• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiftry or Cacturne?

Shiftry or Cacturne?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011
    The two Grass/Dark types of Gen III.
    Which do you find to be cooler, better, or whatever makes you like one more than the other?

Is it Shiftry the Wickid Pokemon?

Or Cacturne the Scarecrow Pokemon?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hmm... probably Cacturne. I've actually used it in a team before, and I like its design better. Shiftry looks like some type of witch with that hideous nose. :x And look at them feet! Are they supposed to represent shoes of some sort? =/ It just looks awkward, IMO.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like Shiftry for having fans for hands, but I like Cacturne better because it can use the Substitute + Focus Punch + Sucker Punch combination to frustrate opponents.

Years
  • To me, Cacturne's design is neater and far superior in comparison to Shiftry. I haven't used either of them extensively, so I can't compare their movesets or stats.

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
  • Man this is a really really tough decision. Both are equal for me... o_o
    They both have awesome designs and power.
    Oh what the heck! Cacturne! O_e

Garde

Fallen Angel
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2015
    For those who don't know, Shiftry is based on a tengu, a form of forest yokai with long noses and that pull pranks or worse on people in the woods. Shiftry's feet are based on geta, Japanese "flipflops". Just putting that out there for anyone who is convinced Shiftry is a jumble of fugly, he's actually a really cool and inspired Pokemon.

But I have to say I prefer Cacturne, I love cacti and I love the way his hat covers his gleaming eyes. The creepy scarecrow mouth is really neat too.

Ayselipera

I love both of them, but unfortunately I've only used Shiftry on one of my teams. I've said to myself a million times in the past that I would use a Cacturne, but the idea always gets scrapped at the end.

Looking at their stats I prefer Shiftry even though it has a higher attack then special attack, which I don't care for in grass type Pokemon. It has a much better speed and a better HP that I find to be a little more useful then Cacturne who is a lot slower yet does have higher offensive stats. On the other hand I find Cacturne's move-pool to be a lot more useful then Shiftry's. Since its moves seem to cater to its stats a bit better.

Speaking strictly on design I prefer Shiftry also. It looks a lot more sinister and threatening then Cacturne does. Meaning it fits its dark type side well. Still as I said before I really do love both and I am looking forward to eventually using Cacturne on a future team of mine.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Shiftry or Cacturne?
    Vs.
    Shiftry or Cacturne?
    ?

Interesting...

They tied judging by looks.

I've used them both, and even though Shiftry is difficult early in the game, I'd vote him over Cacturne because he got higher speed.

Years
  • Shiftry for me, mainly because I like its looks better and because I never actually used Cacturne in a battle.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • This came really close, but I chose Shiftry. I just think that the Shiftry family is cooler than the Cacturne one. And besides, Cacturne is kinda scary once you look at it closely.

Maj. Cor

With love, grace and strength.
    Years
  • Shiftry, because Cacturne doesn't deliver the goods quite like Shiftry does.​

aglaya

Duchess of Heracross
    Years
  • Cacturne. I love Scarecrows, and the Needle Arm attack is just so cool. So yeah, I love Cacturnes, even if Harley has one.

And Shiftry always kinda creeped me out, though I like Nuzleaf.

Last edited:
    Back