• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Seeking advice on new OU Team

Years
    Hi everyone. Major here with another team for everyone to look at. This team is filled with Pokémon I bred on Y and I hoping to seek some advice on what should I do to make them better:

Kitana (Female Espeon)
    Nature: Naïve
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    Item: Red Card
    EVs: 36HP; 64DEF; 100SPA; 56SPD; 252SPE
    Moves: Psyshock, Dazzling Gleam, Calm Mind, Reflect

Priscilla (Female Dragonite)
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Multiscale
    Item: Weakness Policy
    EVs: 60HP; 180ATK; 76DEF; 76SPD; 116SPE
    Moves: Dragon Claw, Extreme Speed, Dragon Dance, Roost

Hanzo (Male Greninja)
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Protean
    Item: Assault Vest
    EVs: 60HP; 72DEF; 168SPA; 48SPD; 160SPE
    Moves: Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Extrasensory, U-Turn

Seraph (Male Volcarona)
    Ability: Flame Body
    Item: Rocky Helmet
    EVs: 36HP; 56DEF; 148SPA; 16SPD; 252SPE
    Moves: Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance, Psychic, Quiver Dance

Prince (Male Sylveon)
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Pixilate
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 240HP; 252DEF; 16SPE
    Moves: Echoed Voice, Psyshock, Calm Mind, Wish

Nova (Male Charizard)
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Solar Power/Drought
    Item: Charizardite Y
    EVs: 12HP; 56DEF; 200SPA; 240SPE
    Moves: Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Solar Beam, Dragon Pulse

So there you have it. A team that took exactly two months to breed has finally come together. I am open for any suggestions on how to improve this team

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Espeon's only viable role is a Dual Screener. It's outclassed by other Psychic Pokemon like Alakazam, Speed Deoxys, Mega Gardevoir and Lati@s because they have better coverage options:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Yawn
    -Psychic/Psyshock/Baton Pass
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Light Clay

I don't get what Dragonite's EVs achieve here. Just use max Attack/max Speed so that Dragonite can hit hard even without setting up. Also, it's currently walled badly by Steel Pokemon:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Extreme Speed
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry

or
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Extreme Speed
    -Roost
    EVs: 216 HP/44 Atk/228 SDef

Again, what's with Greninja's EV spread? It's very frail and not even defensive investment can save it. Use 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe, aka the standard special sweeper spread. U-turn doesn't really let Greninja accomplish much, since scouting can be done with team preview:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Extrasensory
    -Dark Pulse/Hidden Power (Fire/Grass)/Grass Knot/Spikes
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Protean

The EVs and nature of Greninja also apply to Volcarona. Also, Life Orb/Lum Berry > Rocky Helmet; Volcarona can't really abuse the item well.

Sylveon needs Hyper Voice over Echoed Voice; that move is a tutor move from B2/W2:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Hyper Voice
    -Heal Bell/Calm Mind
    EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SDef

Change Charizard's EVs to 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe. And I also noticed you lack strong physical attackers, so you can consider Charizard X:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz/Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/152 Atk/108 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake/Roost
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe

or
    -Fire Punch/Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/140 SDef/120 Spe

Let me ask you this: where/how did you come up with your EV spreads? To me, they're just all over the place.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    When you do an EV spread, you really don't want to spread it out among all six of the stats, because you're not really investing in the Pokemon's particular strengths. EVs also should depend on the role of the particular Pokemon. Most EV spreads will be spread out into only 2 or 3 stats.

Years
    Roost>dragon pulse on zard y
    clef does cm better
    greninja ev spread is strange
    Also it should be lo
    volc sucks now, so does psychic on it use giga drain or hurricane on it

tl;dr

heatran ♥♥♥♥s ur ♥♥♥♥

Years
    I can most definitely answer your question:

The EV spreads were designed to ensure they can take an extra hit or two while wearing my opponent down.

Kitana's moveset will be changed again. The Dual Screener set is a good idea if only I had a Pokémon that knew Yawn (egg move I know..).

I might change Priscilla's EVs to level out her defenses. Her moveset literally wrecks EVERYTHING after a Dragon Dance with Weakness Policy activated.

You're right about Hanzo. He needs a MAJOR makeover because Nova(Charizard) outspeeds him, which took me by surprise.

I see nothing wrong with Seraph at all. Just gotta watch them rocks and birds..

Prince is a BEAST!!!!! His EVs are fine but since Hyper Voice & Heal Bell are B2W2 tutor moves, they're inaccessible. Might get rid of Psyshock for something else.

Nova is still a W.I.P... I'm still experiencing with him since he got a load of egg moves.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I can most definitely answer your question:

The EV spreads were designed to ensure they can take an extra hit or two while wearing my opponent down.

Kitana's moveset will be changed again. The Dual Screener set is a good idea if only I had a Pokémon that knew Yawn (egg move I know..).

I might change Priscilla's EVs to level out her defenses. Her moveset literally wrecks EVERYTHING after a Dragon Dance with Weakness Policy activated.

You're right about Hanzo. He needs a MAJOR makeover because Nova(Charizard) outspeeds him, which took me by surprise.

I see nothing wrong with Seraph at all. Just gotta watch them rocks and birds..

Prince is a BEAST!!!!! His EVs are fine but since Hyper Voice & Heal Bell are B2W2 tutor moves, they're inaccessible. Might get rid of Psyshock for something else.

Nova is still a W.I.P... I'm still experiencing with him since he got a load of egg moves.

I still fail to see why your EVs are so haphazardly spread the way they are. Greninja is still frail even with defensive investment. So is Espeon and Charizard Y (on the physical end). Charizard Y already has decent special bulk, so there's no need to invest in those areas.

Another thing about your Pokemon's EV spreads: you're seriously squandering their ability to hit as hard as they can and outspeeding stuff. Ex: Greninja's Speed of 122 is good and lowering Speed investment is bad. As a general rule of thumb, sweepers use max Speed and max offensive stat of choice. Mixed attackers sometimes have their offensive EVs reconfigured to achieve certain KOs. For defensive Pokemon, they generally use max HP and max defensive stat of choice; some use mixed defensive EVs to avoid certain KOs and some even use Speed EVs to outspeed certain walls or tanks.

As for why I chose that EV spread on the second Dragonite set:'it gives Dragonite optimal special bulk while giving it some power. For the Dragon Dance set, max Attack and Speed are preferred so that Dragonite can hit hard even if it's forced to attack without setting up. It also gives Dragonite more power and Speed post-DD. Multiscale already gives Dragonite a defensive buffer at full health.

Years
    I still fail to see why your EVs are so haphazardly spread the way they are. Greninja is still frail even with defensive investment. So is Espeon and Charizard Y (on the physical end). Charizard Y already has decent special bulk, so there's no need to invest in those areas.

Another thing about your Pokemon's EV spreads: you're seriously squandering their ability to hit as hard as they can and outspeeding stuff. Ex: Greninja's Speed of 122 is good and lowering Speed investment is bad. As a general rule of thumb, sweepers use max Speed and max offensive stat of choice. Mixed attackers sometimes have their offensive EVs reconfigured to achieve certain KOs. For defensive Pokemon, they generally use max HP and max defensive stat of choice; some use mixed defensive EVs to avoid certain KOs and some even use Speed EVs to outspeed certain walls or tanks.

As for why I chose that EV spread on the second Dragonite set:'it gives Dragonite optimal special bulk while giving it some power. For the Dragon Dance set, max Attack and Speed are preferred so that Dragonite can hit hard even if it's forced to attack without setting up. It also gives Dragonite more power and Speed post-DD. Multiscale already gives Dragonite a defensive buffer at full health.

I see where you're coming from. I just compared the EVs from your suggestive spreads to my current spreads and tjey are outclassed in a sense. Got some spreads to take care and changes to be made..

Hoenn_Waters

Is patiently waiting for ORAS
    Years
    Also you have Char Y that has drought, while it's good to benefit power from the sun, this makes it hard for your Greninja to revenge kill because his water attacks are weakened, assuming your Greninja IS a revenge killer. Replace it with something that can benefit everyone

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Also you have Char Y that has drought, while it's good to benefit power from the sun, this makes it hard for your Greninja to revenge kill because his water attacks are weakened, assuming your Greninja IS a revenge killer. Replace it with something that can benefit everyone

The main purpose of Charizard Y's Drought is to aid in its wallbreaking ability by boosting Fire Blast's power to dangerously high levels. The other team members don't really have to benefit from it and besides, Greninja's Protean means it can opt not to use Hydro Pump as its STAB while the sun is out.

Years
    Hi. I've made some changes to my OU team and here are the results:

Name: Selina (Female Goodra)
    Item: Wise Glasses
    Ability: Gooey
    EVs: 200 HP, 48 Def, 216 SpA, 44 SpD
    Moves: Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast, Ice Beam, Acid Armor

Name: Jade (Female Whimsicott)
    Item: Red Card
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 132 HP, 136 Def, 216 SpD, 24 Spe
    Moves: U-Turn, Encore, Leech Seed, Toxic

Name: Orchid (Female Sylveon)
    EVs: 252 HP, 244 Def, 12 Spe
    Moves: Swift, Baton Pass, Calm Mind, Wish

Name: Mileena (Female Espeon)
    Item: Light Clay
    EVs: 16 HP, 20 Def, 200 SpA, 4 SpD, 248 Spe
    Moves: Psyshock, Light Screen, Reflect, Yawn

Name: Nova (Male Charizard)
    Item: Charizardite Y
    Ability: Solar Power/Drought
    EVs: 12 HP, 56 Def, 200 SpA, 240 Spe
    Moves: Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Solar Beam, Air Slash

Name: Priscilla (Female Dragonite)
    Item: Weakness Policy
    EVs: 56 HP, 244 Atk,; 56 Def; 16 SpD; 136 Spe
    Moves: Dragon Claw, Extreme Speed, Dragon Dance, Roost

Once again, I lack physical attackers and have random EV spreads. The team works together, not one takes all the glory and sweeps teams left and right unless the opponent sets themselves up for one..

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Wise Glasses usually isn't worth it on a Pokemon. Goodra makes for a decent special tank because of its great special bulk combined with an Assault Vest:

-Goodra w/Assault Vest
    Ability: Sap Sipper/Gooey
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 4 Defense
    Moves: Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt/Sludge Bomb

Whimsicott looks ok, but a simple EV spread of 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Defense will do here.

Espeon is better than Sylveon as a Baton Passer because of Magic Bounce. Wish Support Sylveon should have Heal Bell and Protect in place of Calm Mind and Baton Pass to fulfill its support role better. Swift is a bad move no matter how you look at it, even with Pixilate. Hyper Voice is preferred for the raw power and ability to ignore Substitutes.

If you're gonna keep Espeon as a dual screener, the EV spread should be 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Defense. If you decide to switch it to a Baton Passer, try something like this:

-Espeon w/Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
    Moves: Baton Pass, Calm Mind, Substitute, Psychic

252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense is the way to go on Mega Zard Y, to maximize its offensive prowess. Those other EVs won't save it from much really. Dragon Pulse or Roost is better than Air Slash, as STAB Fire Blast (even without the sun) hits Fighting types harder, and Fire is already supereffective against Grass and Bug types.

Same deal for Dragonite. 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.Defense gives it maximum offensive power. Multiscale basically guarantees that it'll get a Dragon Dance off (and a Weakness Policy boost too). Just watch out for Ice Fangs from Mega Gyaradoses.

And like you said, the team is rather specially inclined. I'd drop Goodra from the team, because it lacks good recovery and lacks the raw firepower of Mega Zard Y and Dragonite, not to mention that its gives you another Dragon, Fairy, and Ice weakness.

Consider Skarmory as a replacement; it gives you a physical wall and phazer (which the team could use), and is a Defogger, which the team needs because of Dragonite and Charizard. It can also set hazards for you if you wish, and helps with Dragon and Fairy weaknesses:

-Skarmory w/Leftovers or Rocky Helmet
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 248 HP, 252 Defense, 8 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Roost, Whirlwind, Defog, Stealth Rock/Brave Bird

Years
    So Skarmory is who I really need... Time to get back to breeding...

UPDATE: I just got a new Skarmory and this is what I got:

Name: Smoke (Male Skarmory)
    Ability: Sturdy
    Nature: Impish
    IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
    Moves Born With: Peck, Brave Bird, Stealth Rock, Whirlwind

Couldn't get Defog due to the move being a B2W2 move. I plan on getting of Peck for Roost. I found a Skarmory with Stealth Rock and Brave Bird and bred it with my Ditto first for the IVs. A female with Impish happen to hatch and I used her to breed with another Skarmory who had 5 31s. All that took about 20-25 eggs..

Last edited:
    Back