• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scripting: PokeBattle_MoveEffects

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Hello,
    recently I downloaded the latest version of "Pokemon Essentials XP" and I tried to insert new move effects. Unfortunately, they didn't work because when tried to test them, simply NOTHING happend in the game. The idea was a move that should change the user's attack to 3 (150%) and I mean exactly 3! No matter which stage it had before.

Here is the code I wrote down in PokeBattle_MoveEffects:

Spoiler:

What could be the reason for this?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That code looks fine in principle. What you mean by "nothing happened" is up for debate - did the move otherwise execute normally but there was no message/stat up animation/stat change, or did the game freeze, or was that move skipped over?

All I can guess, from what information you've provided, is that you haven't given the move that function code in moves.txt. Well, that or you didn't return 0 at the end of the def (it's probably important to do so). I'm sure you're comparing your code to PokeBattle_Move_01F, which is similar.

Perhaps you should improve your code by checking the Speed stage before the change, and either stat up, stat down (drastically/sharply/normally for both) or do nothing depending on the value.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    The move was just skipped over. There was neither an animation a stat-up nor a text.
    I've implemented "return 0" but still there is no change.

Here is the move I tried out:
    Spoiler:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    When adding your own function codes, start with PokeBattle_Move_133, because Shadow moves use up 126-132. You should do this even if you don't use Shadow moves, because they're already defined.

I used exactly your code (albeit with code 133), and it worked for me. I don't know why it isn't for you.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I've tried it again with different numbers and now it works fine! Thanks ;)

Another question: The window of the Essential Kit is pretty huge. How can I change the window size and i do not mean the screenwidth! I searched for some hints in the script but i didn't find any. The window size should just be a smaller one so the the graphic is more defined.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean the zoom factor to make it overall smaller (and less pixellated), that setting is right next to the screen size settings in the scripts. It's the difference between 480x320 and 240x160.

If you meant something else, please clarify.

Back