• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Secondary effects of Poison-type moves

Years
    In the Pokémon games, Poison type moves have a secondary effect of Poisoning the target (either normal poison or bad poison) or lowering of some some of the opponent's stats.

However in the real world poisons can have varied effects which could be better explained by other status conditions.
    Many venomous animals use their venom to paralyse their victims. Corrosive toxins (see moves Acid/Acid Spray) cause burns. Neurotoxins can cause convulsions or hallucinations (Confusion).

These should be reflected in secondary effects of Poison type moves. It would be great to have some variety in the secondary effects that they produce, instead of the same old posioning effect.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    So far for paralyzing there is Thunder Wave (Electric), Glare (Normal) and Stun Spore (Grass). It would have been cool if one of them was a poison attack.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    That would be awesome but the Poison-type is already connected to the Poisoned condition and I think GF won't make Poison-type moves which inflict other status conditions instead of the poisoned one, since we already have other moves to do that.

Years
    It would work, but Poison type has already been established as inflicting Poison which can be interpreted in many ways.

That would be awesome but the Poison-type is already connected to the Poisoned condition and I think GF won't make Poison-type moves which inflict other status conditions instead of the poisoned one, since we already have other moves to do that.

Yes but that makes it a bit monotonous. Poison is already a terrible attacking type so adding a few moves with different effects could help. I don't see any reason why Poison type moves should only cause poisoning and not paralysis or burn. Poison status itself does nothing other than reducing HP per turn. Anyways I don't think GameFreak would do this, but it would be great if they did. Maybe they should look into effects of poisons in the real world.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    Yes but that makes it a bit monotonous. Poison is already a terrible attacking type so adding a few moves with different effects could help. I don't see any reason why Poison type moves should only cause poisoning and not paralysis or burn. Poison status itself does nothing other than reducing HP per turn. Anyways I don't think GameFreak would do this, but it would be great if they did. Maybe they should look into effects of poisons in the real world.

I can agree with you. I don't use Poison types just because they aren't THAT useful, and I do prefer causing paralysis or confusion instead of the poison status. I think they need a buff of some sort. Even though the introduction of the Fairy-type has helped the Poison-type Pokémon being more useful, you still have the Steel-type :/ And, as I already said, I doubt GF would make poison-type moves inflict other status than the Poison status, basically because Poison is already connected to the Poison condition :/

Years
    I understand the reasoning and personally I agree that some Poison type moves should paralyze an opponent. Despite this I don't think it will happen as poison types and moves have been associated with poisoning their target which is unfortunate because it would be cool to see a different secondary effect of a poison type move.

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
    It'd be nice though if they at least made more varying degrees of Poison beyond just two. There's Toxic Spike poison and Bad Poison, why not make just a normal Poison which takes 3% per turn? Or one that automatically cures after a number of turns, but saps 9% per turn? There is so much potential for Poison beyond Spikers, it's just a matter of GF making the decision to add those layers of complexity.

I do certainly agree, though, that making Poison-type moves inflict BRN or PRZ is stupidly imbalanced.

Years
    I feel it wouldn't be so outrageous if there was a move like that, given that it clearly specified in the move description that it did indeed paralyse over poisoning. Might be neat if the status condition was random too

Back