• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Screw this, I'm outta here.

pkmin3033

Have you ever been so frustrated by a game that you never want to play it again? Did you ragequit permanently, or come back to the game at a later date? What is your typical response to extremely difficult and frustrating moments in video games? Share your stories.

I've had three in the last console generation:

1. Demon's Souls. I couldn't kill Flamelurker. I could do pretty much everything else except kill this boss, even with friends helping me. I tried glitches, I tried leaving him for last; I even tried staying out of the way and leaving it to the other players. Nothing worked. I sold the game. The annoying part was that I found the rest of the game rather easy; it was just that one boss.

2. Resonance of Fate. This one I came back to after about nine months. I got stuck at Caligula - your resources are quite limited until you beat it; once you can start making grenades the game opens up a little...but grenades are in short supply before then - and I stashed it away and forgot about it...then I came back to it and blazed through it, with a couple of bumps along the way. But it turned out to be one of my favourite games of the last generation~

3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. I've deemed this an impossible platinum for me for one reason: the Ice Cream rhythm game. After about two hours of pounding away at Gummi Ship II, I've given up, and I doubt I'll revisit this game for quite a while because of it; it's made me indescribably furious. I expect I'll go back to it to finish the story, but words cannot describe how cheated I feel by this game. I shudder to think what the Japanese version was like if it was harder than what I dealt with earlier.

A close call for me, but one worth mentioning, was Marauder Shields on Insanity in Mass Effect 3. To come to the very end of the game, only to get stopped by THAT...I was not a happy bunny. It took me a couple of hours to get past it.

My usual reaction to challenges is to just persistently keep going until I eventually win...with plenty of cursing. Usually it's just a matter of grinding, or equipment and strategy, although if it's something like a minigame, or just a blatantly unfair boss stuck in the middle of an easy game, I'm just as likely to give up on it. I like balanced difficulty curves - the idea is that a game gets gradually harder, and doesn't just go from zero to over nine thousand in a single moment.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    There are some games I drop either out of loss of interest like Bayonetta or because it's ball-bustingly hard, like Streets of Rage 3.

Years
  • There aren't many games that I have put down and never gone back to after being angry with it, but this one game called Assassins Creed II royally pissed me off.

Basically, one of the first missions is to bring a painting to someone and the game had glitched to bad, that I couldn't pick up the painting, so I had to push it to the destination for about 15 minutes, before it got glitched and stuck in a wall. I have never been so frustrated by the game. Apparently they fixed it in a patch but I just didn't care at that point.​

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Every god damn roguelike ever. I always go back to them, but I never close out the game thinking, "What a refreshing and lifting experience. I'm in a much better mood now."

Remember how excited I was for The Evil Within? Yeah. Fuck that noise. I dropped it when I hit this building with a bunch of those invisible enemies. I haven't picked it back up yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. I found it surprisingly easy-going until I got to them. The first few weren't so bad, they were spaced out enough, but when there were like 4 in a row I just gave up.

More recently, Outlast has only been played in spurts. I'm terrible at stealth-anything, though, so I don't blame the game for my countless deaths.

And honestly, the Lego games are probably pretty high up on my ragequit-forever list, too. Granted that was a situational problem.. I've only played them co-op with my boyfriend - he's bad enough at puzzle games when he's sober, playing it drunk was a bad idea and I don't think I ever want to repeat that experience.. with or without him. :P

Yeah, there have been times where I have gotten frustrated by a game. Most recent one being Dungeon Siege III. I think it does not feel like a game in the Dungeon Siege series should. It feels like a Dungeon Siege game in name only. I am actually considering never playing it again.

Were you solo'ing it? Because I swear to god, DS3 is impossible to solo unless you're playing as Lucas as he's literally the only well-balanced character, and even then it's pretty difficult to play alone. The AI is awful.

And yes. It reminds me a lot of what Baldur's Gate looked like when it hit consoles. It's a completely different game from the previous installments -- but I thought it was still a lot of fun co-op, lol.

Yukari

Lot of games that are either insanely difficult, or that I get stuck on and no matter how hard I try I just can't make any progress. Like The Binding of Isaac, for example. But I've never permanently dropped a game.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Oh for real? That's a first lol. Thanks, I'll try it out.

Wow, Japanese version easier? :D That's something new :D

Yeah, I know it's weird. :P But Sega of America thought Bare Knuckle 3 was too easy and made Streets of Rage 3 incredibly frustrating. They also removed some stuff, like Ash, a stereotypically gay enemy.

Bare Knuckle 3 is actually close to Streets of Rage 2 in difficulty.

Night Watcher

Hotdog MAn
    Years
  • 2. Resonance of Fate. This one I came back to after about nine months. I got stuck at Caligula - your resources are quite limited until you beat it; once you can start making grenades the game opens up a little...but grenades are in short supply before then - and I stashed it away and forgot about it...then I came back to it and blazed through it, with a couple of bumps along the way. But it turned out to be one of my favourite games of the last generation~
    I've had that same experience a month or two ago. Luckily my cousins came over to beat it with me. But really the only times I do that is when I forget to save my Pokemon game and it crashes on me (Ex. Pokemon Ruby) and games that give me level up ranks and I lose to a level F-C. (Ex. DOA) It's really frustrating sometimes, but I always tell myself that rank sometimes doesn't even matter. On Pokemon, I just leave it collecting dust on my counter for a while until I want to go back and do it all over again.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Gave up on XCOM: Enemy Unknown a short while after starting it. It was a mixture of having games I wanted to play more, and just not being into what the game was. I might give it another try at some point.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Every time I lose a Killer Instinct match I (try to) rip my hair off and generally just scream (softly because I don't want to wake the neighbors).

I guess that goes for any other fighting games, though :p

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't think I have quit a game out of frustration. I was, rather, disappointed about Wild Arms XF being as difficult as it is, since I lack the patience for trial-and-error necessary to complete the story, although I would've liked to complete it. Lately, I've discovered that watching KV-85 players in World of Tanks is unbearable. Almost everyone playing that tank does so because they're tryhard scrublords with no apparent sense of map/tactical awareness (despite all the sector pings and "Help!" commands they spam) or penetration mechanics/armour usage. Sometimes they turn out to be surprisingly good players, but the operative word there is of course 'sometimes'.

Last edited:

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • Every time I play Etrian Odyssey and come against the final boss in each world I feel this way, but it's more of "I should take a break" vs quitting forever. A moment that still haunts me to this day is when I first bought the game and I got mauled by the Baboon boss in the first few dungeons >_> Also I had my ass handed to me by a giant kangaroo but let's not talk about that.
    That game is so hard and requires so much thinking/strategy sometimes it drives me nuts. I have to take breaks because some FOEs on the land maps are insane too and I find myself getting frustrated because I should be able to beat them based on my level but they still KO my party anyway.

Years
  • I think the last game I actually did ragequit (for a good long while) was...Final Fantasy 10.

That Sin battle near the end of the game. Good god. That fight alone made me put down the controller and not touch it for years. Only then did I finally come back, level my characters some more, figure out how to kill it in the amount of time I was given, and beat it. But too late, the damage was already done - I lost interest in actually finishing the game even though I was pretty much right there, and now I have little interest in ever finishing it.

I'm sure there are other games I've put down due to being a bit frustrated, but I usually end up picking them back up no problem (or if I don't, it's because I've forgotten about them - not so much because of anger nowadays).

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • The very first Zelda game. I first started out playing for around half an hour, and ragequit so bad because I couldn't figure out where to go. I remember thinking "Who the hell designed this?". I seriously thought that maybe the map was originally easier to navigate, but somewhere during production a dev corrupted the files. I'm no fan of super-linear gameplay, but that was abrasively annoying.

Four years later, I found a GameFAQ online to help me navigate. :p

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • There's a lot of times when I ragequit. I am easily angered, especially when it comes to stupid shit. Like playing Skyrim and you're level 70 and you're fighting a dragon and a giant together and then out of nowhere a fucking sabre cat paws you to death. Or stupid shit like the souls series. "I've been playing the game for a solid 20 hours practicing all of the advanced combat movements just for this." -sneaks up behind a black knight and then gets backstabbed by some faggot skeleton that chased me from all the way at the first bonfire somehow-

But I'll always go back, just so I can feel that feeling of pure rage again.

Back