• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Serperior VS [Samurott] VS Emboar

Which will it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • I'll go with Serperior, why? Because I have a soft spot for Grass Starters plus I chose one in Black.I turned it into a monster with TM and Training now she might be traded to Black 2 when I get it.So Serperior it is.

Years
  • It's a close tie between Serperior and Samurott.

Come on Samurott! Do it for my cute Oshawott!

I'll be annoyed if Serperior wins cos it has the worst movepool of the three.

And as expected I knew Emboar would fall behind for being "ugly".

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Samurott... I don't like these three starters. I think they're the worst of all generations... But there's one that's a little better than the others : the water-type. Anyway I always prefer the water-type.
    Emboar's design is just awful, and there's something that disturbs me with Serperior... Maybe because I wouldn't have imagined a starter to be a grass-type snake... Well, Samurott is less worse.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I never liked these starters, but I voted for Samurott because I actually used it in a playthrough. Oh, and it has a sick-nasty sword.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Serperior, which is, at least relative to other starters (of all generations), fast and defensive which is a rare configuration for anything in any video game. I guess it's a physical Sceptile plus access to Coil, but I'm not very familiar with starters since I don't use them; and Serperior is, despite its novel stat distribution, not built to how I would play a Grass-type though I would consider it for a Grass monotype challenge.

My expressed views don't seem very positive... it's not this generation, I'm just not enthusiastic about starters in general.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Samurott all day. After Gen I, he Water starter always has the most originality: They've used Grass/Poison and Fire/Fighting nearly every time, whereas we've had Water, Water/Ground, and Water/Steel.

(By the way, for Gen V I was really hoping for Grass/Psychic, Water/Fighting, Fire/Dark. Would've made a lot more sense IMO.)

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    the starters of this generation leaves much to be desired. although, i'd choose emboar over the other two because of his high attack stat and his potential to be a powerful offensive sweeper. i have a thing for those kinds of pokemon because usually i'd battle with an all offense team and perhaps with an occasional wall pokemon or something. the downside is that emboar is ridiculously slow and that's what'll render him hopeless if an opponent outruns him in a battle. in a sense, he's an utter disappointment to his legendary fire/fighting predecessors, infernape and blaziken - both of whom contributed a huge chunk of power to my gen 3 & 4 teams.

serperior was just completely useless in all aspects of battle (though i have to give it credit for having a high speed stat) and i had to dump it in the pc a little before i got to the victory road because it was holding my team down. as i've said, i often build an offensive team and serperior is by no means offensive at all. i haven't tried samurott yet but it's unlikely i'd ever even try to try him because i rarely veer out of my fire starter choice. snivy was just an exception because his design was intriguingly better than the two - but that's all there is to snivy and his evolution line anyway.

Last edited:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Emboar has the best look, but his fighting type is a betrayal of all players.

Samurot is my next choice. I only wish it was more clear that Samurot could stand up and draw a bone sword from his arm. If his sprite reflected this, I would be happier with his design.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Used all 3 on White post game and I'm comfortable with saying that Emboar's easily my personal favorite due to how hard it hits right off the bat compared to the other 2 and has decent coverage to boot as well. That and it's DW ability is amazing with Flare Blitz and a Choice Band equipped lol. And I love its design too, especially its shiny form. Granted its speed is much to be desired but at the very least it can learn Flame Charge to help patch up that drawback to an extent.

Years
  • I think that Serperior is my favorite. I chose Snivy first because the others didn't look very appealing. Plus I haven't choose grass very many times. I think that Serperior has the best design, and has pretty good base stats. It was okay in battle, with that nice speed. Once I trained it good, it was amazing. So, Serperior is superior!

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2013
    I vote for Tepig/Pignite/Emboar,and these are my reasons why.

pigs are cute,and I like them

Emboar's color design reminds me strongly of Ganon,which is Ganondorf's demon form.and of the gerudo colors and patterns.

Emboar can hurt you by fire,and by K.O. hits

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2013
    I really liked Snivy as the starter, and my personal favorite 3rd stage starter this generation is serperior. The name really matches the whole "attitude" of this poke.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Looks like Samurott won. o__O How unexpected and sad! Unstickying, keep posting if you wanna :)

Years
  • Well done Samurott! My cute Oshawott is now doing his victory dance.

Serperior VS [Samurott] VS Emboar

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    With each generation the starters keep getting weirder. I would have to say Serperior as my favorite of these though. That makes the first grass starter I have liked over the others. :)

Years
  • Samurott all the way <3 It has this fantastic move set that's very diverse, it can learn grass knot which was more handy than I ever thought it'd be and was a surprise to many of my opponents, besides it has a very cool design and I felt connected to it somehow "how nerdy".. it's easily one of my favorite pokes I must say!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Samurott all the way <3 It has this fantastic move set that's very diverse, it can learn grass knot which was more handy than I ever thought it'd be and was a surprise to many of my opponents, besides it has a very cool design and I felt connected to it somehow "how nerdy".. it's easily one of my favorite pokes I must say!

Nah that's not nerdy! I'm sure a lot of people have felt connected to their favourite starters. Emboar's certainly my favourite because I feel most comfortable with it, due to having the most experience with it - which could also count as being most connected to it n_n

Back