• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shading only events according to time of day

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2015
    In the settings script I disabled the shading. Instead I use different tilesets for morning, evening and night. My problem is: The events won't become darker at night. that looks pretty ugly to be honest so I was wondering if there is a way to make all the events darker.
    I thought about changing the shading script so only the events would become darker and not the whole map.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2020
    I cannot post links because I dont have +5 posts but mej71 has a script in Relic Castle ( go to tutorial and resources and check for "Apply tone to events")
    You'll have to check what time of the day is IsDay? etc and run it as a parallel process.

I can PM a link if you can't find it.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I thought about changing the shading script so only the events would become darker and not the whole map.
    Sounds like a plan to me. Why did you make this thread, then?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    In the settings script I disabled the shading.
    How did you do this? Did you set a variable to false? If you know this much, then you'll have realised that this variable is used in the scripts somewhere. Search the scripts for that variable, and figure out what each instance does (i.e. which graphics it causes to be shaded). Shading the tileset and shading events are separate, so you can disable one without touching the other. Replace the variable's name with the word "false" in the place that shades the tileset, and it won't. Then set the variable to true (i.e. the opposite of what you did to disable the shading originally), so that everything else will still be shaded as you want.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2015
    How did you do this? Did you set a variable to false? If you know this much, then you'll have realised that this variable is used in the scripts somewhere. Search the scripts for that variable, and figure out what each instance does (i.e. which graphics it causes to be shaded). Shading the tileset and shading events are separate, so you can disable one without touching the other. Replace the variable's name with the word "false" in the place that shades the tileset, and it won't. Then set the variable to true (i.e. the opposite of what you did to disable the shading originally), so that everything else will still be shaded as you want.
    Line 75 in PokemonTime seems to shade Tileset and Events...
    In Line 119 ENABLESHADING appears a second time but changing it doesn't change anything in the game...

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    My mistake. I didn't check the scripts to see if what I was saying was accurate.

ENABLESHADING appears in def pbDayNightTint, which seems pretty clear about what it does. So where is pbDayNightTint used? You'll want to delete a line containing a call to this method. Hint: the full line is pbDayNightTint(@viewport3).

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2015
    My mistake. I didn't check the scripts to see if what I was saying was accurate.

ENABLESHADING appears in def pbDayNightTint, which seems pretty clear about what it does. So where is pbDayNightTint used? You'll want to delete a line containing a call to this method. Hint: the full line is pbDayNightTint(@viewport3).
    I deleted Line 77 in AnimationSprite but still no changes to the Overworld...

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Instead of creating tilesets for night and evening and disabling tinting all together... you could have set the events you wanted to effect (windows, other light objects that shouldn't darken with every other event via tinting) by naming the event "RegularTone".

Essentials has this in Sprite_Character, right before pbDayNightTint(self). Make an event named RegularTone that has condition switch of only showing up in the evening and night with switch (15) PBDayNight.isNight? and switch (18) PBDayNight.isEvening? and you're all set.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2015
    Instead of creating tilesets for night and evening and disabling tinting all together... you could have set the events you wanted to effect (windows, other light objects that shouldn't darken with every other event via tinting) by naming the event "RegularTone".

Essentials has this in Sprite_Character, right before pbDayNightTint(self). Make an event named RegularTone that has condition switch of only showing up in the evening and night with switch (15) s:PBDayNight.isNight? and switch (18) s:PBDayNight.isEvening? and you're all set.

That's an idea but more work I think '^^

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    That's an idea but more work I think '^^

You made two extra tilesets and even started to delete lines you didn't need to. A few events versus 2 entire tileset swaps (for EVERY outdoor type of environment) is a lot less work to me, haha. But that's just me. I'm trying to save you a lot of wasted time and energy.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2015
    You made two extra tilesets and even started to delete lines you didn't need to. A few events versus 2 entire tileset swaps (for EVERY outdoor type of environment) is a lot less work to me, haha. But that's just me. I'm trying to save you a lot of wasted time and energy.

I got it :D So I'll do that now! Thanks everybody for helping me out!

Back