• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scraping The Bottom of the Barrel?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I feel like Nintendo and Gamefreak are running out of ideas for {okemon. Zekrom and Reshiram are the first new pokemon I've welcomed since Hoen, and that's only because I specialize in dragon types. Does anyone else yearn for the carefree days of the Kanto region? Or the Orange Islands? The days when Pokemon weren't Yu-Gi-Oh cards in a little red and white ball?

TardisHobo

piranhapunk
    Years
  • I quite like some of these pokemon lately. >_< I used to say that about G3 and G4, but G5 is pretty good in my opinion. :)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Ah, the number of times such statements get thrown around... really it's a matter of opinion. Some people don't like 5th gen pokes, and some do, and it's the same case throughout the gens (even 2nd gen had people saying the designs were now suddenly unimaginative or the like). And one can argue there was 'scrapping of the barrel' going on in first gen (Diglett --> Dugtrio, Megnemite --> Magneton, or Voltorb the Pokeball and its evolution the upside-down Pokeball).
    And for fun:
    The days when Pokemon weren't Yu-Gi-Oh cards in a little red and white ball?
    What is then the definition of Yugioh creatures and Pokemon? I'd say that Pokemon are creatures made by Game Freak and called Pokemon, simple as that. I don't follow the comparision to Yugioh here.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Why you're comparing Pokemon to Yu-Gi-Oh, I do not know. I also don't want to know why.

I don't yearn for the old days of Kanto simply because they're still there. It's not like the games disappeared from the face of the earth or anything: if you had a copy of it (and you didn't lose them), it's still there. You could still play them albeit with minor hindrances (like battery problems etc). While the 1st generation is indeed nostalgic, it is definitely not the best generation in my opinion.

Gamefreak (and by extension, Nintendo) is not scraping the bottom of the barrel. Well, yes, the designs aren't as great as before but the newer games (like Gen V and HGSS) are pretty much solid themselves. I can understand their problems with designs since it's not like Final Fantasy in which they use the same monsters with few adjustments per game. Each Pokemon is unique--they have to think everything about one Pokemon, stats, Pokedex entries, colors, designs--everything!

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    Well, isn't this new and exciting.

Different people on the design team over time, different designs. Of course they're designed differently to what they used to be. Does that make them inherently bad? No. It just means they're going to appeal to a slightly different taste.

Gen 2 was my first game, and while its still my favourite journey, I do not believe it was the best. You shouldn't let the past rule you.

Ss4gogeta0

Game Designer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The days when Pokemon weren't Yu-Gi-Oh cards in a little red and white ball?

I get what your saying... but that is what happens when you milk a franchise for all it's worth...
    same could be said for Resident evil/Naruto (was never any good in the first place)/DBZ...

also... I only like gen 1-3... or the gameboy generations as I like to call em... the day they made Arceus and Darkrai was the day Pokemon in general, died...

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    also... I only like gen 1-3... or the gameboy generations as I like to call em... the day they made Arceus and Darkrai was the day Pokemon in general, died...
    Not really. If Pokemon died at that point, there shouldn't have been any fifth generation. But if by "died" you mean "did not meet my expectations" then I respect your opinion.

Ss4gogeta0

Game Designer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020

Not really. If Pokemon died at that point, there shouldn't have been any fifth generation. But if by "died" you mean "did not meet my expectations" then I respect your opinion.

sorry for the confusion... what I meant was "that was the day when I stopped caring for any pokemon related thing that has come out since then."

Just like Yugioh...

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    People always have to bash something. If you didn't have anything to complain about, well, that would mean Pokemon are perfect. And we all know Pokemon aren't perfect. Every generation has some design that you'll like and dislike, it just takes longer for some to eventually warm up to them. Believe me, when Gen IV first came out, I started thinking that the starters looked like monsters and there were too many darn legendaries. After a quick play through, I just kind of warmed up to them. It happened and that was that.

The same goes for Gen V. I honestly didn't like any of them and I boarded the "Gen V is the worst ever" train. It took a while, but I recognized that I actually liked some designs and that these Pokemon were also interesting. It's recognizing the differences that make them special.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    /Naruto (was never any good in the first place)

Hahaha. Amen.

I agree with you guys for the most part. There are a lot of unimaginative Pokemon in the early gens too. But they seem to be getting stranger and stranger. Come on, you can't say that Pokemon that's just a pile of garbage (I mean this literally) was a good idea? Hahaha. Oh Nintendo....trying to subtly make a statement about pollution. They say WE NEED MORE. MORE POKEMON!!!! WEEEEEE!!!!!!!
    :D
    And with that, I'm going to find something to eat.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Why you're comparing Pokemon to Yu-Gi-Oh, I do not know. I also don't want to know why.

other stuff here
    The new Pokémon (and /especially/ the legendaries) can be easily compared to Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh. Digimon because Pokémon are starting to resemble mechanical creatures or robots more and more (not becoming; resembling), and Yu-Gi-Oh because they are more like humanoids than they were before. Almost all of them are overdesigned imo, and have completely strayed from the original base-concept which was animals.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Hahaha. Amen.

I agree with you guys for the most part. There are a lot of unimaginative Pokemon in the early gens too. But they seem to be getting stranger and stranger. Come on, you can't say that Pokemon that's just a pile of garbage (I mean this literally) was a good idea? Hahaha. Oh Nintendo....trying to subtly make a statement about pollution. They say WE NEED MORE. MORE POKEMON!!!! WEEEEEE!!!!!!!
    :D
    And with that, I'm going to find something to eat.

The pile of garbage raises more questions and interesting theories than any Gen I Pokemon ever did. Imagine how we are now, how we're changing nature with our man-made things, such as frogs dying out because they're drinking birth control in the water and becoming sterile (it's a thing, look it up). Because of our man-made garbage, Trubbish and Garbodor came into existence. Are they harming the ecology of the region? Will they throw off the delicate balance of nature? Will some Pokemon lose their place and die out? Is it good to have wild Pokemon coming into existence in the middle of a city? Are dumps in danger? It raises so many interesting questions. Gen I didn't do that at all. If you think about it, they made this Gen way more interesting than other generations.

Years
  • I am going to disagree with you Toujours. You better be fearful of how terrifying my counter statement will be. It will leave you crippled for life.

Generation one had an excellent example in Celedon city. There is a small pond which you can surf in and only Grimer (and possibly Muk) could be found in that pond. You can talk to the person on the other side of the pond and she mentions something about due to the increase in pollution in the city, Grimer have made this pond their habitat. Something along those lines anyway.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I am going to disagree with you Toujours. You better be fearful of how terrifying my counter statement will be. It will leave you crippled for life.

Generation one had an excellent example in Celedon city. There is a small pond which you can surf in and only Grimer (and possibly Muk) could be found in that pond. You can talk to the person on the other side of the pond and she mentions something about due to the increase in pollution in the city, Grimer have made this pond their habitat. Something along those lines anyway.

But sludge isn't entirely man-made, so it's not assumed that Grimer/Muk were created by human waste like Trubbish and Garbodor. Sludge existed before humans did, there just wasn't as much of it. While a change in population can effect the ecology of a place, it's a much more drastic change for an entirely new species to be created, as it has no natural predators or prey in the food chain and may over-hunt other Pokemon or lure predators that feed on them to the city. Populations can change in a reasonable amount without having a massive effect on an ecology, but introducing a brand new species almost always has devastating effects.

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020

The pile of garbage raises more questions and interesting theories than any Gen I Pokemon ever did. Imagine how we are now, how we're changing nature with our man-made things, such as frogs dying out because they're drinking birth control in the water and becoming sterile (it's a thing, look it up). Because of our man-made garbage, Trubbish and Garbodor came into existence. Are they harming the ecology of the region? Will they throw off the delicate balance of nature? Will some Pokemon lose their place and die out? Is it good to have wild Pokemon coming into existence in the middle of a city? Are dumps in danger? It raises so many interesting questions. Gen I didn't do that at all. If you think about it, they made this Gen way more interesting than other generations.
    While that may be true, gen I Pokémon had some quite interesting theories about them as well, like Slowpoke and Shellder > Slowbro, and while they may be more simple than in gen V (that might even be a positive thing), seeing how that is like over 10 years ago it was pretty good. Also I've never thought about Garbodor threatening the ecosystem or things like that, I've just seen him as a sort of uninspired resort, they used almost everything for Pokémon now so they are resorting to things like garbage and icecream. sorry but rofl

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    While that may be true, gen I Pokémon had some quite interesting theories about them as well, like Slowpoke and Shellder > Slowbro, and while they may be more simple than in gen V (that might even be a positive thing), seeing how that is like over 10 years ago it was pretty good. Also I've never thought about Garbodor threatening the ecosystem or things like that, I've just seen him as a sort of uninspired resort, they used almost everything for Pokémon now so they are resorting to things like garbage and icecream. sorry but rofl

Escavalier/Karrablast evolutions were 10000x more interesting than Slowpoke to Slowbro. I'm not saying it was bad for its time, just that Gen V has much more interesting developments than Gen I.

The reason you haven't thought about it is because you chose not to because it's easier to say "they're not inspired" than to think about the backgrounds/implications of the new Pokemon. It's very telling even in the fact that you don't know that the Vanillite line isn't actually ice cream.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • Imo, everything will get a pokemon version of themselves sooner or later. I can't think of many animals they haven't made into pokemon yet, so other then slight model changes and recolours, what can they do? They go onto other things, odd objects you could find in every day life, and make them pokemon. In the end, think about it, would you at least want an attempt for cool new pokemon, or just clones of the old ones?

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020

Escavalier/Karrablast evolutions were 10000x more interesting than Slowpoke to Slowbro. I'm not saying it was bad for its time, just that Gen V has much more interesting developments than Gen I.

The reason you haven't thought about it is because you chose not to because it's easier to say "they're not inspired" than to think about the backgrounds/implications of the new Pokemon. It's very telling even in the fact that you don't know that the Vanillite line isn't actually ice cream.
    True about Karrablast etc, that's actually one of the things that I did like, but I also mean stuff like Magikarp/Gyarados, or Dragonair/Dragonite, being based on folklore and old myths and I just miss that so much in the new generations. I just personally prefer the folk-ish stuff more than the urban concept that Unova has. And I never bothered reading Vanillite's dex entry, if it's in there XD

awbbie

Ruin Maniac
    Years
  • Well, in my opinion, I think that the pokemon nowadays are pretty good. I think they should start moving into more mythological based pokemon tho.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Gotta say I enjoy the new Pokemon more than the old nowadays, granted some of the Gen 1 Pokes such as Gyarados and Alakazam reek of so much nostalgia it burns my nostrils nowadays but in all honesty I tend to like the designs and lore of the newer Pokemon a lot more than I originally thought such as that of Reuniclus and Volcorona for example to where I start to think they're actually an overall improvement over the older generations if you ask me lol.

Original design and competitive viability wise when comparing Gen 1 to Gen 5 though, Hydreigon rapes. Enough said lol.

Scraping The Bottom of the Barrel?

Last edited:
    Back