• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#savepokemon - nintendo are doing it WRONG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    the donald trump parody would've been complete if you went with #makepokemongreatagain as the hashtag, missed a golden opportunity there OP

everyone could use to calm down though like holy shit what is this

When someone says some concept is "ruining the meta", I just want to take a straight shot of vodka because it's a deadringer that the person has no idea what they're talking about.

ew don't do straight vodka do something decent if you wanna do shots

Anyway....I'm not sure how I feel about these new things they revealed. It's always hard to tell what these things will really mean for us until we actually get the games and play them. Is this a sign that Game Freak is really going to change the formula, or does it just appear that way? Are these really going to be positive changes, or will we end up hating them come the end of the year?

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • Guys, this thread is staying. I'm not going to delete a thread that does, at the core, promote a good discussion. You guys just have to GIVE that discussion. No more sarcastic snips at people, no matter what side of the fence you're on. You will be dealt with accordingly.

It's okay to have conflicting opinions on things -- it's how you express it that matters. Keep it civil, please.

Thank you. I intended this to be a discussion, not a flamewar.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
    Years
  • I mean you were never gonna get a good discussion when you started a thread with a sentiment quite as dramatic as this. Even people who might be iffy on some/all of the new changes are going to challenge someone thinking they're such a big deal that we need to create some sort of movement against them.

Anyway. Nope. Sun and Moon look cool. My only worry is that they might be trying to do too much at once, but all the features confirmed on their own are fine if not outright exciting. So, it's a sunny day.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • I was shocked to find out about the "no gyms" thing, but what's wrong with having a little variety? We've had the same story over and over again, to the point where it was becoming stale, so I for one welcome the island trials.

As for the Alola Pokemon, it's likely based on natural selection, like how in real life there are subspecies of an already existing species. For example, there are different kinds of rhinos in real life, such as the black rhino and the white rhino, yet they all belong to the rhinoceros species, or in scientific terms, the family Rhinocerotidae. In the games, we already had a small nod to natural selection in the form of IVs, which are the equivalent to Pokemon genetics. In real life, genes are passed down from parent to offspring, and any traits that the parent had will likely pass down to their children, enabling that individual to adapt to their environment and survive. That individual can then pass down their traits and genes to their own offspring and so on. In the case of the new Ice Vulpix, it's the exact same principle. It is a subspecies of Vulpix. The Vulpix and Ninetales that came to Alola had to adapt to their new mountainous environment. Through natural selection, a Vulpix that was born an Ice-type would be able to survive better in such a cold climate, thus it would be able to pass on the genes that made it an Ice-type to its own offspring, until it is eventually passed down to the whole population. If you apply real world biology to this concept, the whole Alola Form thing makes a lot of sense, and I don't see a problem with it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • This happens every generation. People are just afraid of change. Yes, it's new and strange and the Pokemon series is evolving in different ways. Accept it and move on.

And then when we don't get enough changes people whine about them too...

I did expect some changes when I heard them say at E3 that Masuda was no longer Director. Several people blame him for the perceived staleness of Generations 3-6.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I think the island challenges could be cool. I'm confused if gyms are going to play a part in this game at all or if the island challenges are replacing the gyms? It is a bit weird that they're changing original pokemon types, but it is just their regional form so it's not like they're permanently changed forever.

My only real issue is some of the new Pokemon are a little bland for me, but it's easy to ignore them and just stick to using the pokemon you're used to

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    It's not.
    I want a PROPER Pokemon game.
    No Mega, No "Alola Forms" , No Freaking Ice-Type Vulpix.
    I want a Pokemon game like Platinum or the originals.
    #savepokemon
    Then play Platinum or the originals. If you're honestly expecting Sun and Moon to be exactly like those games, then you're gonna have a bad time.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Ice type Vulpix/Ninetales is something I never knew I needed in my life, but once I saw them, I always did. There are so few Ice types I actually like... And even among those I do, Alola Ninetales beats them by a longshot. I'll even say that Alola Ninetales is a more appealing design than the original Ninetales. Alola Ninetales is sheer beauty, and I'm so happy we got it.

Years
  • TBH I think you need to move on.
    There`s nothing wrong with a fresh approach to the pokemon games. Its still a pokemon game but whats wrong with introducing new ideas to the game?
    I really love all the new features that are being added and its intriguing to see how island trials will work.
    Even though I love the Pokemon games it is true that the games are repetitive sticking to the same old formula.

If you dont like then stick to playing the old games or perhaps do what EternalSushi said.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • How did this become a hot thread, seriously -_-

These games are actually exactly what TCPi, Nintendo and GF need in order to #savepokemon. The strongest part of the fan base is the returning customers - genwunners and the like - as Pokémon Go's launch serves to demonstrate. Giving players a feeling of nostalgia and juxtaposing that with novel gameplay is a winning formula. Cheers to the devs and production team. May Gen VII be the very best, and usher in a new era of creativity.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2016
    The old games aren't going to disappear -- there are also plenty of fan projects and hacks that keep the old game style if that's what you like!

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    As someone that has been a fan since 1st gen, I'm quite interested in the changes in what seemed to be an unchangeable status quo in the Pokemon formula. It's a nice change of pace since unlike previous gens I can't even imagine how the progression of the game will play out.

Different does not mean it'll be bad, I personally think that 7th Gen will actually be remembered for being the generation that decided to take risks to stand out from its predecessors instead of doing the same thing with a new coat of paint.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back