• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks to your BGB advice, I've managed to properly modify ROMs. Previously I've used "Game Boy ROM Analyzer" to change "Destination Code" and fix the checksum. It seems, this tool has done on ROMs more than I can handle. Problem was with v1.23.15 and on "EZ Flash Junior" as well. But with BGB's Debugger it works as intended. I've attached photos of wrong ("Game Boy ROM Analyzer") and correct (BGB) outcomes.

Thanks. Looks like Gameboy Rom Analyzer needs to be deprecated. I'll remove references to it in documentation.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    New update incoming

Shin Pokemon is ramping up for its v1.24 release. Just finished recording voice lines for a trailer. ETA is September 28th to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Pokemon in the US.

Last edited:
    Years
  • New update incoming

Shin Pokemon is ramping up for its v1.24 release. Just finished recording voice lines for a trailer. ETA is September 28th to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Pokemon in the US.

well there's sort of a 1.24 release on the romhacking.net site that I saw yesterday

is there a way to revert the AI switch pokemon? i didnt liked it too much (i dont want be rude, my english is not the best)

why? I like the improved AI switch pokemon feature in this game - makes things more challenging

would be cool if a future version of shin pokemon will include the improved Itemfinder function from pureRGB

and also from the yellow cramorant game as well as that one features the "improved" itemfinder function - and the newest version of that one has both expanded or increased bag item storage & pc item storage space.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    well there's sort of a 1.24 release on the romhacking.net site that I saw yesterday

I wanted to create an entry and have it go live later, but RHDN doesn't really work that way due to needing mod approvals for everything. As a result, the RHDN entry is in soft-launch. There may or may not be last-minute fixes over the next week as I continue to review the git commits before the final repository merge. EDIT: yeah, I just found a minor bug when you forfeit a battle against the rival.

would be cool if a future version of shin pokemon will include the improved Itemfinder function from pureRGB

I get on well with Vortiene, so I don't want to blatantly copy what he did. That said, I have a few ideas I want to experiment with.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    is there a way to revert the AI switch pokemon? i didnt liked it too much (i dont want be rude, my english is not the best)

Not as of right now. I'm thinking about making this a setting on the option menu, active by default but able to be deactivated.

- take away 60 fps patch? like delete the option to set it?
    Enabling someone to completely remove the 60FPS feature will not receive support. Anyone can fork the project and do it on his own.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi hi, thought I'd ask, does this run smoothly on the Myboy GBC emulator?

No idea. I develop with BGB on Windows. But I have heard good things about Pizza Boy when it comes to dedicated GBC emulators on android. No, ignore me. Last I checked Pizza Boy had issues. Not sure if its been improved in the time since.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pre-release time is over. Now the v1.24 release of Shin Pokemon is officially locked and loaded, along with a HUGE changelog from version 1.23 that's been over a year in the making.

Today is September 28th, 2023. This release of Shin Pokemon commemorates the 25th anniversary of Pokemon Red and Blue's release in North America. It was the day that myself and millions of other kids had their minds collectively blown.

If you downloaded patches from before Sept 24th, please re-download patches and re-patch your game to apply a critical hotfix affecting the hall of fame.

Attachments

• changelog_from_v1.23.txt
      26.1 KB · Views: 14
    Years
  • No idea. I develop with BGB on Windows. But I have heard good things about Pizza Boy when it comes to dedicated GBC emulators on android.

though the latest version of My Boy! emulator is not free (but doesn't cost much to buy). there was also My Boy! Lite but that one hasn't been updated for several years

===

perhaps maybe in the next version of shin pokemon try to include this little improvement from the latest version of the pokemon cramorant edition game:

Faster FLY menu. Scrolling through towns now no longer has a delay, and players can now fly to the Poke Centers by Mt. Moon and Rock Tunnel.

Flying to the poke centers on Mt. Moon (Route 4) and Rock Tunnel (Route 10) were possible in the original FireRed & LeafGreen games

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    perhaps maybe in the next version of shin pokemon try to include this little improvement from the latest version of the pokemon cramorant edition game:

>>Faster FLY menu. Scrolling through towns now no longer has a delay, and players can now fly to the Poke Centers by Mt. Moon and Rock Tunnel.

Flying to the poke centers on Mt. Moon (Route 4) and Rock Tunnel (Route 10) were possible in the original FireRed & LeafGreen games

The fly menu has already been made faster. Per shinpokered's latest readme file:
    - Tweaked the fly menu to be more responsive and snappy
    Not sure when exactly I did it. I was trying to debug something at one time and the fly menu was annoying me, so I drastically reduced the delay and never changed it back.

As for adding the two route pokemarts, probably not. The original intent by Satoshi Tajiri looks to be that Fly only takes you to towns, not routes. It's a very 90s-JRPG trope. Besides, I don't want to mess with the town map order for fly since it has been burned into my muscle memory for 25 years.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Probably a dumb question but I can't find the answer: how do I build the rom with the SGB palette/shade active as the default (instead of the GBC one)?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Probably a dumb question but I can't find the answer: how do I build the rom with the SGB palette/shade active as the default (instead of the GBC one)?

Go to super_palettes.asm

One line below SuperPalettes: you should add GBCBasePalettes:
    SuperPalettes:
    GBCBasePalettes:
    ; PAL_ROUTE
    SGB_WHITE
    RGB 21,28,11
    RGB 20,26,31
    RGB 3,2,2

Go to gbc_palettes.asm
    Rename GBCBasePalettes: to something innocuous like GBCBasePalettes_unused:

Compile.

Now the Red/Blue SGB palette values will be used on the GBC.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks. Just one more thing, how do I hide/remove the version number?

EDIT:

I built a jpblue ROM with the _SWBACKS flag, except I wanted the regular backsprites for Red and the old man, so I edited main.asm to this:

Code:
    SECTION "Pics 7", ROMX, BANK[PICS_7]
    INCLUDE "constants/pic_banks/pic7.asm"
    MissingnoPic::         INCBIN "pic/other/missingno.pic"
    IF DEF(_SWBACKS)
    	RedPicBack::           INCBIN "pic/trainerback/redb.pic"
    	OldManPic::            INCBIN "pic/trainerback/oldman.pic"
    ELSE
    	RedPicBack::           INCBIN "pic/swtrainerback/redb.pic"
    	OldManPic::            INCBIN "pic/swtrainerback/oldman.pic"
    ENDC

I thought that's all I needed to do, but I got this issue:

Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks. Just one more thing, how do I hide/remove the version number?
    main_menu.asm
    Go to

VersionText:
    db "v1.24.0M@"

and change it to

VersionText:
    db "@"

and it should print nothing

I built a jpblue ROM with the _SWBACKS flag, except I wanted the regular backsprites for Red and the old man, so I edited main.asm to this:

Code:
    SECTION "Pics 7", ROMX, BANK[PICS_7]
    INCLUDE "constants/pic_banks/pic7.asm"
    MissingnoPic::         INCBIN "pic/other/missingno.pic"
    IF DEF(_SWBACKS)
    	RedPicBack::           INCBIN "pic/trainerback/redb.pic"
    	OldManPic::            INCBIN "pic/trainerback/oldman.pic"
    ELSE
    	RedPicBack::           INCBIN "pic/swtrainerback/redb.pic"
    	OldManPic::            INCBIN "pic/swtrainerback/oldman.pic"
    ENDC

I thought that's all I needed to do, but I got this issue:

The spaceworld back sprites are a different size. Spaceworld is 48x48 pixels (same as gen 2) while original red/green backs are 32x32. As a result, they use different decompression functions. You cannot mix and match back sprite sizes.

Try editing the original old man and trainer red back sprite png files to be 48x48 and use those.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Curious to ask, will you ever release q version in which the 60 fps feature takes place in the battle as well? Also, will you be releasing a version in which both, the front and back sprites of the space world are present as opposed to just thr back?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Curious to ask, will you ever release q version in which the 60 fps feature takes place in the battle as well?
    It already is, from a technical perspective. To make battles smoother is a matter of adding more frames to every battle animation. That's not in the future outlook right now.

Also, will you be releasing a version in which both, the front and back sprites of the space world are present as opposed to just thr back?

No. The Spaceworld 97 front sprites are a mishmash of designs recycled from Pokemon Blue and designs specifically meant for Gold & Silver. Gen 2 content is out of scope.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    They do:

But the issue remains.

There's something wrong with your image. All I did was copy over the RG image, resized it in MS Paint, and saved it. Didn't give me any issues.

Attachments

• Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)
      bgb00038.png
      920 bytes · Views: 5
    • Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)
      redb.png
      603 bytes · Views: 112
    Back