• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Selfishness vs Selflessness

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • There are some of us who will do anything for others - or at least a lot - more often than not at their own expensive or sacrifice. In contrast, there are others of us who are more self-oriented, and look after themselves THEN others.

Which are you?
    Do you dip more toward a selfless person, or a selfish person?
    Is it dangerous to overindulge in either; perhaps it's safer to be a mix of both?

Discuss!

*Don't think selfish is necessarily a bad thing!

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • It's not so much selfishness against selflessness as it is selfishness against sociability. All selflessness in humans comes from the want to be accepted by others, and since most everyone wants selflessness out of others out of an (oddly) selfish root, you get selflessness. We'd probably be gone a long time ago without that.

I don't think I'm that different from others in that I try to be selfless for acceptance.

pkmin3033

I'm quite happy to admit that my motivations in life are entirely selfish.

That doesn't mean that I'm not willing to do things for other people, but I'm honest enough to realize that if I didn't get anything out of it at all - even if it's something as simple as a good feeling that I could just as easily do without or get more easily from doing something else - then I probably wouldn't do it. In everything I do, there is always SOMETHING in it for me. Maybe I don't immediately think of it, and maybe it isn't always my primary motivation, but there is always that factor in there, so nothing I do is ever selfless.

I think it is bad to disregard the potential impact and consequences your selfish actions may have on others, but I don't think it's bad to be entirely selfish. You can be selfish AND considerate, and you can do things primarily for yourself that also benefit other people. It's all a question of balance...and common sense. I think attempting to be selfless is actually far more dangerous - if you don't put yourself first in your life, who will? If you have someone else you feel you can rely on to put you first in their life - a partner, relative, friend or whoever - then perhaps it isn't quite so dangeous, but I would call that level of trust in another person dangerous and naive. Put yourself first, get your own affairs in order, and then worry about others when you have time for it. It's selfish, but it's also practical, and you can bet pretty much everyone else will be doing the exact same thing.

I don't believe the concept of selflessness is one that can be applied to humanity. Call me a cynic or whatever, but there it is. My view of humanity in general is not a positive one.

Elite Four Grimsley

flipping the coin of fate
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    It's not so much selfishness against selflessness as it is selfishness against sociability. All selflessness in humans comes from the want to be accepted by others, and since most everyone wants selflessness out of others out of an (oddly) selfish root, you get selflessness. We'd probably be gone a long time ago without that.

I don't think I'm that different from others in that I try to be selfless for acceptance.

So are you saying that in the end, selflessness is essentially selfishness?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Like Alex, I don't think they're that separated. Came to this conclusion last year. I care about others or try to be helpful or whatever else because I want to, which is selfish.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Definitely more selfless. I'll go out of my way for others and even sometimes to my own detriment. It's part of a new year's resolution to be more selfish tbh. Do stuff that I want to do instead of always compromising for others.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I think it varies. I couldn't really say because I never pay attention. I do have moments where I do things for others. I love helping people and what not. Then I do have times when I can be a bit selfish and such... so both?

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Selfish is a bit negative but I can't think of a better word so w/e. You can think of yourself while still being selfless like, the two aren't really mutually exclusive. It's about when it's appropriate, like putting others before yourself when it's appropriate etc. You aren't one thing anyway. Acts are selfish or selfless, everyone can do that. I think selfless acts are really important.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    My opinion on this one is a little weird, to be honest. On one hand, I would describe myself as more selfless - yet I'd also say the opposite.
    Call me a pessimist, but I personally feel that true selflessness isn't really possible - and it's all about the direction of our selfishness. Allow me to explain: I believe that 'selfless' acts come from an individual's own desires - whether that be to directly act in a selfless manner, or indirectly be made to act in a selfless manner due to a conflict of interests.
    To use myself as an example: I have this innate desire to help anyone who appears to be even remotely distressed. This desire would make the apparently selfless act (helping person [xyz]) technically selfish, would it not? It's just that my selfish part was directed at somebody else - with my reward being that I satisfied my personal desire. Equally, 'selfish' people have desires that primarily benefit themselves rather than others.

Regardless, so long as people have a balance of intrapersonal and interpersonal that they percieve as healthy for themselves I don't think it really matters about who does what for whom.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    For me, the term "self-centered" applies more so than selfish. Self-centered without being narcissistic, which is relatively harmless. I realized this not too long ago, but I used to condemn myself for my nature. To think that I didn't care about anyone because of how self-centered I am. Why does society have to place a taboo on something that is quite obviously natural? It can be bad like anything else if there is an excess, and it does not need to be condemned. If we were all more honest with ourselves and the traits that make up human nature, I believe this would be a better world. It is not a bad thing to care about oneself, and learning to love myself is something that I'm doing right now through extensive therapy. But I digress.

I have spent most of my childhood engrossed in my own mental landscape, with little of anyone else to care for. My self was and is my center. Hence my usage of that word. It caused me to develop a heavy self-preservation impulse, and caused my entire ego to expand into the size of the worlds that I created. That's not to say that I'm egotistical in the traditional sense. It is just that I find it very difficult to understand others and their emotions, whilst who I am and what I feel is very clear to me. I am ridiculously self-aware.

Further, everything I do must directly relate to me, or else, I become bored. And the complaints of others often seem very irrelevant and stupid to me as well. (Although the reason for that is because I have a mother who enjoys crying wolf a lot, so I have little tolerance for other people talking about their distress.) When I roleplay, I must be a character who is similar to me or has traits that I wish to emulate or I just don't feel very much of anything. In media, my favorite characters are those who I can see myself in. My entire existence is centered around relating things to myself, finding the similarities and differences between me and everything else. I constantly spend loads of time drawing representations of myself as well. Pokesonas, fursonas, or just my plain old human self. And fine-tweaking them eternally to feel exactly right in expressing me.

Yet because of the way I am, I have to overcompensate for my lack of understanding. I force myself into thinking about how I would feel in every situation that another is suffering, relating it directly to me and... well, if I become too close to a person, it becomes difficult to tell the difference between myself and them. It's the only way I can care about something easily, because of my generally detached nature to everything. So you could say that in a self-centered way, I become selfless. I attempt to apply the suffering of another to myself, and I end up acting with an excess of compassion. It becomes unhealthy at this point. That's something I'm working on.

A lot of the times as well, I'll disregard my own feelings over another person's, because they are outside of me and what I feel isn't as important due to the fact that I have more control. I can control my emotions, but I can't of these strange chaotic beings who exist outside of my world. And thus, I end up becoming overly concerned about their feelings, because I don't want to be yelled at or punished for being a bad person.

Basically, I am self-centered yet selfless simultaneously.

Back