• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scripting, Mapping, or Spriting?

Vladi

Vladi...Mapper/Poke insert
Years
  • Mapping because it's like you god you say where grass grows tress and stuff you get it.I really want to learn scripting but...i can't.

Years
  • Rookie

What I'm good at?
    I'm pretty good at making graphics, I'm good at making up stories, concepts and.. you know, a game, and I think at the moment my biggest strength is that I'm way too friggin motivated xD; I want to learn everything myself, scripting, mapping, texting, all of it :3. And I'm working very hard^^.

And reading everything the other people have written, I'm definitly going to search for thethethethe, sofar scripting is very confusing (though logical thinking gets you pretty far), so a good tutorial would be great!

School days again...
    Years
  • Well I'm good at spriting, I started this because I wanted to insert D/P Pokemon to GBA games so I read destinedjagold's tutorial.

Last edited:

CerOo

HeX EditoR
    Years
  • Hex Editing. Nothing is more fun then editing the rom from the inside ;]

Scripting (hex editing is scripting, but here I mean like XSE and stuff) is kinda boring... I rather use numbers~~ (hex..)

Spriting.. I'm not good at graphics. Same goes for Mapping.

Teknoe

The one, the only.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2009
    Spriting, I find it so simple because of the amount of practice i've had.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Scripting

I find the funnest and easiest of the three. People say scripting is so hard, but once you get the hang of it it is one of the easiest and funnest things to do. You get more satisfaction from making a fantastic script then from making a brilliant map or a fantastic sprite :P

Sweet Jasmine

s m i l e :)
    Years
  • Im good at scripting and in Mapping :D.. but well in scripting im just a little bit lazy in typing so it got some glitches XD >3 * sleepy *

-Yasumin

NatureKeeper

Uhh? Me? I began my hack on the believing that it was easy. I first began spriting, found out that I was a sucker. Then went mapping. Then trainer editing. Fine, now I'm learning Advanced Scripting. I've got 2 mappers to do all the work now :P. I'm still very young (11 years old :\), so If there's something would I get out of with much experience now is Scripting. And my sister says I'm pretty good at overworlding, but I kinda disagree... So scripting, because Spriting and Mapping needs some talent, which I miss. :(

Last edited:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • Well, being a bit of a noob, when it comes to hacking, I'd say mapping is what I do best. Then again, I also consider myself a decent spriter by now, having inserted over a hundred Fakemon in my Ruby hack.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2014
    As for me Ive always been an artist so Spriting is my specialty why I love it is cause just the thought of being able to change the character to how I like it and then watching it run and move is the most exciting for me, I also like designing things like their cloths sure Pixels make it harder but thats half the fun right there, trying to convey to people how you want it to look thru tiny blocks makes it challanging, besides if theirs no challange why bother doing it?

as for the other two, Sure Ive scripted before but that was actual programs in collage not games so it feels more tidieus for me instead of fun I guess I like to watch the picture change as I work lol

and for Mapping, honestly the only thing I mapped was RPGMaker for PS It can be fun but after a while that gets tidieus too though making signs to trick people or say something stupid was really fun!

Also...I noticed....there arnt many Spriters here are there? XD

Mr

Just call me Mister
    Years
  • I am a map guy myself. I found it the easiest thing to do and it is sorta fun as well. I didn't read any tutorials because it just isn't necessary for mapping (in my opinion).

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2010
    I prefer mapping, because I can do whatever I want. I'd also do some basic spriting if I could find something to edit the graphics with, currently I can only edit the OW sprites. I specifically want a graphics editor for FR/LG

ThePastaThrower

...Is adding extra meatballs..
    Years
  • My strongest skill would definitely have to be spriting. I don't know, I've always been interested in visual art and spriting is just simply FUN. You get to create unique art for your hack to become entirely your own. It's just a satisfying feeling when you get a good sprite done. It makes the hack more unique at first sight AND you can see the changes very clearly in screenshots.

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Well, I'm a pretty good spriter, I've been told, so that is what I end up doing. I also enjoy it as it brings out my creativity. To be honest, I did not learn my spriting skills from here, but from other boards related to Sonic the hedgehog, and not Pokemon. However, when reading Chesu's tutorial on Spriting, I figured I should get back into it, as I had stopped for a while due to "nothing to do with it when I'm done".

Back