• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] ShantyTown's Sprites

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Hi, everyone. This was originally a thread for a single sprite I wanted critique for, but I decided to make it a real thread. I'll just be posting various sprites I make for my hack, Pokémon Maize. If you want to use them, please let me know.

Trainers:
    ShantyTown's Sprites

Pokémon Devamps:
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites

Last edited:

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
  • It's good, but I'm not too happy with the large white areas in his coat and hair; you have a lot of room to give them some texture and you never made use of even a little dithering on them.

It is actually possible to smooth out 2x2-pixel circles a little, at least better than you have with his buttons; it'd just be a checkerboard-ish pattern with black and the darker shade, and it at least makes them look less square.

Also, and this is some huge nitpicking, to keep it true to the first-gen style, I think you could have been a bit more generous with antialiasing than you have been, especially on his pants where there are large clumps of black pixels.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    It's good, but I'm not too happy with the large white areas in his coat and hair; you have a lot of room to give them some texture and you never made use of even a little dithering on them.

It is actually possible to smooth out 2x2-pixel circles a little, at least better than you have with his buttons; it'd just be a checkerboard-ish pattern with black and the darker shade, and it at least makes them look less square.

Also, and this is some huge nitpicking, to keep it true to the first-gen style, I think you could have been a bit more generous with antialiasing than you have been, especially on his pants where there are large clumps of black pixels.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try and add some more texture then. I definitely agree with everything you said.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Here's the second iteration (The original is underneath so you can compare):

New:
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites

Original:
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hi there! Usually the "recolor and fusions" thread is where to post small, single sprites like yours, but I can understand the name being misleading in this case, so don't worry about it. And since you're actively looking for constructive criticism and posting new content, I'm not going to close this thread. But please most more of your work because you have an amazing sense of first gen spriting and I, among many others, want to see more of your character models please!

Otherwise, your latest rendition of your sprite is excellent. It's actually looking like an intellectual character as opposed to Walter White, know what I mean? The way you tightened up the hair and dithered out the coat is much more emblematic of first gen sprites. Please keep it up. :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Hi there! Usually the "recolor and fusions" thread is where to post small, single sprites like yours, but I can understand the name being misleading in this case, so don't worry about it. And since you're actively looking for constructive criticism and posting new content, I'm not going to close this thread. But please most more of your work because you have an amazing sense of first gen spriting and I, among many others, want to see more of your character models please!

Otherwise, your latest rendition of your sprite is excellent. It's actually looking like an intellectual character as opposed to Walter White, know what I mean? The way you tightened up the hair and dithered out the coat is much more emblematic of first gen sprites. Please keep it up. :)

Thanks for your advice. Maybe I'll put in the other stuff I've done so it's a legitimate thread. My other stuff is mostly devamps.

Haha I didn't even notice the Walter White thing. Thanks for the feedback!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Here's a trainer sprite I worked on today. She's the fire-type Gym Leader. Feedback would be awesome:
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I did a second iteration because I didn't like parts of the first one:

New:
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites

Original:
    ShantyTown's Sprites
    ShantyTown's Sprites

Back