• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiftry or Cacturne?

Shiftry or Cacturne?

• Total voters

MiniM00se

Toad in a stroller
Years
  • I think Shiftry looks cooler, but if I were to choose one to be on a team, it would probably be Cacturne.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I like Shirtry better because he is faster and I like grass type better than ground type.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • Cacturne...rockz!

Cacturne. Being Dark means to look sinister and scare off your opponents, which means Cacturne has it if you really look at him, especially the eyes and scarecrow shape 0.o
    I used both of them in battle, but I'd rather go with power than speed. Shiftry has the speed and high hp to cover for the lower defense, but Cacturne has a higher attack and has a good movepool that has to do with status, which I am good to wield.
    In the end, I love Cacturne, my 7th favorite Pokemon.

Ayselipera

I like Shirtry better because he is faster and I like grass type better than ground type.

I think you might be confused with a different Pokemon. Both Shiftry and Cacturne are dual grass/dark types. xD

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    Well, lets have a large comparison shall we?

Shiftry:
    - Higher speed
    - Higher HP
    - Access to chlorophyl
    - Access to a few moves Cacturne dosen't get (Rock Slide, X-scissor etc.)

Cacturne:
    - Higher attack/SP attack
    - One of the few non Rock/Steel/Ground pokemon that dosen't take damage from sandstorm (provided you have Sand Veil)
    - Can set up Spikes

As you can tell by my avatar, i am obviously choosing Cacturne. He has higher attack and a much cooler design in my opinion :3

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    `I haven't used them both really, but I have seen one of my friends who owns a Cacturne and he's pretty smart when it comes to Pokemon, so I do choose Cacturne over Shiftry.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Being a Nuzlocker I love the Shiftry. well more so nuzleaf but whatever

Shiftry also has more varaity with Extrasensory, but Cacturne gets Poison Jab.

Shiftry has a better BST but Cacturne gets Water Absorb.

Shiftry is fast, though Cacturne has Sucker Punch.

Imo Shiftry is better at Special Attacking (Cacturne has more Sp.Atk but Shiftry has NastyPlot) and Cacturne is a better Physical Attacker (Sucker Punch)

Another note is that Shiftry gets Explosion and Cacturne gets Spikes.

4th Gen = Shiftry > Cacturne

5th Gen = Shiftry < Cacturne

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I've actually trained a Shiftry so I'm gonna go with it, even though I really have no big preference.

:( I also have something against Cacnea/Cacturne since I can never remember Cacturne's name and always try to say "Cactuar" when doing that name-every-third-gen-pokemon-in-fifteen-minutes game.

Back