• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

School Computers Suck!

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
  • At my school, the computers suck!

Here are the specs of the best one!

Dell Latitude 3340 series

- Windows 7 Enterprise
    - Service Pack 1

- Processor: Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30GHz
    - Ram: 4.00 GB
    - System type: 64 bit
    - HDD: 465 GB

Are your school computers bad?

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Mine are pretty decent I guess - although not the best. Will probs hit up some specs when I get to uni tomorrow.
    Macs that have decent amount of specs to render some pretty high quality files on Maya. The PCs that the younger first years use and Architect students use should be around the same I guess - but as many friends say - could defs do better.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • We bring laptops for my university, go us. I haven't even visited the computer lab over here yet. On that note, most of the classes here has a mac on the lecturer's table.

But really, nothing compares to my old high school's computer classrooms. The tables are the monitor omg. And no, not a desktop behind a glass. You can actually flip it upward and there'll be a monitor over there at the underside. The whiteboard is a sliding whiteboard with cabinets above and below, and behind it is really a huge monitor (idk the size ok?) which is fully touchscreen.

I"m not a techno whizz so I never got to fully utilize it, but my brother managed to link up his laptop onto the big monitor and tried it out whenever it was a break before computer class. No one else at school managed to, not even my computer teachers. Then again, their technology is mainly old desktop computers and laptops so of course this is kinda out of their league haha.

I have no idea on what its specs are but eh, it was installed during my final semester so heck if I don't know more about them.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I remember when I used the school's computer. their specs are meh-ish and of course, they would block [g]gaming[/b] sites

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I remember the computer pools at university running W7 PCs and while their specs where nothing to be excited about, that didn't prevent people from playing Skyrim on them, anyway. {XD}

Years

- Windows 7 Enterprise
    - Service Pack 1

Those are extremely good for what they do. The only thing anywhere close to appalling are those processor clock speeds and the fact that it's a Dell. They don't need to be any better since they aren't used for anything all that resource intensive.

Computers I support at my job for comparison:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro
    80 GB Western Digital Caviar WD800AAJS-60B4A0 (2008 WD Caviar drive)

And those are plenty serviceable for what most of the users at my work do, which is use the Office suite, use Adobe Reader, and use a web client, similar usage levels to what a school expects their students and staff to be using a computer for.

Blurryface

Cheer up, baby.
    Years
  • Our school computers are great. The only thing is all the restrictions and blocked sites they have. Other than that they're great. Oh, no 3D graphics. It sucks, really. Luckily I jacked an admin acc and updated it using the login.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years

- Windows 7 Enterprise
    - Service Pack 1

Bitch, please.

Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.00 GHz
    256 MB of RAM
    Shared memory for the video card (64MB)
    HDD: 60 GB
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 (not 3!!!)

That's what we had from 2005 to 2013. And I still have an old machine from 2002 with WinXP SP3 on it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    My school is really inconsistent. They have a bunch of rooms filled with fairly recent iMacs, yet they still have some Pentium 4 computers with old CRT displays here and there. The only ones I can't stand are the shitty netbooks in the library. They can take over 5 minutes just to log on. Completely useless, might as well not have them.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • As much as I complain about my school's computers I agree with Tsurtaja here, if it can run Office applications it's good enough. Still, what grinds my gears the most is the unoptimized resolutions. Everything looks much bigger and pixely than it should :c

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Back with the main computer at uni i'm using now:

- iMac OSX 10.10.3
    - Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    - Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
    - Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    - Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
    - HDD: 495GB

Like said, it's decent for it's job.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2016
    My school got new computers at the beginning of this school year. They're Macbook Airs.

11" 1366x768 display
    mac os x 10.9
    an i5 intel processor(dual core at 1.6Ghz)
    4gb ram 1600mhz
    intel 5000 graphics card
    128gb ssd

The school old computer specs:
    1280x1024 display - funny how the old computers had displays with more pixels
    windows xp sp3
    intel pentium 2.3Ghz
    integrated graphics(will never know specifics)
    1.5gb ram
    never checked the hard drive

Last edited:

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • My university has HP EliteOne 800's around campus all of them with Intel i3. Pretty good for all the software that's installed. If I remember correctly my secondary school had RM desktop all in ones with a mediocre Core 2 Duo and 1GB of RAM, just barely enough t run Photoshop CS4 on it.

Years
  • At my college's computer lab, they have Dell towers (the model escapes me) that run 32-bit OSes (compatibility sucks with some software) and 4GB of RAM. That's plentiful for League of Legends to run flawlessly, but I also think that the towers have powerful processors and GPUs to go along with that.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2019
    I tried to study Computer Science years ago in a technical college, and they had average computers. I don't know the specs since I never really checked. They're not bad, but at the same time they're not particularly special. The computers have enough juice to run softwares like Eclipse, Flash, Photoshop, etc. However, the bad part about these computers is the fact that they are filled with viruses. No one over there really cares about viruses until the computer stops working, so... just plug in a thumb drive and it gets infected. Everyone gets infected unless you have a Mac.

Now that I think about it... these computers actually work pretty well considering they're used by students to play Dota. I'd be busy writing code and when I turn my head to the right, there's no text editor to be seen. Such is the fate of CS classes from where I live—filled with students who don't really have a career choice, they only went for it because they had a passion for computer... games. The last thing they care about is passing. {XD}

I'm now studying medicine in a university and wow... their computers are amazing when compared to my previous college. They have the latest retina iMac everywhere from the computer room to the library. Overkill. I'm actually thankful that I have computer classes in medicine as part of our curriculum. I'm not supposed to *get* it since I'm already done with it from my previous college—and it should have carried over—but I wanted to take the class just because of these shiny computers.

I think the iMacs in the library has:

- 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
    - 8GB RAM

Last edited:

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • We here at work we have some really bad Fujitsu rigs we have to work on. They're basically Intel i5s with a 2.00 GHz clock speed (this is from memory, likely to be wrong), 4GB of RAM, some kind of meh video card some amount of HDD which is enough. This is all coupled with an unnecessary 64 bit version of windows 7. Now, they don't sound too bad, until you actually try and use them, and they take upwards of 20 minutes to log in, and run extremely slowly afterwards. Its not fun.

Years
  • As a CS student, I'm probably spoiled, since CS specific computers are pretty well stacked against the rest of the school:

CentOS 7
    Intel i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad
    16GB of DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GTX 750

Not sure how much hard disk these have, since our accounts are hosted on a different server, but we get an 8GB quota.

Years
  • When I was at school most of the computers had big holes, were scratched and covered with graffiti thanks to the large number of chavs that used to populate my school =p. Thats why school only buy crappy cheap computers lol

They call me Brandon Lee

don't u look at my girlfriend
    Years
  • work computers make school computers look like pixar in comparison, at my last job we had some brick that would crash so damn frequently and it was running an old version of windows XP

Back