dug themselves into the deepest pit imaginable. If they weren't such IDIOTS, this wouldn't have happened. The only reason you want to save the dub is because you are used to it. Get used to a new one. It'll probably be better. Better than 4kids, anyway, because it's hard to be worse than them.

So, my conclusion is this: Get a better dubbing company for Pokemon, one which actually respects the hard work put into the show and movies and reflects just that, by dubbing and ONLY DUBBING, not changing things STUPIDLY for an American child audience, because some adults like me want to enjoy Pokemon too!

Please, 4kids, die......

Well, I guess this fits your name...

Seriously, this is just a pathtic rant that has no business being here. I can't believe the thread is still open...

And the answer is quite simple: if you don't like the dub, then DON'T WATCH IT!! It's just that simple. Don't come here and start complaining about it.

Of course, now I must give you a warning: if I see you complaining about the PUSA dub when it begins and saying that you wish 4Kids was back, I will not hesitate to bring this thread back up and come after you for being a gigantic hypocrite.

(to any admins/mods: if you want to give me a warning about this post, then go right ahead, but I feel it all needs to be said...and the inappropriateness of it also pales in comparison to the above-quoted post)

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    A little over board are we? Still.

4Kids are not as bad as you think. I appreciate the hard work they do in order to bring us great anime hits from Japan. The only thing I hate from 4Kids is the horrible pun dub titles but I have to say they do great on the dub titles of One Piece.

The stuff with the movies is just buisness. That how they work.

I don't mind the VAs or anything but get this stright. The only reason why people are making a big deal over this is because they want to keep the old VAs. I do support the new dub as in only because to watch the Pokemon dub.

Please don't be saying hateful things about 4Kids dubbing. If you don't like them then just don't watch it. That simple.

Chelc

Years
    Uh, what are you talking about? The 4Kids dub may have made music changes and food changes, changed japanese text to english text, etc, but they weren't that bad. o_O; The original is pretty much the same as the dub with some edits here and there. The Pokemon anime is really directed at children [like the majority of people who watch it are children], even if we teenagers/adults do like it.

Sweet May

Custom avvie coming soon...
    Years
    4Kids > PokemonUSA

Have you even seen the Mirage special? Any way, 4Kids hasn't done so much to the anime besides some. Like Chelc said, the anime was made for children. Doubt they know that teens/adults watch it but still.

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
    Sweet May said:
    4Kids > PokemonUSA

I cannot believe anyone would EVER say that...... That is totally untrue, not to mention the reasons for "killing the dub" is absoutely silly.

4Kids no longer has ANY control of Pokemon whatsoever, infact they even closed a subdivision that worked on promoting it.

The mirage special wasn't great, but it was original and something PokemonUSA nor 4Kids has ever done before. So before you say "kill the dub" wait till you see Season 9.

PikaRom

The Punk Nerd
    Years
    Well, the dub means that they would have to ban at least 3/4 of the first movie considering how violent that is. Innaproprate for children??? Whatever you say, 4Kids.:\

Sumshine 904

PokéDork
    Years
    Over exagerate much? And there ARE some people who prefur fullscreen, like me. So, if 4Kids does loose controll of Pokemon and some other company takes over and you don't like what they're doing, BOO HOO FOR YOU! You're the one who wished for it.

Years
    Calm down girl and take a chill pill! Look, be thankful 4Kids is actually bringing this here. Everyone knows that 4Kids is notorious for mutilating anime but you don't necessarily have to take it out on us. Anyway, it's not entirely their fault. It's the young American audience to begin with because of their actions earlier on in the beginning (stabbing each other because of Pokemon cards, jumping out of buildings because they belive they can fly, etc...). But you do get my point right? And isn't the full screen to wide screen thing a little bit ... unecessary? I mean, sure it was hand drawn but... I'm sure it's okay to cut off, say a portion of the sky, and that's just it. Well, I hope you get my point. Also, changing the font size isn't totally necessary. If this gets out of hand, I'll be forced to close this or worse, give away warnings.

SephirothX

a.k.a. Shadomew
    Years
    I see what you mean, LLL, but that's not the dub. The dub is the actors that play the voices of the characters, whom I think should stay. What you're talking about is the English cut, which I agree is too chopped up. Calm down. *Hand's LLL a chillpill*
    Please, rant somewhere else, don't spam up PC....

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Its not really 'Save the Dub', its 'Save the VAs'... theres a difference. We don't wanna save the 4Kids edits and stuff....we wanna save the Voice Actors.
    Even though that didn't happen, and PUSA is officially using new ones, we still tried...

I do agree that 4Kids cuts out too much in certain series, but I don't think Pokemon is one of them.

Either way, Its not about 4Kids, its about their VAs.
    I could cares less who gets Pokemon as long as the 4Kids VAs are still there.

Granted, I know they're attached to writers and stuff, but they edit too much, so....bleh.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
    Whoa.. calm down.. yeah, it did sound bad about the things that 4Kids has done.. but it isn't really that big a deal, really. I mean, the main plot is still developed..

calm down.... wanna try meditating? lols :P

Years
    I praise our intelligent members, but I do think there is a rancor here. I think what I might do is make a civil thread of this instead and then go from there with strong warnings.

I'll let this finish out for the day, and then I'll make the thread and lock this.

Lucifer? Take a chill pill.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2008
    Out of the anime 4kids dubs, Pokemon is the least butchered. Trust me, even Kirby was butchered worse than Pokemon.

Skitty101

Crazed Advanceshipper!!
    Years
    Lucifer's Little Lass, you need to calm down. I mean the Pokemon dub isn't that bad. You should be thankful that 4kids dubs Japanese animes so we americans can watch it. :) I admit they do edit a lot from the origininal japanese version. Some edits are just pointless. And "killing the dub" is a bit harsh, seeing as it is kinda going down since Pokemon USA is changing the VAs.

Back